It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Shingles rash started eight days ago. Had 2 days of severe burning pain. What's next?

I had come home from the dentist the previous day, which was on Monday. Then, on Tuesday, I had three bumps on my upper left leg that seemed like either flea bites, mosquito bites, red ant bites or spider bites, which I thought that I had probably got between going to the dentist and coming home. On the next couple of days, the bites started to get bigger, then an intense, burning pain set in.

I then reasoned that they were spider bites, because they were painfully effecting muscles and nerves. I thought, "what else could it be"?

The next day, I noticed red splotches or bumps in several other places on the upper leg. Hmmm!? It had to be something other than an insect bite. But... what?!

After looking up on the Internet about burning pain and a rash, Shingles popped up. Hoha! The light-bulb went on! I had Shingles.

I wanted to know what to do about the intense, burning pain. I wanted to know how to get rid of the Shingles.

Anyways... although the rash is still spreading and it is now also on my left buttock, the pain has greatly decreased, for which I am very grateful. That was some nasty pain!

I've just ordered some Abreva in order to treat the blotches/bumps. I am just wondering what others have gone thru? How long did it take for you to get over Shingles? Did it come back? How bad was the pain?

My severe pain lasted about two days. Currently, at times, I will get some aching pain, especially in my left hip, but it is tolerable. Once the severe, burning pain is gone, does it ever come back?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 08-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Shingles rash started eight days ago. Had 2 days of severe burning pain. What's n

Before you diagnose yourself I think you should see a doctor to look at this. shingles will usually occur around the middle of the torso on one side only. It's not so much a rash but rather, painful contagious blisters, even wearing a shirt can cause intense burning and pain, and the nerve pain from it can last a very long time, often months and in some cases even years, but what you describe doesn't sound like typical shingles.

Last edited by captjane; 07-16-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Shingles rash started eight days ago. Had 2 days of severe burning pain. What's n

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjane View Post
Before you diagnose yourself I think you should see a doctor to look at this.
Hi captjane! I really appreciate your quick response! Thanks for taking the time to quickly give me your input.

About seeing a doctor? I hate going to doctors. I refuse to go to a doctor unless I have no other choice. Call me stubborn, but I have had much more success in treating my ailments with my close friend and advisor, the Internet. As proof...... look how fast I got some meaningful, quick response on this thread!

Quote:
shingles will usually occur around the middle of the torso on one side only.
I've got it all over the front of my upper left leg and my left buttock. And..... it looks exactly like pictures I've seen on the Internet.

Quote:
It's not so much a rash but rather, painful contagious blisters, even wearing a shirt can cause intense burning and pain, and the nerve pain from it can last a very long time, often months and in some cases even years,
Mine is more like a bunch of bumps and blotches, some of which look like they have started, or want to start blistering.

Each morning, when I wake up, I notice more bumps and blotches!

After I determined that it was Shingles, I was very much apprehensive over the fact that it could cause lasting, burning, intense pain for week, months, or even for a lifetime. I then noticed that the antiviral medication needs to be taken within the first three days, for it to be significantly effective. I had already had the Shingles for at least a week by the time I figured out what it was.

So..... I've been treating the Shingles with anti-itch ointment; daily moisturizing lotion with oatmeal and aloe; exercise; electro-acupuncture stimulation with my KWD-808-I stimulator and I've got some Abreva on order.

I think that my novel approach to the treatment of my Shingles is why I was able to limit the intense burning pain to only two days. If I don't keep up my treatment regimen, I feel that the intense pain could come back. Man! That was some nasty, intense, burning pain!

Quote:
but what you describe doesn't sound like typical shingles.
I agree with you. Buts..... since it seems to be getting better, it is telling me that what I am doing is working.

Did you use Abreva for your Shingles? Were you able to get rid of your pain, only to get it back at a later time? Have you had a re-occurrence of your Shingles? How bad was your pain, and how long did it last?

Thanks again for your quick response!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-16-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Dod you use Abreva for your Shingles? Were you able to get rid of your pain, only to get it back at a later time? Have you had a re-occurrence of your Shingles? How bad was your pain, and how long did it last?

