It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

andorra3 HB User
rotator cuff and decompression-what can I expect?

Having above surgery April 30. I live alone. Will I be able to dress myself--any hints as to how to do bra? How long before I am allowed to drive. It is a full tear of the rotator cuff with some atropy?

thanks for any help.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
(female)

anon2239 HB User
Re: rotator cuff and decompression-what can I expect?

I do understand what you are going through. I hurt my arm in early March. Had an Xray, and went for MRI but could not lay there 50 minutes with my right arm at my side. Have not done anything further. Am still thinking!!! My arm seems to be getting a little better. I also live alone and have learned other ways to get dressed. Not the easist thing I have even done. One thing I would like to know, can you raise your arm above your head? I can, but my brother-in-law who had the surgery several years ago could not.

Good luck
Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

DolphinLuver HB User

Hello Anon2239, how did your surgery go? I just had surgery Nov 13, 2009. I also live alone and I'm wearing long skirts,shorts, and button down tops, which I find it's the only clothes I can wear and also be comfortable.
I hope that you're feeling better since the surgery? How did the recovery go for you? I look forward to hearing from you soon. Have A Great Day!

DolphinLuver

Old 11-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
(male)

ouchthathurt HB User

I had 3 full opening rotator cuff surgeries. Rotator cuff repairs are prone to retear if the original tear was large or massive. To make a long story short, I ended up with a revision rotator cuff surgery with latissimus dorsi transfer and suprascapular nerve neuropathy. I have lost ALL external rotation and live in constant pain. Be careful!!! and Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

DolphinLuver,

You didn't say what you had done during your surgery. The type of injury and surgery makes a difference in what to expect when healing.

I had a Subacromial Decompression 13 months ago. Healing from that is "easier" than from surgery involving repair of a tear.

After several months, I'd gained most of my ROM back. I was then mostly pain free for about 6 months. I have pain back now, but my ROM is still OK. I have genetic laxity in my shoulder joint though so I knew the surgery wasn't a permenant fix.

I live alone also and had many of the same challenges. I wore comfort clothes the first few weeks. After that, I did ok with things that didn't need to be tucked. Front hook racer back bras worked well for me too. I told my PT that my goal was to be able to fasten a bra in the back. I hadn't been able to do that in a year prior to surgery. Such a little thing makes a big difference. It took a while, but I eventually met my goal.

Hope you heal well.

MountainReader

Old 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
(male)

ouchthathurt HB User

I had the subacromial decompression with full opening rotator cuff repair with a latissimus transfer for salvage of the rotator cuff. The nerve decompression did not work because the nerve had been damaged. My shoulder are looked like something from a horror movie. I had 50 staples to close the three incisions. It was a lot of surgery for one day. It will hurt and haunt me for the rest of my life. I wish you a pain free New Year!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
(female)

goldsgirl HB User

my boyfriend just had shoulder surgery1 week ago, take it from me you need to have someone there with you at least for the next 3-4 weeks and forget about putting on a bra.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
(female)

redjb7 HB User

I had surger done three weeks ago - beforehand I bought some bras that attach at the front - no problem with them - even at the beginning.

Closed Thread