It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

Bonsty HB User
Red face GP didn't even give referral

So I have been having problems with my shoulder ever since I started working at Woolworths 8 years ago (I stopped working there but it has only gotten worse since) as a service cashier and I have been in one car crash which didn't seem to affect my existing problem.

I have tried physiotherapy-they only gave me exercises to do, hardly any physical help at all. I have tried a chiropractor-way too expensive for short lived results, I even get the feeling they made it worse. I have been to see my GP recently and all they can say is... nothing, no referral or anything.

So my shoulder sort of clicks when I move it and has sharp pains occasionally, even when I am sitting or standing still. My muscle feels sort of soft and more loose away from my shoulder than the other one. It's as if the pain is spreading because recently my neck has been hurting aswell and I have some strange jaw clicking problems, on top of these I get migraine about once a month too, haha.

My question is what type of therapy should I try next? Yoga? More physical therapy? Get an MRI?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User
Re: GP didn't even give referral

Is there any way you can get to an Orthopedic doc? I think that would be your best bet to start, see if you need an MRI.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
Bonsty (01-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

Bonsty HB User
Wink Re: GP didn't even give referral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Is there any way you can get to an Orthopedic doc? I think that would be your best bet to start, see if you need an MRI.
Thanks, I will try one out. There is a good university near me that offers their services. It seems like they mostly do surgery though, which sounds a bit daunting. I tried looking up the things they treat and none of them seem to be what I have: bursitis, tendonitis, calcium deposition, advanced arthritis, rotator cuff tears and frozen shoulder.

I will post again and see what the results are .

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It is possible you have arthritis. And it's true some surgeons are a bit single-minded: "You're not a surgical case, don't let the door slam on your way out!" BUT:

1) You don't know what the problem is, so you don't know whether or not surgery is warranted.

2) The good orthopedic surgeons take their time, consider all options, and try conservative treatments first.

3) If nothing else, you can get scans and, more importantly, have the scans read by someone who knows what he's doing.

A few additional thoughts: There are a lot of chiropractors who are quacks and do more harm than good. Some are great, but many are not.

The pain spreading out from the shoulder kinda resonated with me. I get muscle knots that tie into one another. A knot in my shoulder can trigger pain in my neck, head, jaw or finger. My jaw pain comes from cheek muscle spasms which connect to neck spasms.

You say the muscle is softer. My first guess at why would be deconditioning--if the shoulder has been hurting that long, you probably don't use the arm as much. Which is what any sensible person would do, avoid activities that are very painful.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Bonsty (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
(female)

Bonsty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
It is possible you have arthritis. And it's true some surgeons are a bit single-minded: "You're not a surgical case, don't let the door slam on your way out!" BUT:

1) You don't know what the problem is, so you don't know whether or not surgery is warranted.

2) The good orthopedic surgeons take their time, consider all options, and try conservative treatments first.

3) If nothing else, you can get scans and, more importantly, have the scans read by someone who knows what he's doing.

A few additional thoughts: There are a lot of chiropractors who are quacks and do more harm than good. Some are great, but many are not.

The pain spreading out from the shoulder kinda resonated with me. I get muscle knots that tie into one another. A knot in my shoulder can trigger pain in my neck, head, jaw or finger. My jaw pain comes from cheek muscle spasms which connect to neck spasms.

You say the muscle is softer. My first guess at why would be deconditioning--if the shoulder has been hurting that long, you probably don't use the arm as much. Which is what any sensible person would do, avoid activities that are very painful.
It's weird I went to the chiropractor for about a year and it seemed to help slightly, I only went back because my migraines happened less frequently. (He was also a cranial doctor).

I will try the orthopedic doctor and hopefully they won't say I need surgery. The pain usually leaves me alone, though when I do things like raise my arm up or use the mouse on the computer for long periods of time it gets a bit painful, then I will get the sharp pain sometimes when I am not moving it. It's just the weird clicking in both my neck and shoulder and jaw that irritates me the most.

My mother did have arthritis, so that may be a cause, though I am not so sure it's in a joint. I have seen a naturopathy doctor and they believed it was two ligaments rubbing against each other (lol, he said it would go away, what would he know). It seems to be in the trapezium area, or underneath that muscle? I was wondering would it be best to get the MRI and possibly an X-ray before I see the orthopedic doctor?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Try looking up shoulder impingement symdrome.

When I didn't have luck with PT, I sought out an Ortho. He used an MRI, my history and an exam to make my diagnosis.

You might also try researching TMJ symptoms as well. I sometimes have shoulder problems that are caused by my TMJ. There is a good list of TMJ symptoms at the top of the TMJ board on a sticky.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Bonsty (01-29-2011)
Closed Thread