Thanks again for your quick response!
It was my husband who had shingles, and after just a couple of days he was already blistering and was in incredible pain. He did have the antivirals but they didn't work, it took several weeks for the blisters to heal but he was left with very deep nerve pain and burning for several months after that. that was about 5 years ago and he hasn't had a recurrence. He didn't even know he had chicken pox as a child, but when the shingles appeared he asked his mother and she told him he had chicken pox when he was around 2 years old so he didn't remember it.

The Following User Says Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
Machaon (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
It was my husband who had shingles, and after just a couple of days he was already blistering and was in incredible pain.
Sorry about your husband's bout with Shingles! The pain can be pretty bad. Mine was a burning pain that lasted for only a couple of days. But.... the rash goes on and continues to spread. I am now getting some blistering.

Fortunately, at this time, I am just getting some aching pain in my hip and buttock areas. But, the fact that the rash is still alive and spreading, pain or not, worries me!

Quote:
He did have the antivirals but they didn't work,
I considered going in for antivirals and pain medication. But, I did not figure out what it was soon enough. Plus.... I am on medication for my heart failure and permanent a-fib, so I am reluctant to try new medications on top of my existing medications.

If this condition doesn't worsen and only spreads without any burning pain, I'll just let it do it's thing, and keep doing my own treatment regimen.

Quote:
it took several weeks for the blisters to heal but he was left with very deep nerve pain and burning for several months after that.
Wow! That must have been quite a terrible experience! Several months of intense, burning pain. He must have thought that he would have to live with the pain forever! How did he manage to get through it? I suffered from nasty pain for just a couple of days and it was sapping me of my spirit and determination!

Quote:
that was about 5 years ago and he hasn't had a recurrence.
Does he still suffer from some nerve damage and pain?

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I sit here tonight at 10pm, reflecting on my newly encountered misfortune, called: Shingles.

It's somewhat ironic. I think to myself, "I've waited almost 70 years to wake up in the morning with what??? Shingles?! What the hell is that!?"

I've had heart failure. I know what caused it, and it was my fault. It was my stupidity and I've had to deal with it!

We've been fighting termites. Well..... that's to be expected down here in South Florida.

Insulin Resistance?? Well..... if one eats and snacks like I did for decades, what else can one expect?!

But... to wake up one morning with a stupid, painful, burning rash; and then find out that it could have been caused by a virus that had been dormant in my body for 7 decades!!! I look up towards the heavens with exasperation and angst about the unfairness of fate and luck.

I've just gotten my very painful, bleeding hemorrhoids under control; fixed a couple of leaks on the roof; found out how to avoid my breathing problems at night, had three teeth pulled, and eliminated termites in my addition. I thought that I was home free for a while. But..... no way! Just when I figured that I could sit back, pop a bag of popcorn, relax and watch the world go by in my old age; I get zapped by stupid, insidious, unreasonable, unexpected, ugly, painful, "no reason for this to happen" Shingles!

Oh well. It could have been something worse, right? I know people who have to go through much worse health and personal problems. So, I guess I will just accept that which I cannot change; look down at my very ugly rash on my leg and feel better, and somewhat relieved, that it isn't something worse!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
I considered going in for antivirals and pain medication. But, I did not figure out what it was soon enough. Plus.... I am on medication for my heart failure and permanent a-fib, so I am reluctant to try new medications on top of my existing medications.
my husband got on antivirals quite quickly, it was the third day but they didn't seem to do anything for him. I'm not really convinced they can shut down shingles that well.

Quote:
wow! That must have been quite a terrible experience! Several months of intense, burning pain. He must have thought that he would have to live with the pain forever! How did he manage to get through it? I suffered from nasty pain for just a couple of days and it was sapping me of my spirit and determination! Does he still suffer from some nerve damage and pain?
It was really miserable for him and he tried all sort of creams etc but nothing seemed to shut down the deep pain. After quite a few months we were starting to wonder if the pain would ever go away for him but eventually it did, I suspect the virus has to go completely dormant again before that happens. He doesn't have pain any more though.

shingles it a strange thing, my husband was 2 when he had chicken pox and he got shingles at around 38 so the virus was dormant for around 36 years but it just seems to work that way. His doctor said it can be triggered by stress or just being run down and the virus seems to take the opportunity to become active again.

