It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
(male)

bigdave42 HB User
second MRI for tear after a year of healing. now what. see my results

last year I fell on my construction sight and injured my left shoulder.I am bricklayer which is a physical job with your shoulders. After talking to a doctor i had an MRI and these were the results were 1 cm linear low grade tear of the supraspinatus tendon and 1 cm interstitial low grade tear at the distal infraspinatus tendon. I under went PT because i had couldn't do any of the stretching movements and had very lil success doing there exercises. and saw three different surgeons. One of the surgeons wanted to just cut me open the other wanted to do an exploratory surgery while the last one the surgeon for the Cleveland Indians baseball team said with time maybe even a year he believes i would heal and just be fine. If not come see him.

well its been a year and a long one. ive had several hard times just dealing with workmans comp and my company. I was off for the first two months then i went back to work on light duty. Let me just say there isnt any light duty in my trade. I have been doing better i have my flexibility back and my strength has improved a bunch. I now can do three sets of 15 pd military press along with side raises and curls with minimal pain. i also can do 4 sets of 20 regular pushups. the downfall is that i still am week and sore after these exercises. The pain just doesnt ever seem to go away. I feel as if im getting stronger and stronger and healing but its been a year.
I just had another MRI with a more powerful magnet. The results were as followspartial insertional tear of the supraspinatus tendon which may extend to hte articular surface with a small cyst seen in the lesser tuberosity at the insertion of the supraspinatus tendon. OMG! i didnt know what to say. i see the surgeon in 3 weeks. He told me before that he could never take a knife to me because he couldnt help me if anything do more harm. I just dont understand that after a year this tendon isnt healed. how could this be? What should i looking at to fix this ? is there any other fixes besides surgury? be me getting stronger does that mean im healing but at a slow rate? and help would be greatly appriciated.

thanks
dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Re: second MRI for tear after a year of healing. now what. see my results

Everyone heals at different rates, but I think after a year it would be as healed as its gonna get if you have done PT and worked it on your own. I just had my roataor cuff surgery in december and also on the supraspinatus tendon. I am now suffering from frozen shoulder due to workers comp denying PT after surgery. My opinion would be find at least two surgeons that are on the same page and then do research on what they tell you, before you make a full decision. Most people heal within 4-6 months after surgery, but like I said in my case its gonna be longer due to workers comp. I am not saying surgery is the way to go either. It all depends on each individual and how bad your symptoms are. I don't want to ramble on, so my advice is talk to the doctors, do research, and go with what your gut says. If I can help anymore please let me know.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
(male)

bigdave42 HB User
Red face Re: second MRI for tear after a year of healing. now what. see my results

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegaderob18 View Post
Everyone heals at different rates, but I think after a year it would be as healed as its gonna get if you have done PT and worked it on your own. I just had my roataor cuff surgery in december and also on the supraspinatus tendon. I am now suffering from frozen shoulder due to workers comp denying PT after surgery. My opinion would be find at least two surgeons that are on the same page and then do research on what they tell you, before you make a full decision. Most people heal within 4-6 months after surgery, but like I said in my case its gonna be longer due to workers comp. I am not saying surgery is the way to go either. It all depends on each individual and how bad your symptoms are. I don't want to ramble on, so my advice is talk to the doctors, do research, and go with what your gut says. If I can help anymore please let me know.
Just went for follow up to the surgeon that told me he would never take a scapel to me. Well now since im still in pain even know I got my strength back he asked me to get a second opinion. He could not tell me that with or without surgery what would benifit me more. I am under the 50% tear rate they use to opt for surgery. He told me even with surgery I may me still in as much pain as I am now and couldn't tell me if I would continue to tear or not. But did tell me no matter what i choose my shoulder will hinder me for the rest of my life and i need a career change. ***! Im lost. This is all i know os the trades. I did make a second opinion appt and the doc called me and told me to stay with my current surgeon. ***? I can't get a straight answer of what to do. Any suggestions? I am now going back to four weeks of physical theoropy 3 times a week to see if I can strengthen my shoulder to relieve the pain. Its been just about a year now im getting so fed up. Workmans comp sucks. So hard to get approval to do anything to heal ontop of all this frustration.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: second MRI for tear after a year of healing. now what. see my results

wow, what a story. i had rotator cuff surgery 4 weeks ago. its a real tough recovery. i had pain for 2 years before i went for an mri. i did 8 weeks of pt and still had the pain. surgery was the answer. i know someone just like you and he had arthoscopic surgery and he is doing great now.

Closed Thread