It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
rotator cuff surgery coming up

i am so scared. i tore my rotator cuff about a year ago. i am having surgery on march 21. it is my right shoulder and i am right handed. it will be done orthscopic and just want to know about recovery. can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: rotator cuff surgery coming up

thanks jen. are you ok now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
(female)

sweetie021100 HB User

Hi I had the surgery 5 weeks ago today. Right shoulder also. You will need help the first couple of weeks. I'll be honest its rough... But you do get through it.. Each week gets better.. Any Questions you may have I'll be more than happy to help you with... Sharon

Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I had my right shoulder done 5 years ago and had the end of the collarbone taken off at the same time(distal clavicle excision). Except for the problems of not being able to use my right arm, I don't think I took anything more than Tylenol for pain. When it's done arthroscopically, it is virtually painless.

Have some food ready and in the freezer so all you have to do is pop food in the microwave. I got lots of food that is "finger friendly" so I didn't have to use any utensils.Try ahead of time doing things one handed. Especially see how hard it will be to do things that are very personal ...like wipe. That way you can see if you'll benefit from stuff like wet wipe towelettes.

If you share a bed with someone, you may want to kick them out for a week or 2 as you take up lots of room with the sling on all night. Get extra pillows. Expect to have trouble sleeping until you get used to the sling(bigger problem than pain for sure).

Just let yourself imagine a one handed world and you'll see what you need to alter for the couple of weeks you can't use your arm. Mind you, I'm assuming your doc does the preferred rehab of no movement for a couple of weeks. Some still have you using your arm right away and that can weaken the tendons. I see them in PT and know they will be back with a re-tear. Whatever you do, try not to use the arm for at least the first 2 weeks.

good luck...................Jenny

Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks to all of you for your suggestions. i guess sleep will be the hardest and i will gladly let my husband sleep in another room as he is a big snorer! i think my dr wants me to start pt a week after surgery, but i will now tell him i think not. i had an ice machine delivered to me and a rom chair today. i was fit with a sling for both. did anyone have any of this? my dr ordered it. feeling down today and still very scared. i know its one day at a time. also glad to hear not a lot of pain.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User

just had my 3rdleft rotator cuff surgery dec 6th 2010. This is the 3rd in 5 years. I am now suffering from frozen shoulder and will have to have the doc break it loose. I am also still sleeping by myself on a recliner so my gf doesnt role over on it or i turn the wrong way. This is by far the worst surgery ever and the more times i seem to have surgery on it the more complications. My suggestions would be find a nice comfy chair and make sure you have a doc who knows what he is doing. Usually about 3 weeks after surgery or so u will start pt and it will be a pain at first, but keep with it so u don't get frozen shoulder like me. Good luck

Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

why did you have to have so many surgeries? is it better to sleep in a recliner or propped up with pillows in bed? i am so sorry you are going thru this

Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi sharon, how are you sleeping? on the bed, recliner? what to wear? help

Old 03-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
(male)

As for why so many surgeries, I was told by this orthopedic doc that the other ones did not due it proper, which is why I did research on this surgeon and asked lots of questions, and is also why i'm hoping you will ask ur doc questions and feel good about him or here. For me sleeping on a recliner helped me due to the arms of the recliner supporting you where as a bed does not. I also had an extra pillow for my arm while sleeping on the recliner in case i needed it for comfort. The first few days to first weeks are always worse for sleeping and then it gets tough sleeping again after therapy for different people. It all depends on you and the extent of the surgery. I go back to see my surgeon for a follow up this Thursday to see if hes gonna decide to ask my workers comp to break it loose or more therapy. Either way I just want my arm back and to be able to sleep since its been 3 months and I worse then before surgery. I have a lot of things to talk to him about that werent happening before surgery that worries me

Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
(female)

sweetie021100 HB User

Hi Debbie, at first I tried to sleep in a bed with lots of pillows, that did not work.. I was most comfortable in my chair with ottoman... I was up 4 and 5 times a night maybe more for the 1st couple of weeks.. About the third week I felt comfortable on the couch... Then about week five I was back to bed.. I'm finally sleeping ok not the best but so much better than before.. I just looked back you had your surgery yesterday Hope you are well,, Please let me know how your doing.. Just remember it does get better everyday that passes... Sharon

Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

its been a week today. i have been sleeping in bed on a book reading cushion. i have a pillow on top of that, a pillow under my knees and a pillow for my arm to rest on. i cant sleep thru the night as the pain is horrible. i started my rom machine on friday. today i go to pt, but said to the dr i will stop if i feel its to agressive. i am going to drive. how long does it take to drive my dr said i could if i didnt take any pain pills. he doesnt want me to get frozen shoulder.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
(male)

Glad you made it through the surgery ok. Sleeping through the night will take a while. As for frozen shoulder trust me you do not want it. It is what I have now and its no fun having no power in my whole arm and not being able to move my shoulder. Still having trouble sleeping with frozen shoulder as I am a toss and turn sleeper which I can't do. Take it easy and don't over push yourself. Take it day by day and know your own limitations. Good luck.

Closed Thread