It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
(female)

Karatemom40 HB UserKaratemom40 HB User
Shoulder scoped, how bad is it?

I'm having my shoulder scoped in a few weeks and everyone keeps telling me that shoulder surgery is one of the worst surgeries to have in terms of recovery and pain level. I cannot imagine this to be so, but what do I know? I am unsure right now whether it is torn or just a bad impingement, but either way it has to be scoped. I've already had PT for months and 3 cortisone shots. I realize there will be a difference in recovery length and whatnot depending on whether my OS has to repair a tear rather than just do a debridement. But, is the pain really that awful? This is my dominant arm too, and I have 4 children ranging from ages 2-7. Hubby will help when he's home of course, but I'm a bit nervous about the recovery if it ends up being a tear thus longer in the sling and immobile. I'm no stranger to surgery and have never had trouble recouping from one. I think I have a pretty normal tolerance for pain. Any insight would be great. Any advice or tips, tricks... anything is appreciated!

The following user gives a hug of support to Karatemom40:
MountainReader (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Shoulder scoped, how bad is it?

I had shoulder decompression surgery 2 years ago for a really bad impingement. It was my first ever surgery. It isn't as invasive as a repair. My surgery involved shaving down bone and debrieding. Honestly, I'd been in so much pain for so long and lost so much ROM that it didn't take long after surgery for the pain to be more of a relief because it was less than what I went into the surgery with. I knew it was a healing pain as well. With this type of surgery I was only in a sling for a couple days and started PT soon after. I was able to get my ROM back in a couple months. I'd say if you have a normal pain tolerance decompression surgery would be just fine for you. I hope that is all you need done.

BTW, I had the surgery on my dominant arm as well.

Last edited by MountainReader; 10-25-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread