It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

cody48 HB User
MRI question and also Rotator Cuff MRI question

I will be having an MRI soon to probably diagnosis a tear in the Rotator Cuff. I never knew that I was claustraphobic until about 15 years ago when I had an MRI on my knee. Keep in mind that you are not even totally INSIDE the "capsule" with the knee problem. I said at the time that I would NEVER have another one........famous last words. Is there anyone out there who has claustraphobia problem and has had an MRI? What can I do to be able to get thru this? I've heard that you can be given a tranquilizer but does that really help? I've never taken one so I don't know. Can you be put to sleep?

Another question. What position are you in to have this test? On your back, side, stomach, etc.

Appreciate your help. I sound like a big baby but I HATE this test and am more stressed at having it than in what they may find.

The following user gives a hug of support to cody48:
kolbrun2606 (10-11-2011)
Old 03-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: MRI question and also Rotator Cuff MRI question

I had a rotator cuff MRI a couple months ago. I can't speak to your claustraphobia. My biggest problem was keeping from falling asleep after a while. I guess you move more when you doze off than you do awake. I will tell you I was on my back with a plastic device over my shoulder and alot of pillows positioning my shoulder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
(female)

cody48 HB User
MRI question as well as Rotator Cuff MRI question

I am posting this on a couple of different boards because I'm not certain just where it should go.

I will be having an MRI soon to probably diagnosis a tear in the Rotator Cuff. I never knew that I was claustraphobic until about 15 years ago when I had an MRI on my knee. Keep in mind that you are not even totally INSIDE the "capsule" with the knee problem. I said at the time that I would NEVER have another one........famous last words. Is there anyone out there who has claustraphobia problem and has had an MRI? What can I do to be able to get thru this? I've heard that you can be given a tranquilizer but does that really help? I've never taken one so I don't know. Can you be put to sleep?

Another question. What position are you in to have this test? On your back, side, stomach, etc.

Appreciate your help. I sound like a big baby but I HATE this test and am more stressed at having it than in what they may find.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:18 AM   #4
(female)

NJpeg HB User

I had one too and was on my back and told to be very still, but it was very hard because I was in pain from my shoulder/arm. I didn't think I was claustophopic, but after awhile really didn't like being in that machine - I wouldn't do it again. See if you could go in the open MRI machines - that's what I would do if I had to do it again. For the shoulder MRI, it was only about 20 minutes in the machine.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i unfortunetly have had to be MRIed like 16 times over just the past several years on many different areas,including my shoulder for MY rotator cuff tear. the best thing i can tell you is to take a bit of like valium(your ordering doc can rx some for you) or some other benzo just to keep you relaxed. also,i always keep my eyes shut and just pretend i am lying on a beach somewhere just lyin in the sun or something? they also have headphones so you can listen to some music. things can still get pretty loud in there tho. it is just alot of mindset,you know what i mean?

they do also have the open sided MRIs now. you would have to find out from your doc about where they are located in your area,but they are out there in much bigger numbers than even just a few years ago. it shouldn't be too hard to find one. that would probably help you alot in your situation the most. but i would still take something if i was like you are with this. i am just used to it at this point, keeping your eyes shut during it really is helpful. i have done this every single time. i think my shoulder took about 25-30 minutes? it went pretty quickly tho. just keep remembering that this is something your doc REALLY needs you to have in order to see whats up in your rotator cuff and how bad your damage is. an ortho will need this to determine what needs to be done for surgery.

i just went thru my repair surgery last month and am in the process now of just starting the 'hands on PT" part of things. also,there is another woman named sammy here who also went thru this same surgery right before mine. if you have any questions we will be hanging around.

but try and locate an open sided MRI,i really think that alone would help alot for you. you do lie flat on your back and they place just a brace type thing over your shoulder area just so you do not move at all during the MRI. a bit of valium would also probably help you with this. good luck and please let us know how things go and what they find upon the MRI. FB

Old 03-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
(female)

ptchamp HB User
Re: MRI question as well as Rotator Cuff MRI question

cody48, Yes, you will be totally inside the MRI machine for your shoulder - probably much more so than the one for you knee, though I've never had one on my knee. You will lie flat on your back and go in head first. I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but if I were I can see that it would have been very distressing. Your doctor can prescribe a tranquilizer for you and I would definitely take it. Another option is that there is such a thing as an "Open MRI". I haven't had one, nor seen one, so I don't know how open it really is, but it doesn't to hurt to ask about this.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
(female)

cody48 HB User

Feelbad, how is your recovery going after a month? I must admit that I was not aware how difficult this recovery period was going to be. I just felt like I wanted to have the surgery and get back to normal. Goodness, was I ever shocked to read how often people are NOT better but are WORSE!!! Does anyone out there have a good experience with this type of surgery.

