It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2003, 09:38 AM   #1

tim77 HB User
Unhappy Bad case of shingles ( at 29)

I am a 29 year old man.I have shingles. I recently had surgery on my appendix and I think that is what brought it on. The shingles rash is on my left cheek and it hurts SO bad! My doctor gave me Zovirex and a pain medicine. I have a couple of questions about the whole thing.
1. I thought the only symptons of shingles is a painful rash. I have a really bad fever, I hurt all over and I have been vomiting. I also am so tired that I am on bedrest. Is this normal?

2. Should I cover the rash with a gauze pad to protect or should I let it breathe? Everyone who is in contact with me has already had chicken pox so that is not an issue. My wife says I should let it breathe but I want to cover my shingles up because it makes me feel ugly and I am really embaressed about it.

3. Does shingles mess with your emotions or something? I have been feeling extra sensitive and I have been crying over things that normally would not make me cry...is this normal or I am just an altogether freak?

4. Has anyone out there had shingles? If so what made you feel better? I am weak and miserable so any advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 04-26-2003, 07:23 AM   #2

ladybug7064 HB User
Hi - My husband had a bad case of shingles at 34. His was on the left side of his face and in his eye. He was in such incredible pain and was also vomiting. He was in bed for four-five days only getting up to use the restroom. It was awful! He was literally crying from the pain. His rash was on his scalp so we didn't have the issue of covering it or not. So I can't offer you much on that issue. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in getting it so young and to let you know that it is indeed very painful, you can have a fever from it (my husband did), he too was very sleepy and vomitted. As for the sensitivity, that is probably just related to being in such pain and so tired. My husband cried a lot while going through it too. His entire illness lasted several weeks but the worst part of it only lasted 4-5 days.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 09:31 AM   #3

happylush HB User
I had the shingles at 23yrs old. I got a mild case that went across my right shoulderblade and had a few spots under my arms. Two weeks before I had it, I felt like I had appendicitis, and went to the dr, and all my symptoms matched appy, but then my blood test came out fine. My rash lasted about 3 weeks and hurt like crazy, felt like someone was poking it with needles. I think it was related to stress and bad nutrition. I would leave it uncovered, I think it would heal faster.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:35 PM   #4

sistaluv HB User
Ya I know I am probably going to get slammed by some doctor for writing this very opinionated post, but my theory is that alot of these herpes related viruses are caused by vaccinations. Think about it.....alot if not all vaccines contain herpes viruses (you can look it up) along with alot of other nasty un-natural things. When injected in the body.....who knows where they go exactly?
Herpes can lie dormant for years before causing a problem....sometimes you can carry it but never get it!

All I can say is that I got some kind of a herpes related thing that covered half my face when I was only 9 years old.....nobody that I knew had it none of my relatives...and I was not sexually active. it spread from the side of my cheek all the way up to my ear...then a few months later I had these sores all over the inside of my mouth and on my tongue....which could have been strep related though. A few years later I got my first cold sore....nasty terrible looking thing. And now ever since....I am 27 I get the cold sore back almost every year sometimes more! And it has grown to monsterous proportions...to the point I can't even leave my house with out a hospital mask....I am so embarrased.

I can relate to the elevated emotions though....I get overly emotional.....for one the tingling pain, which I imagine to be similar to shingles because it is a virus that lives in your nerves like herpes cold sores....it's like you can feel it rushing through your nerves (not a fun feeling). Secondly it's hideous so that makes you more sad, but I do suspect that it affecting your nerves probably has something to do with the emotions.

All I know is that in the 15 years or more that I have been dealing with this virus...I have never given it to one single person...strange.....I mean if I never saw it but I got it...then how do you explain my never giving it to anybody????? Also when you are first getting it in the pre and post stages it is supposedly contagious....I have kissed my boyfriend at night and woke up with one in the morning....how come he never got it??? I used to share everything with my best friend...same story she never got it!!! I kiss my daughter on the cheek.....you know!! When you are first getting it you don't know you are so it's almost unavoidable to completely prevent any cross contamination....but still why has nobody else caught it?????

Just my theory....needs a little more research....I am no scientist, just a concerned parent who does not believe in over vaccinating.

PS. my friends daughter got shingles (on her arm) at 3 years old after recieving the chicken pox vaccine....the doctor admitted that was probably the cause!

Old 09-17-2003, 10:16 PM   #5
(female)

Susannah HB User
Try using Tagamet to help treat the shingles. I know it sounds weird, but if you look up Tagamet and herpes on a search engine, you'll see it's legit. Tagamet is a good antiviral (and cheap, especially now that Walgreens has their own generic brand). And, I know it works. I used it when I had mono (another herpes virus). I'd had mono for over a month, and the doc suggested the Tagamet. I was over it within a week after that!

Susannah

Closed Thread