I hope you don't have to go through what my DH did, it was such a long miserable condition that really affected his life at the time. I could tell he was in pain every day and it really did get him down having to deal with it for so long.

The Following User Says Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
Machaon (07-17-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... It was really miserable for him and he tried all sort of creams etc but nothing seemed to shut down the deep pain.
I am so sorry for what your husband, and you, had to endure during his nasty encounter with the Shingles misery. It's great that he has been able to recover from that dark, painful long period of misery.

I've had some promising results. I've been treating my Shingles rash with Arnicare gel. It is homeopathic and sold everywhere. It is quickly absorbed, which is nice, unscented and non-greasy. It's supposed to relieve muscle pain, stiffness, swelling and bruising.

So..... I've been using it for several days. I can't say just how effective it is, but it does make my rash areas feel better. It doesn't seem to do much for the pain and discomfort since I still have to take tylenol, motrin and a pain reliever.

Last night I received my order of two tubes of Abreva, an anti-viral cream that targets cold sores. I waited until this morning around 4am to put it on. I did not want to use it last night, just in case it would cause a bad reaction. I did not want to be up all night because of an additional reaction, along with the discomfort from the Shingles.

Well....... I just applied some more Arnicare. My rash looked better. The sores looked smaller. I had been taking pictures of the rash each day to help me to see if it was getting better or not. The rash has gotten significantly better!

My quandary: Was it the Arnicare pain ointment or was it the one application of Abreva? The Abreva tube is very VERY tiny. I have enough in the first tube to treat it one more time, which will be around 4pm today.

I'll just keep treating the rash areas with Arnicare, Abreva, exercise, icing and heating and hope for the best. I've got more Arnicare and Abreva on order, just in case the Shingles wants to play around with me.

Have a nice weekend!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... The rash has gotten significantly better! ...
edit: I went to the doctor, for my Singles, at Cleveland Clinic. He prescribed pain medication and Valacyclovir HCL (Valtrex) 1 gram tablet, an anti-virus medication for the treatment of Shingles.

I've now had Shingles for three weeks. The rash on my upper left leg and my left buttock have both continued to improve. It's now into more of an itching stage. The itching isn't too bad but, if I touch a few of the itching sores, the sore instantly hurts! Most of the itching sores are not painful to the touch. Regardless, I just leave the rash and the sores alone.

I continue to treat the sores with ice, heat, Abreva, Arnica, and body oil with oatmeal. I just started crushing up a Valacyclovir HCL (Valtrex) 1 gram tablet; removing as much of the blue coating and mixing it with body lotion with oatmeal to make a paste that I can apply to the entire upper left leg or left buttock. I don't want to take the Valtrex by mouth.

My biggest problem, at present, is an aching left hip area, mostly at night, which isn't really too bad. It's nothing that I cannot tolerate. I feel very lucky that it hasn't been worse. I've read some real nightmare stories about Shingles.

edit- 7/29/2013: I am now seeing such a nice, fast improvement since I started making my own salve using the Valtrex, that I am going to ONLY use the Valtrex salve from now on. No Abreva, no Arnica, and no body oil with oatmeal.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 08-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
(female)

lilipunzel HB User

I started having shooting pains in my head over 4 weeks ago. The pain increased and then the blisters started. My left side of my head in the hair was covered, down my back to the front of my neck, into my ear and jaw. Currently I am in week 5. It hurts to chew, my ear still cant be touched and the skin on my neck and shoulder are extremely sensitive. I am still getting headaches and feel like vomiting from the pain. I have tried everything for pain and nothing really works. The blisters were not aproblem for me but rather the excrucitaing tasering like jabs, stabbing pains and burning all over that large area. Does this ever end?

I made an appt with a naturpath as traditional medicine hasnt helped me. I read that Olive leaves might help the pain. I guess I got a really nasty case of shingles that doesnt want to go away. Any suggestions on what helps this severe pain?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: lilipunzel
catkaru (08-08-2013), Machaon (08-07-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilipunzel View Post
I started having shooting pains in my head over 4 weeks ago. The pain increased and then the blisters started. My left side of my head in the hair was covered, down my back to the front of my neck, into my ear and jaw.
Sorry to hear about your nasty Shingles attack! I am starting my fifth week and am off the pain pills and off the Gabapentin, although I still can't shake the achy annoying hip discomfort.

