It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

webs1962 HB User
Arthroscopic surgery pain still?

Hello I had Arthroscopic shoulder surgery on my right shoulder 2 weeks 3 days ago. My Dr informed me he found some bursitis/calcification under my bicep he scraped away.Also he said that my bicep muscle which should be attached to the bone and socket is not. Apparently the muscle is pulled away from the joint leaving this decent sized void between the shoulder joint and muscle. I am currently in physical therapy and taking pain meds at night. But my level of pain is not improving which concerns me. From what I have read and am to understand the pain should be managed with just ibuprofen. It is a sharp constant pain daily worse at night. I had no tears repaired nothing to pull back apart. So I don't understand why the pain is still so nagging! Is this normal or could I have reinjured the shoulder due to it's delicate state directly following surgery. I really want some relief I'm growing very tired of this discomfort and I can't stay on pain meds forever.

Last edited by webs1962; 05-02-2011 at 08:04 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: webs1962
Irish59 (05-06-2011), OceanQueen (07-15-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to webs1962 For This Useful Post:
OceanQueen (07-15-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Arthroscopic surgery pain still?

the shoulder is the most intricate part of the body. ibprofen is not the answer. the pain sounds normal to me, but if you really want an answer ask your dr. what does the pt say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by webs1962 View Post
Hello I had Arthroscopic shoulder surgery on my right shoulder 2 weeks 3 days ago. My Dr informed me he found some bursitis/calcification under my bicep he scraped away.Also he said that my bicep muscle which should be attached to the bone and socket is not. Apparently the muscle is pulled away from the joint leaving this decent sized void between the shoulder joint and muscle. I am currently in physical therapy and taking pain meds at night. But my level of pain is not improving which concerns me. From what I have read and am to understand the pain should be managed with just ibuprofen. It is a sharp constant pain daily worse at night. I had no tears repaired nothing to pull back apart. So I don't understand why the pain is still so nagging! Is this normal or could I have reinjured the shoulder due to it's delicate state directly following surgery. I really want some relief I'm growing very tired of this discomfort and I can't stay on pain meds forever.
Sounds like you have a long head of biceps tear. Usually it tears at the tendon muscle junction. This part of the biceps long head travels under the outer part of the collar bone and it gets impinged which it would seem to be under constant minimal wear, but after a time ruptures. Many have no pain on rupture, some a lot. Perhaps if a few strands of the tendon are hanging in that what gives the pain. It is not unusual to have a minor rotator cuff tear in conjunction with the tendon rupture so that is another consideration. The good news is you lose little strength and they do settle with time. Those that have the tendon repaired dont do any better it seems than leaving it alone.
James

Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

Irish59 HB UserIrish59 HB User

Sorry to hear your in so much pain. I have had a difficult time recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so I understand your pain, try and take your pain meds before your pain gets out of control because once it gets out of control it's very hard to get on top of it. I would definitely call the doc and tell him the severity of your pain and see what he says.

Keep Us Posted.
Irish59

Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

Daisee68 HB User

Your pain sounds normal. I have had 4 shoulder surgeries (3 on my right and 1 on my left). The most recent one on my left was just in October is not going so well, but the other 3 on my right were 10 years ago. Someone told me back then that the magic number is 45 days and trust me with the type of surgery I had (and that you have had), they were just about right on. Use ice - a lot! It was (and still is) my best pain reliever. Keep doing your PT and just be patient. It is okay to keep taking pain meds. Try to take only half of one and take it with an Advil and sometimes that makes a big difference. I found it at least took the edge off so I could concentrate on other things than pain. It takes at least 6 weeks / 45 days for your body to respond to just about any big injury. Just gotta be very patient.... Good luck!

Closed Thread