It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

sthomas1 HB User
Multiple Shoulder Dislocations

Hi!

I'm new here and hoping to gain insight from other's experiences.

I dislocated my shoulder in 2004. I was told the dislocation was rare in that it dislocated in towards my body (instead of towards the front). It was difficult to breathe and made me want to pass out if the arm was brought down below shoulder height (while still dislocated). I was taken to the ER and put to sleep to have it replaced.

Fast forward a year or so. My shoulder kept coming out while doing normal daily activities like blow drying my hair. I also experienced nagging pain.

I had arthroscopic surgery in 2006 to repair tears in my shoulder in hopes of firming up the area and preventing future dislocations. I went to physical therapy and saw improvements in the strength of my shoulder and my ability to move it easily.

I didn't have any real problems until a year later while being pulled on a tube by a boat at the lake. We were laying on our stomaches and hit a wake that caused my arm to pop out. It was extremely painful, much like the initial dislocation. I'm assuming it hurt worse because of the surgery. I again went to physical therapy and again saw improvements.

A week or so ago I began to have pain in my shoulder from sleeping on it wrong. I adjusted. Around the same time, I also went to the gym and did an upper body workout, which I had not done in a long while. I didn't go crazy and I actually felt good afterwards.

The next day, while stretching my arm out (parallel to the floor) my shoulder came out. I panicked and immediately tried to bring my arm down, which cause the shoulder joint to be momentarily stuck, which made me extremely nauseous. Since then, my shoulder keeps popping and little movements make me think it is going to come out again.

I am extremely discouraged, given my history, and not sure what to do. Any advice and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to sthomas1:
Lorialbrit2 (03-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

RockSteady5803 HB User
Re: Multiple Shoulder Dislocations

I am having the same problems myself. I just recently dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago, but now any movement I do it is extremely painful and it feels very unstable. I will wake up in the middle of the night in excrutiating pain because I moved a bit the wrong way and my shoulder dislocated at the slightest coercion. It pops and clicks, and it will "catch" randomly and I won't be able to move it without nearly screaming in pain to free it. From what my orthopaedist says, I may need surgery. I have had three surgeries on my knee before, so it is really no big deal for me at all, rather routine almost LOL. But he told me that it takes a while to recover and rehab from, which is not too thrilling if you ask me LOL. But if that is the only thing that will fix this, then I'll sign the dotted line.

How has your shoulder been since this post? I feel your pain (literally and otherwise!)...keep the faith, and keep charging on!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

tymala HB User

I am with you Rock Steady. I have had too many shoulder dislocations and I am ready for surgery. It has come out at least once a year for the past 14 years and every doc has just brushed me off and told me to exercise the shoulder. Finally now that I am abroad someone has given me an MRI. I think you should also get that surgery asap and not wait for another dislocation or for the damage to get worse.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
(female)

les17 HB User

Sthomas - I dislocated my shoulder the exact same way (out the back) 3 years ago and had surgery to repair a torn labrum. Fast forward to Dec '11 and I reinjured my shoulder while doing pushups. An mri only showed bruising and a lot of inflammation but the Dr knew something else was wrong by my examine. I had my 2nd surgery on January 26th and I'm still currently attending PT and going down the long road to recovery.

During my surgery the Dr found a bone spur that had to be cut out, tons of frayed tissue and one of the anchors from my first surgery to repair the labrum had been ripped out and was floating through my joints causing all kinds of unbelievable pain along with popping/grinding and 'catching' sensation. I think I may have ripped the anchor out in the summer by water skiing like you mentioned.

I suggest seeing your surgeon Again - unfortunately its possible you have something going on like I did that has caused weakness in your labrum again and resulting in the dislocations.

All of the best luck to you!

Leslie

Closed Thread