I've done some reading of Sammy's experiences and they are not encouraging.

Would love to hear how you're doing.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
(female)

cody48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchamp View Post
cody48, Yes, you will be totally inside the MRI machine for your shoulder - probably much more so than the one for you knee, though I've never had one on my knee. You will lie flat on your back and go in head first. I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but if I were I can see that it would have been very distressing. Your doctor can prescribe a tranquilizer for you and I would definitely take it. Another option is that there is such a thing as an "Open MRI". I haven't had one, nor seen one, so I don't know how open it really is, but it doesn't to hurt to ask about this.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input. I have read about the Open MRI's but apparently they are not as clear as the "tube" MRI's. There is also a newer one called a "Step-In/Walk-In MRI" and it's really neat. Seems that it is even better sometimes because you normally sit during the procedure and if there is compression on the spine (for instance) it can be seen. Hope my doctor will allow me to use this one. It has a seat with wrap walls on each side of you. You are totally open in the front and can even watch TV.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the way any given person actually recovers from any surgery is very highly individual and based on MANY different things. i have had to have six surgeies and an aneurysm coiling procedure done,all since 2001,with the majority doing just fine. this one is a bit more involved only becasue the area is a joint with alot of tendon and muscle running thru it. joint surgeries are just that way. in sammys case,she was having alot more pre op problems when hers was done. and some of those issues are still there,but i really think,just in her case,she has other issues which we have chatted about. i think i am right where i should be at this point.

it is a bit more painful than my other surgeries were,except my spinal cord surgery,that will always be tops on my 'ick' list. but what happens with you and any possible surgery you may have to have depends totally upon what is actually damaged and needs repair. i had ALOT of damage and two full thickness tears,one,the worst being that supraspinatus at the very top? that particular tendon appears to be the most commonly torn or damaged just becasue its kind of at the "top' and gets the most abuse over time.

honestly,the worst for me was the first few days,then things did start to feel better. i still of course had pain from the surgery,but it gets better with time. my pain level right now is completley different than sammys is. hers is running very high right now, but i do think mine is much lower at this point. thats kind ofthe way it appears from what she has stated anyways. you DO have to remember that any surgery is just going to give you some pain,its just there. having a good surgeon who will help with that is really huge. you can ask the surgeon you see for the consult(if you need one even) about anything having to do with the surgery and about how they will manage your pain.

the key here is not to wait too long to get things fixed if there is indeed a tear that needs repair,honestly,i did wait too long and i think sammy did too. getting this fixed BEFORE all of the more in depth extensive work needs to be done is by far the best way to tackle this,really. my brother in law had this same surgery with the same tendon being involved except he waited and waited way too long,and had some very in depth repairs needed by the time he got in there. but he recovered within about a month. go figure.

alot comes down to actual damage and how good the surrounding muscles are going in too. my muscle had gone way down since i have been on a ten lb wieght restriction for like years now becasue of my spinal cord damage. i am sure your shoulder muscle is in much better condition. this was why i think my BIL did so well so quickly,he still had alot of real solid muscle there to help take the load off the tendon.

just wait and see what it states in your MRI. that will tell you what really needs to be fixed. you may not even actually have a full thickness tear or any real tears at all. you just have to wait and see what shows up.please let us know just what you find out,K?

