It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
(female)

Irish59 HB UserIrish59 HB User
Re: Elbow pain/weakness with rotator cuff tear

My original RC repair was Feb 2012, I just found out I have It is torn again (twice in 8mos) and I need to have it grafted and my OS has referred me to someone who specializes in shoulder stability. I saw him yesterday and he said if I don't have this grafting done it will get worse and lead to complete shoulder disability. Has anyone had grafting done?
Since November 2008 I have had 4 major surgeries, both hips replaced due to avascular necrosis, spinal fusion, and rotator cuff repair, so this would be my 5th surgery in 3 yrs to say I'm frustrated is an understatement!!!!

Any feedback will be appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Irish59:
kolbrun2606 (10-12-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
(male)

kolbrun2606 HB Userkolbrun2606 HB User

I had a surgery on a big supraspinatus tear on my right arm I am righthanded after a lousy impingement that seems to have pressed on my supra for many years. Now 3 years and 8 months after the surgery I do have a tennis elbow and a bad shoulder that needs icing every evening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
(female)

deighac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJen View Post
Wondering if anyone has experienced pain and weakness in the elbow following a positive (MRI) diagnosis of rotator cuff tear. Here's my story:

Pain in upper right arm started last September. Began PT exercises in late November (initially misdiagnosed with tendinitis, which didn't resolve). MRI in December shows rotator cuff tear (or tears) in the supraspinatus tendon.

Shoulder and upper-arm pain progressively worsened during several weeks of PT, so last week stopped going (on the advice of the physical therapist) until my next appt. with sports ortho doc in late February. While going to PT, the pain spread from the initial point, to other areas of my shoulder and down toward the elbow. The pain was relieved only after 2-3 (or more) days off from the exercises.

Last week, started doing new exercises from the book Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff. The exercises are very gentle and take only several minutes to complete the entire (intermediate) routine. My shoulder does not complain much from these as it did from the previous routine.

I first noticed the pain in my elbow about 4 weeks ago. Since then, it has slowly worsened --- and today, it's the primary pain in my arm! The pain seems to be mostly in the outside (lateral) aspect of the elbow, in the area of the "funny bone", like I bumped my elbow VERY HARD --- except I didn't! Even the simplest of arm movements, like lifting a cup of coffee, are now very painful even at close range.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does RC tear pain eventually migrate to the elbow?
Similiar story...pain in shoulder area, when to medical ortho doc told is was tendonitis, started PT, got worse...ruptured by bicep tendon (which i now know is common with rotator cuff tears) and finally got the MRI I wanted in the first place. It revealved the full-thickness tear of rotator cuff and bicep rupture confirmation. I did have elbow pain, the doc referred to it as "referred pain". I have now had an open rotator cuff repair and am experiencing new below (lateral) pain...not sure why. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
(male)

kolbrun2606 HB Userkolbrun2606 HB User

Hi there! After I tore my supraspinatus pain slowly got worse, to begin with when working I´d not notice it, actually I´d no idea what this new "sensation" was about. However nights would keep me awake with a "nasty" pain. After 2 months I experienced worsening pain that extended to "tingling" fingers of the arm in case, a heavy pain on the frontside of my shoulder and my right cheekbone gave a nasty sensation. After the surgery that, I say "saved my life", my PT explained it was the vascular sack producing far too much fluid because of the damage in my rotator cuff. Pressure of this fluid and a swollen periosteum were the cause of these pains. When insight in the cause of this injury grew, anatomy, muscle deterioration, bloodflow and genetical factors together created a situation that makes tearing more and more easier with increasing age. Persons likely to get mixed up in this should do preventive and right fitness training to strengthen and make themselves less vulnerable to these injuries. Later on in training I got a severe tennis elbow on the arm in case which got better when my PT allowed me to use his short wave appliance that´s used to diminish swellings. Also he advised me to use ICEPACKS both on elbow and shoulder every night to prevent swellings, less pain and to stimulate bloodflow.

Last edited by kolbrun2606; 08-13-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: I forgot part that I wanted to write

Closed Thread