It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

willholl HB User
Rotatory Chair Test

I don't know if anyone else here is a Simpsons fan, but if you are, remember the words of Comic Book Guy--Worst. Episode. Ever.? That's how I feel about this test. Worst. Test. Ever. (And I've had two calorics done!) It's a half hour, in pitch black goggles with your eyes open, being spun around at varying speeds, in different directions. I didn't get sick but I think it was sheer force of will that kept me from it. I desperately hope this helps with my diagnosis, and treatment!

Why is it that the tests that help with diagnosis of this stuff all feel so awful?

Thanks for letting me vent.
willholl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
(female)

jadeearth HB User
Re: Rotatory Chair Test

Unfortunately making you feel wacky is the point with these tests. hope the rebound subsides soon and you feel better and get some answers :0)
Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

That sounds horrible, Willholl! I have been wanting to have that test, but maybe I'll rethink that now . I'm sure it will help with the diagnosis--way to go making it through!! Let us know what they make of it.

Hope you're feeling back to "normal" post-test!

Violet

Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User

I have had the rotary chair test.

It's a good news bad news deal (depending on your condition)

The test did not bother me in the least...which is bad...this meant that both my inner ears were more or less toasted. No cure, no magic drug to try and make it better.

The good news is I walked out of the clinic with no after effects.

I wish it would have made me sick.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
(female)

willholl HB User

Manybikes,

Thank you for giving me a reason to feel positive that I feel ill! I didn't know that not feeling ill was a bad thing. I did manage to walk out of the clinic and get back to work via walking and the bus, but it wasn't easy, and I'm nervous about moving around now.

willholl

Old 09-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

wow...you made it through though...that's good they really are contraptions of torture, in my experience anyway. did that and the hot/water caloric tests back to back. bad idea. i had to lay there for 30 minutes after it was done and couldn't even drive home. was sick to my stomach the rest of the night...and felt horrible for like a week after. so i don't know if that's a bad thing or good thing. i hope for you it solves some answers. didn't really do much to help me, but make me feel worse lol.
haha... at the comic book guy hahah!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User

Thats what these tests are designed to detect.

If the hot/cold water give you vertigo/dizziness and make you sick that is a good sign. That is a normal reaction if your inner ears are functioning.
Same goes for the rotary chair.
However...if one side is weaker than the other this in itself can cause vertigo. The brain does not like to receive different signals from each inner ear.
The tests do measure if both inner ears are functioning within normal tolerances.
Really helps narrow down what your problem might be

Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
(female)

wannarun HB User

I feel your pain. I had the rotary test, caloric test and postural test done all in one chunk-a span of 3 hours doing nothing but making me dizzy. It was a day I will never forget, and certainly don't want to relive!!

Good luck on your recovery!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
(female)

willholl HB User

Wow--I can't imagine having more than one of these tests in a week! You truly have my respect.

I'm still feeling dizzy but I'm not sure whether to blame the test or last weekend--the rain essentially left me very uncomfortable all weekend with headache and dizziness. I wasn't this dizzy this long after the caloric test...

I still haven't heard from the doctor's office about the results, either. I have to admit I'm getting a bit restless. If there's an answer out there for me, whatever it is, I want to know it.

willholl

Closed Thread