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
tymala (02-01-2012)
Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

When I had my shoulder MRI with contrast - it had to be the closed one for better details. I had a mirror over my head that showed the whole outside of the tube which helped alot. When my son had to have a brain MRI - we got it sedated - he was totally knocked out.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
(female)

NJpeg HB User

Hi Cody - I also had surgery - arthroscopic decompression - just last month. I am 5 weeks out of surgery and still feeling the pain. I do PT 2X a week and my range of motion is still not great - I think I had better range of motion before the surgery. I only had a small tear, but he did the decompression to make more room and didn't need to repair the tear. Everybody says shoulders take long to heal - I guess it depends on the person. Good luck with your MRI.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My dad had the arthroscopic decompression and repair of some tears about 6 years ago. Initially, it took some time to heal, but he has had full use of his shoulder for years now. He even started bowling again. It was something he couldn't do at all long before the surgery.

If I can get rid of a sinus infection, I am scheduled for the same procedure next week. I don't have any known tears (at least they didn't show on the MRI), but I do have impingement symdrome. Due to a lax rotator cuff, my shoulder comes out of place a bit every time I move it. I had it diagnosed about a year ago when it started hurting and I had no injury. I tried PT first, but it didn't really help. There isn't anything I can really do about the cause of the pain, but I hope to get some relief from the constant swelling. I have been given the choice to have the surgery or to "live with it." I am concerned that if I wait, I may end up with some tears as a result of the impingement. I am hoping to head off any worse problems in the future.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi guys, thought I would chime in here, I am approx. 8 wks out of surgery.
I put this in another post but will put it here to, My surgeon made it crystal clear that every single surgery on every single person is different. My husband & I were comparing mine to his co worker who had it done with the same surgeon about two wks before mine, she was doing great compared to me. Big mistake, I caused myself alot of agony & worry comparing myself to her. yes there are sure to be somethings we will all experiance but at the same time we all will have different recoveries, still it is nice to have someone to talk to about it, like FB & I do. But as she stated we waited along time to have this done & that makes abig difference, for me it took them forever to discover it because I have disc problems in the neck & they were focused on that first. I had some major decompression done, no rotater cuff & have athritis in that shoulder to.
I am still in alot of discomfort, but I will tell you do not over do it after this surgery, even though you may feel good & do not put this surgery off if it is recommended. I could barely get any pain relief before this surgey. could not lift my arm, & had secondary pain in my ribs & chest.
I do have some better movement & have been told time & time again that there is along recovery period for this surgery, but still keeping in mind everyone is different. FB & I are on the same track, having surgery about a week apart, had the exercise chair in our homes around the same time & will be starting PT around the same time. We both are struggling abit with recovery but have other factors involved. Good luck & for of you having this done keep in touch if you can, curious to see how you do. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 03-27-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

wow, you have the same problem that I have too. I didn't know that I'm claustraphobic until I got into that MRI machine. I have a dislocated shoulder and a torn cartilage in the knee, yet I'm scared to do that MRI then a surgery. They had a problem with the MRI machine so I didn't complete the test. Anyway, I think that you should ask your doctor for anti-anxiety or a tranquilizer. Since you have never taken those before you will do fine. You will just feel that nothing is wrong and you might even take a nap while being in the machine.
Good luck and please let me know what did you do.
P.S: I haven't had the MRIs I need so far because I don't have health insurance. if I have I would take it with anti-anxiety medication before the scan by 1 hour or so.
Michael

Old 04-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
(female)

cody48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
wow, you have the same problem that I have too. I didn't know that I'm claustraphobic until I got into that MRI machine. I have a dislocated shoulder and a torn cartilage in the knee, yet I'm scared to do that MRI then a surgery. They had a problem with the MRI machine so I didn't complete the test. Anyway, I think that you should ask your doctor for anti-anxiety or a tranquilizer. Since you have never taken those before you will do fine. You will just feel that nothing is wrong and you might even take a nap while being in the machine.
Good luck and please let me know what did you do.
P.S: I haven't had the MRIs I need so far because I don't have health insurance. if I have I would take it with anti-anxiety medication before the scan by 1 hour or so.
Michael
Will let you know. I have an appointment with my Doctor on 4/15.......TAX DAY. I've put it off as long as I can. I know that he'll probably do an X-ray first and then schedule an MRI........UGHHHHH!!!!! Will certainly request that he give me a prescription for something to REALLY relax me. I would love to think that the walk-in MRI would work but with my luck, probably not. If the open or walk-in MRI isn't as good, I wonder why they exist????

Closed Thread