It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Question Shingles Pain - Laser LLLT and Led Therapy

Wondered if anyone had tried laser and/or LED techniques to combat shingles pain - especially residual pain such as postherpetic neuralgia?
Techniques such as LLLT - cold laser or soft laser, as it is known are becoming much more available.
There is one new device that is claimed to be effective combining LLLT, LED and infrared, called the B-cure or LLLT-808. It's fairly expensive at about $700 so you really need to known it works before you try it. It's used in clinics (or similar devices are) so maybe someone has been treated with the device.
Any help or comments appreciated.
Beefy.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Shingles Pain - Laser LLLT and Led Therapy

Hi Beefsteak!

It's an interesting idea. I'm just getting over a bout with Shingles. I was lucky. It turned out to be a mild case, with intense pain for two days and then annoying pain for a few weeks, especially at night. Most of the pain is gone. I feel only a little sensitivity and slight numbness and most of the time I've forgotten that I ever had Shingles.

I would be curious to know how laser or led treatment would be able to effect the infected, painful nerves deep under the skin and within the muscles.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Hi Beefsteak!

It's an interesting idea. I'm just getting over a bout with Shingles. I was lucky. It turned out to be a mild case, with intense pain for two days and then annoying pain for a few weeks, especially at night. Most of the pain is gone. I feel only a little sensitivity and slight numbness and most of the time I've forgotten that I ever had Shingles.

I would be curious to know how laser or led treatment would be able to effect the infected, painful nerves deep under the skin and within the muscles.
Hi Machaon, Thanks for the reply.
I had shingles about 12 months ago (a massive attack - so bad the Dr went and got other Drs and a student to show them - he also got his camera out and photographed me front and back!). This was probably because my immune system was degraded after chemo. and radio therapy. Anyway on a pain scale of 1 to 10 my present "residual" pain is about 1 or so. Like you, most of the time I can forget it, but it is sore to touch and sometimes I get twinges when sitting or if I move.
What I am talking about is trying to clear it up altogether. Whether that's possible or not is the question. There is no established way that I know of - probably no-one has found one yet. I have tried cortisone injections into the sore areas (@$50 a pop), and acupuncture (4 or so sessions at $80ea.) - I gave up on those, although I felt acupuncture - in the right hands - might have worked.
The nerves that give out the pain are not infected as such now - it's that they were infected, and because I didn't know what I had and did not get treatment early enough, they have not healed correctly. So basically I'm left with nerve endings that are faulty. My thinking is something that disrupts these nerves and causes them to "re-heal" might be a way to improvement. (I would emphasize how important it is for ppl to recognise shingles and get proper antiviral treatment urgently - at the earliest possible stage - that was my downfall.)
So I'm looking at cold laser or LLLT, and maybe ultrasound and deep penetrating LED and infrared, as the next step. I don't think massage would work and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tried it. We need to reset the nerves, and how hard this is I'm not sure. Someone here said that they had surgery to cut out or sever the nerve pathways. Pretty drastic.
Anyhow, good to hear from you and keep that Coreg going!!.
Beefy.

Last edited by Beefsteak; 09-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak View Post
I had shingles about 12 months ago (a massive attack - so bad the Dr went and got other Drs and a student to show them - he also got his camera out and photographed me front and back!).

This was probably because my immune system was degraded after chemo. and radio therapy.
First of all, that was quite a response! I did not know that you had been through so much! I had no idea that you had been diagnosed, and then treated for, and then survived esophageal cancer back in 2009! You are now into your fourth year of survival. Is it totally in remission?

Then, I think about your awful bout with Shingles. Just when you think that things are going OK, you are hit with a nasty case of Shingles. How long did you have it before you figured out that it was Shingles?

Quote:
Anyway on a pain scale of 1 to 10 my present "residual" pain is about 1 or so. Like you, most of the time I can forget it, but it is sore to touch and sometimes I get twinges when sitting or if I move.
Sorry to hear that you are still having some problems, but, at least, it has gotten better and is not as painful. I had a relatively mild case of Shingles, but I would never want to go thru it again!

Quote:
What I am talking about is trying to clear it up altogether. I gave up on those, although I felt acupuncture - in the right hands - might have worked.
I have been a big believer in acupuncture, since around 1972, when my wife's 24 hour severe headaches were cured permanently by acupuncture after several years of constant pain.

I've got my own KWD-808-I acupuncture machine, which I purchased a long time ago for about $100. Instead of needles, I use stick-on electro-patches that give a nice, stimulating, deep massage. If anything, the massage is worth the price!

I've tried it for many things, including my Shingles. It's supposed to work wonders on nerve and pain problems. I've had some success with it. Is it something you might consider for your Shingles? I've tried it out on things like sinus problems, and autoimmune problems, and pain problems, etc.

If you would care to read more about my experiences with acupuncture, please read my thread, posted Feb 2009, in the alternative-medicine Topic, titled:
Cured my own left neck, shoulder, back pain with Acupuncture electronic stimulation
at the link:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/668411-cured-my-own-left-neck-shoulder-back-pain-acupuncture-electronic-stimulation.html
Quote:
Anyhow, good to hear from you and keep that Coreg going!!.
Beefy.
Thanks, Beefy! I sure will keep the Coreg going! I curse Coreg every morning. It fatigues me and weakens me every morning for several hours, but it has significantly improved my health. Tis wonderful stuff!

Keep up the good fight!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 09-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Well, after researching laser treatments for a while there is nothing I can see that confirms a beneficial treatment for sub-surface pain like postherpetic neuralgia. By that I mean nothing better than massage or heat therapy. In fact that applies to most types of pain, acne and skin disorders might respond better I didn't look into that.
Acupuncture didn't work for me, after four sessions, but I felt it might have, in different hands, or after a longer treatment. Ultrasound I don't know much about. And LED and Laser infrared appear to not offer any demonstrable benefit beyond that mentioned above.
I think hot chilli or cayenne may offer benefit, either ingested or as a patch over the pain area, but eating any amount of that stuff is a challenge - at least for me. But here we are talking about temporary relief. Sure, if I cut my toe off, I would immediately forget all about any minor nerve pain I have in my chest! Cayenne is like that.
With an acupuncture machine like yours I am a bit wary. This is because I've had heart surgery and adding electrical signals and impulses around the chest region is a bit of an unknown - certainly it's one thing they warn you about with electrical acupuncture.
Well, at least I can live with the minor pain or discomfort, but I'll keep on looking.
Thanks for the input.
Beefy.

Reply Reply