It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
(male)

rjc27nj HB User
Thumbs down Grinding shoulder after surgery

Hello all, I am going to try and make this as short as possible..

I considered myself in great shape and extremely active at one time - I was in the Army for five years. Immediately after my discharge, a friendly NJ driver decided to try and kill me while I was on my motorcycle. Surgery involved labrum repair, collar bone and shoulder shaven down (debridement was the term I believe). I am now 27 years old.

I did the physical therapy and followed the exercise/stretching program like it was my job. After six months I was cleared for the gym. I do not remember having the grinding and all when I first started, but I was using Hammer strength machines. It is almost one year now (just a few days shy), and while working with dumbells doing the bench press I feel grinding in my shoulder. Is this normal? I don't lift crazy heavy, I am careful with my form, etc. I do light stretching of the shoulder before I worked out and after also.

How long does it take for full recovery, if ever? Is this grinding normal or damaging something? It is depressing thinking that my arm is basically screwed for life and I will never be able to do anything I had planned on. I have searched extensively for answers, but most of the sites mention people feeling great about four months out, which is definitely not the case. Is this something I should lift/work through and just accept as part of my life? Or try and come to terms with the fact nothing will be the same for me. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
(male)

Charles Borden HB User
Re: Grinding shoulder after surgery

bad news i'm afraid. arthritis is my bet. BUT, wait a second there my friend. DOOMED? Life is over? Can't use your arm anymore? (Violins start playing in the background.) Just wait 10 years! Don't be an idiot. Keep exercising. Try swimming. Go easier on the weights. Maybe doc can smooth the damaged surfaces, too.

Whatever else you do, make sure you don't become grateful that that crazy N.J. driver didn't spill your guts all over the garden state. Come on, man, you were in the military! Make you shoulder and the rest of your body stronger and more flexible than ever, a little bit at a time. U can do it

Closed Thread