It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

LovingLife HB User
Frozen shoulder?

Anyone have any experience with a frozen shoulder? I'll be going to the doctor's on Monday, but, from what I have found for info, it sounds exactly like what I have going on.

Out of nowhere 3 days ago, I started to get the most excruciationg pain I have ever felt. I pretty much cannot use my right arm at all. It's a bad,, deep toothache feeling right to the bone. I can't brush my hair, raise it to wash my face, and getting dressed is a nightmare and a half, never mind taking care of my personal needs.

My pain is constant from the shoulder down my arm right to the wrist, with frequent spasms. I can use my hand, though, as long as I'm careful not to move my arm.

Ibuprofen doesn't help, nor does ice or heat. Although heat seems to bring comfort, even though it doesn't help the pain.

By the way, I'm a white female, 54 yrs. old, and postmenopausal, fit right into the category to get this.

How do I get through this?

I can't sleep, except for little snatches of shut-eye on and off.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Frozen shoulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLife View Post
Anyone have any experience with a frozen shoulder? I'll be going to the doctor's on Monday, but, from what I have found for info, it sounds exactly like what I have going on.

Out of nowhere 3 days ago, I started to get the most excruciationg pain I have ever felt. I pretty much cannot use my right arm at all. It's a bad,, deep toothache feeling right to the bone. I can't brush my hair, raise it to wash my face, and getting dressed is a nightmare and a half, never mind taking care of my personal needs.

My pain is constant from the shoulder down my arm right to the wrist, with frequent spasms. I can use my hand, though, as long as I'm careful not to move my arm.

Ibuprofen doesn't help, nor does ice or heat. Although heat seems to bring comfort, even though it doesn't help the pain.

By the way, I'm a white female, 54 yrs. old, and postmenopausal, fit right into the category to get this.

How do I get through this?

I can't sleep, except for little snatches of shut-eye on and off.
Yes your age is right for the frozen shoulder but history no. You most likely have an acute diffuse subdeltoid bursitis. The pain comes on over a very short period of time and is most severe after 3 to 4 days. This condition is rare and you will be well in six weeks. If you have it once it tends to return in a few years again. Most probably you cant move you arm away from your side but you can face you palm face forward. Get you doc to get a long needle with an anaesthetic into the bursa and see how it feels the next day.
James

Last edited by james079; 05-05-2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: bas spelling noticed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
(female)

Barleysugar HB User

Hi There
Yes I've had a frozen shoulder and they are very painful especially when trying to make any movement. I'm in the UK so I can only tell of my experience. When I discovered I had a lot of pain in My right shoulder which then went down my arm on trying to move my arm to raise it either forwards sideways or behind I went to my GP. The first thing he did was send me for an Xray to make sure there was no structural damage to the joint. When the results came back I was given a cortisone injection into the shoulder joint in total I had about three over a period of months which had no effect. I was then sent to Physio where I had heat treatment and then they tried to gradually ried to move my arm painful excercise. After six months of this I was told no more they could do had to wait for it to resolve it'self on it's own which overall took about two years. Sorry tried to be brief

Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, Yes I had a Frozen Shoulder. One of the worst experiences of my life. The pain is dreadful. I could do nothing with my right arm for six months. I had an MRI to diagnose mine. Initially I had two Cortisone injections, the first one worked instantly, the second no joy!. I was given Ibuprofen, but had to leave it of because of a stomach condition. I was told I could have Manipulative-Surgery under Anesthetic as mine was so bad. I also had Physio therapy which I found made it worse and gave up on that. After a year, i began to get a slight movement. In all it took over two years to get back to normal. In saying this my GP said mine was one of the worst cases she had seen.
An Xray since has now revealed I have Arthritis in that shoulder.
P.S I did not go for the surgery because I thought it might do more harm than good , (My Decision). I feel very much for you and wish you all the best. Solofelix.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

But loveing life doesn't have a frozen shoulder.
James

Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

mitsy HB Usermitsy HB User

I had frozen shoulder and did the Manipulation under Anesthesia (MUA) and am glad that I did. Within a week, my shoulder was doing so much better and less painful.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Give us a history of your shoulder.
James

Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
(female)

mitsy HB Usermitsy HB User

I had bone spurs on my shoulder and had the surgery to remove the bone spurs. I did therapy following the surgery and had good motion and range, then rather quickly the motion and range decreased and pain increased. The pain was pretty constant and my shoulder felt constrained. My doctor said it was nothing and would go away and to continue therapy. finally my therapist says we aren't making progress and it was getting worse, so he and I talked to the dr. The dr. said we can either continue therapy or do the MUA. I said therapy is not working and I can't continue like this, so we did the MUA. Within a week, the range of motion was much better and the pain decreased also. I did therapy for another 3 weeks and was released. I am back in the gym and only have some residual pinch in the shoulder from the original surgery.
I am not familiar with frozen shoulder caused by any other symptons or just random. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread