It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

whoknowsthedeal HB User
Scared & worried full thickness rotator cuff tear surgery

I am VERY scared & worried I have just been diagnosed with a full thickness rotator cuff tear & will need surgery. I hear it is a very difficult surgery & don't know how I am going to get through it. who has had this & can give me some information. HELP!!

The following user gives a hug of support to whoknowsthedeal:
Irish59 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
(male)

ouch12 HB User
Re: Scared & worried full thickness rotator cuff tear surgery

I had a major tear in my right shoulder, and went under the knife three weeks ago. The surgon was only able to attach 70% muscle, so recovery has been rough. The first few days is really painfull and getting adapted to using one arm, the second week is a major improvement and hopefully it will continue too improve. Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

whoknowsthedeal HB User

Thank you!! Luckily for me it's my left shoulder & I'm right handed. I am also worried because I live alone & getting dressed & taking care of myself & my 2 cats seems very daunting. I don't know if I will have help at this point, I've heard having help for at least the first week is a must, do you agree? I am probably looking at 5 weeks before I can schedule the surgery & it is hurting more & more each day so I hope I'm not doing more damage. Do you have any pointers I should start working on so I am used to it once I have the surgery? thanks again!!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

today is 3 weeks since the same surgery. is it being done arthoscopic

The following user gives a hug of support to debbie g:
OceanQueen (07-07-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

whoknowsthedeal HB User

I don't know yet. I have my first OS appointment this week & another one next week. I was told that because it's a full tear I have to have surgery. I may be jumping the gun now but it's been hurting for over a year & I just found out it's not in my head. The last week I did 2 exercise boot camps one before the MRI & one after & my shoulder has been very sore & now the pain is going in to my elbow. I am just really anxious to talk to the surgeon to find out what the next move is. I probably won't be able to have the surgery for 5 weeks because of things coming up at work. are you back to work yet? did you have yours done arthoscopic? Is getting dressed, etc difficult? what has your experience been so far? Thanks!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

mine was arthoscopic you need to ask your surgeon

Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

whoknowsthedeal HB User

Well obviously I'm going to do that. I just thought I'd gather some information beforehand so when I go I can ask all the questions I need to.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
(female)

Irish59 HB UserIrish59 HB User
Cool Re: Scared & worried full thickness rotator cuff tear surgery

I had Rotator Cuff Surgery on 2/14/11, I had a 5cm full thickness tear. I will be honest with you and tell you this has been the most difficult surgery to recover from. This is the forth major surgery I've had in 27mos and the most challenging due to extended recovery period and amount of pain. The first 6 wks in a sling 24/7 except when doing pendulum swings, PT is passive ROM (range of motion) with them basically stretching your shoulder, I have now progressed to assisted ROM but am still having a good amount of pain.
My PT did warn me ahead of time that Rotator cuff surgery is one of the most difficult recovery wise. I would advise following their instructions completely and taking your pain meds as scheduled so your pain doesn't get out of control. Try to schedule your surgery ASAP to prevent further injury.
My surgery ended up being quite extensive by the time I had it done.

It would be best if you had assistance at home that first week with meals and such and if you could prepare meals ahead of time and freeze that way you could just stick them in microwave to reheat.

Keep us updated. Best wishes for a skilled surgeon and speedy recovery.

Irish59

The Following User Says Thank You to Irish59 For This Useful Post:
whoknowsthedeal (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
(female)

whoknowsthedeal HB User

Thank you Irish59.... here is where I stand so far - The radiologist is the one who stated from my MRI that I had a full thickness rotator cuff tear. I had my first appt with an OS on Thursday, he disagrees completely with the radiologist & didn't see a tear at all. He thinks I have subacromial impingement syndrome/tendonitis & suggested PT. I do have an appt on Monday with another OS so I am very curious to see what he thinks. I am now VERY frustrated & confused. (I have been through this before, many years ago I hurt my wrist first doc said sprain, still hurting I went to another who saw a fracture, put me in a short arm cast for several weeks then PT for several weeks after. still hurting next doc put me in a long arm cast for several weeks the PT again. still hurt but I gave up, finally 2 years later I had it looked at again, had an MRI done & the new doc found a torn ligament that I had for 2 years). Needless to say I am very skeptical. The first OS I saw on Thursday is a friend of my family & I've known him for a long time, he is very good & I trust him. I am just shocked that two MD's can look at the same MRI & see COMPLETLEY different things!!! I am ready for Monday & possibly a 3rd opinion if needed. SO FRUSTRATED!!! thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by whoknowsthedeal; 04-09-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

dovecottage HB Userdovecottage HB User

I had rotator cuf surgery 2 years ago. I had a total tear, doc could not do it arthriscopically due to the severe damage . I have a 3 inch scar and 6 pins holding it all together. The cold machine helped the pain and was a godsend. Will you have one? do you know what it is? ask me anything, I ve been through it all. Linda

Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovecottage View Post
I had rotator cuf surgery 2 years ago. I had a total tear, doc could not do it arthriscopically due to the severe damage . I have a 3 inch scar and 6 pins holding it all together. The cold machine helped the pain and was a godsend. Will you have one? do you know what it is? ask me anything, I ve been through it all. Linda
I also had ice machine and it was a huge help. I learned with this surgery that ICE is your friend!!!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknowsthedeal View Post
Thank you Irish59.... here is where I stand so far - The radiologist is the one who stated from my MRI that I had a full thickness rotator cuff tear. I had my first appt with an OS on Thursday, he disagrees completely with the radiologist & didn't see a tear at all. He thinks I have subacromial impingement syndrome/tendonitis & suggested PT. I do have an appt on Monday with another OS so I am very curious to see what he thinks. I am now VERY frustrated & confused. (I have been through this before, many years ago I hurt my wrist first doc said sprain, still hurting I went to another who saw a fracture, put me in a short arm cast for several weeks then PT for several weeks after. still hurting next doc put me in a long arm cast for several weeks the PT again. still hurt but I gave up, finally 2 years later I had it looked at again, had an MRI done & the new doc found a torn ligament that I had for 2 years). Needless to say I am very skeptical. The first OS I saw on Thursday is a friend of my family & I've known him for a long time, he is very good & I trust him. I am just shocked that two MD's can look at the same MRI & see COMPLETLEY different things!!! I am ready for Monday & possibly a 3rd opinion if needed. SO FRUSTRATED!!! thanks again, I'll keep you posted.
@ Who Knows The Deal, Did you go for your second opinion? How'd that go?
Hope you are doiing well.

Irish59

Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

my dr did not see the tear at first. when i had the surgery, there were 4 tares and 2 bone spurs removed. this is the worst recovery ever, but i am being optomistic as i see a little improvement everyday.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
(female)

Debbie G,
My Dr found a lot of surprises that the radiologist didn't see in my MRI. I'm 9 weeks out from my RCR and the pain is just becoming managable...when was your surgery?

I can relate to it being a difficult recovery.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

my surgery was march 21. i am in so much pain. this is my 3rd week of therapy.

Closed Thread