It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
(male)

nike2007 HB User
rotator cuff surgery

i had rotator cuff surgery on october 15th,2007,even though my doctor explained what he did,(of course i was completely out of it)while in recovery im still not sure what he did, maybe someone can explain to me in lay men terms what the following means and how long rehab might take and what i should expect

1.arthroscopic ancromioplasty
2.arthroscopic partial resection distal clavicle
3.arthroscopic resection superior labral tissue & debridement of undersurface tearing supraspinatus
4.debridement of articular cartilage lesion anterior glenoid

id appreciate anyone who could tell me what this all means and is it normal to have pain and although rang of motion is slowly improving it is still very limited

Old 11-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
(male)

lvlagic5538 HB User
Re: rotator cuff surgery

My grandmother had rotator cuff surgery (I thought it was called rotor cuff). She had to wear that special thing that kept her arm in place for a while. The surgery was within the year. I cant exactly remember when. They gave her this pulley thing to put on a door and pull on for therapy. She continues to live a normal life, but she told me the other day (Because I just had 8 screws and a metal plate put in to fix my collarbone and occasionally i get the felling like im being jabbed by a needle.) that she occasionally gets a "jabbing/needle-poke" pain. She also gets sore still when over working herself. Im not saying this to scare you and I hope I didnt, but that is all of what I know about a rotator cuff surgery.

Last edited by lvlagic5538; 11-10-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
(male)

feelbetter88 HB User

Your acromion is the tip of the shoulder blade that forms roof of the shoulder joint. The acromioclavicular (or AC) joint is where this tip meets the collarbone. Normally, underneath your AC joint there is plenty of room. However, a bone deformation would cause the tissues in this area to become pinched between the two bones and rubbed every time the should moves which will cause pain and inflammation. What can be surgically done is a distal clavicle resection where part of the clavicle is removed to allow more space in the AC joint so that there is no longer any bone on bone rubbing. What also needs to be removed during this arthroscopic procedure is all of the tissue that has become inflamed, this is debridement. The labrum is just the tissue that surround the shoulder socket to help stabilize it. The supraspinatus is one of the 4 muscles in your rotator cuff. Articular cartilage is the smooth cartilage between bones that allow for movement and rotation. Lesions can appear in the cartilage as small divots that can hinder movement.
Hope this helps in understanding everything that you addressed. If not just post back with more questions.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
(male)

caesaroo1 HB User

Your post was very informative as I am considering rotator cuff surgery. I've done alot of research to weigh the pros and cons of having the surgery and am more confused than ever. My MRI revealed a "full tear" according to my dr., but as the weeks go by while I await my surgery consultation app't., my shoulder is very slowly improving. Today I had my first Phys Ther and the Dr. there doubted that there was a full tear since I have full range of motion (albeit, with pain). I am now questioning the MRI report of a "full tear", and don't think I should have the surgery. Also, don't these tears often heal on their own? Any input? Thank you....

Old 11-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
(female)

gamin HB User

MRI's are not all that reliable. I had an MRI that supposedly showed a full thickness RC tear, but, after I insisted on trying PT, I was able to resume playing golf several times a week after a month. 6 months later, I felt a pop in my shoulder, together with a new pain. A new MRI showed just a partial tear! I opted for surgery this time, and the surgeon said I did have complete supraspinatus tear, but the MRI didn't pick it up.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am unfortunetly in this situation too.my MRI stated also a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus as well with muscle retraction somewhere under it?the supra is actually a TENDON not a muscle,tho muscles surround the cuff,these are actually tendons that make up the rotator cuff(tendons attatch muscle to bone).i am awaiting a surgical consult with my ortho which unfortunetly cannot actually take place til jan 8.yippie.this was actually an injury that i KNOW actually started way back in around 89?never really had it evaled but just treated the initial inflammation.now it is becomming a big deal as far as pain.i think once you have actually reached the full thickness level,surgical intervention is about the only option at that point.PT can help at first and is actually recommended.many people actually have tears in the rotator cuff but becasue of the normal muscle thats there,it just is not as noticable in most people.i suffered a spinal cord injury back in 03 and slowly,all my muscle has drifted off into the sunset along with alot of actual body fat.i think that is why mine has really started to become a major issue.
just from the people i knowhohave had the same exact tear,it would appear the more muscle you have that is good and surrounding the cuff,the less noticable it actually is?this is a very strange type of injury.my bro in law just went thru this same exact tendon repair surgery about two months ago and is doing great.i am hoping for the same result.FB

Closed Thread