Quote:
Currently I am in week 5. It hurts to chew, my ear still cant be touched and the skin on my neck and shoulder are extremely sensitive. I am still getting headaches and feel like vomiting from the pain. I have tried everything for pain and nothing really works. The blisters were not a problem for me but rather the excruciating tasering like jabs, stabbing pains and burning all over that large area. Does this ever end?
I have read that Shingles pain can last for quite a long time.

Are you able to sleep at night? I get very little sleep at night.

Quote:
I made an appt with a naturpath as traditional medicine hasnt helped me. I read that Olive leaves might help the pain. I guess I got a really nasty case of shingles that doesnt want to go away. Any suggestions on what helps this severe pain?
The most successful pain medication for my Shingles (which was milder than yours), is Gabapentin 300mg, 3 times a day. It eased my pain and discomfort during the second day that I was on it. It caused constipation, indigestion, lots of gas and loss of appetite, but it took away most of my discomfort.

Has your doctor tried you on 300mg or 600 mg Gabapentin, 3 times a day?

I threw everything that I could at my blisters, from Abreva, to Arnicare, to icing, to heating, to demanding exercise; and now am crushing up a Valacyclovir HCL (Valtrex) 1 gram tablet; removing as much of the blue coating and mixing it with body lotion and letting the mixture sit overnight to dissolve the Valtrex. I will be crushing up another pill tonight for use tomorrow.

I don't know if any of the things that I did helped to make my Shingles milder, but I am going to continue with the Valtrex and body oil until mine is totally gone some day. The welts on my butt have faded much more than the welts and rash on my upper front leg. They are still sore to the touch.

I sure hope that you can soon get some relief from your pain and agony, and start seeing some progress towards recovery!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 08-05-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
(female)

kichi HB User

hello machaon, how are you with your shingles? i hope you are well. i had shingles a couple of years ago. it is important to get to the doctor quickly to get the antibiotics. also, take astragalus. the seconde time i got my outbreak of shingles i started on the astragalus immediately and within three days i was fine. astragalus helps your body make more white blood cells.

The Following User Says Thank You to kichi For This Useful Post:
Machaon (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichi View Post
hello machaon, how are you with your shingles? i hope you are well.
The rash and sores are continuing to improve. I have been off all pain medications for about three days. I am into my 5th week of Shingles.

The pain and discomfort is at it's worst in the morning, but tolerable. I have a constant hip ache, but tolerable.

Thanks for asking!

Quote:
i had shingles a couple of years ago. it is important to get to the doctor quickly to get the antibiotics.
I assume you mean, the antivirals, not antibiotics. The problem with getting to the doctor quickly is that I did not realize what I had until about a week after I first got it. I thought that it was insect bites.

Quote:
also, take astragalus. the seconde time i got my outbreak of shingles i started on the astragalus immediately and within three days i was fine. astragalus helps your body make more white blood cells.
Thanks for the information on astragalus. I will look into it!

How long did your first outbreak of Shingles last? How bad was the pain? Where did you get it? Mine is on the front of my left upper leg and on my left butt.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilipunzel View Post
... Currently I am in week 5. It hurts to chew, my ear still cant be touched and the skin on my neck and shoulder are extremely sensitive. I am still getting headaches and feel like vomiting from the pain. ...
I am really concerned about how you are doing. Please let me know when your Shingles starts getting better and the pain more tolerable.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... crushing up a Valacyclovir HCL (Valtrex) 1 gram tablet; removing as much of the blue coating and mixing it with body lotion and letting the mixture sit overnight to dissolve the Valtrex. ...
I did not make a Valtrex ointment for yesterday and the rash and discomfort was worse. So.... last night I started making and applying the Valtrex ointment and today the rash looks better and I feel better with less ache and less soreness. Coincidence? Who knows?

I think that using the Abreva, for my Shingles, was a total waste of time and money.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Reply Reply