It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
(male)

mremasta HB User
I Dont Know What To Do

So here is what is going on.

After many months of weight training, six nights a week regularly changing muscle groups, I was doing an ordinary shoulder night. During a set of lifting straight overhead in the seated position dropping my elbows no lower than my shoulder, my shoulder popped and my right arm dropped numb.

Over the next year seeing a handful of different doctor the symptoms are the same and are as follows:
Lifting my right above my hy head causes a grinding feeling in the joint where my collarbone connects to my shoulder with a pinching sensation.
I am unable to turn my head to the right all the way (as if Im turning my head so I can see out the rear window of a car while driving in reverse)
Lifting anything of about 20lbs. causes a stretching feeling like my arm is being pulled off my neck on my right side.
Using my right arm to reach to my left side, when my hand gets to about the middle of my body my ribs feel "locked" and I have a very sharp, intense pain on the right side of my sternum with dificulty breathing untill I pull my arms far back and pop my chest.
Laying on either side of my body has the same feeling as if I am reaching across my body.
24 hours a day there is a dull ache in my entire shoulder that gets worse when weather changes.
My collar bone is lifted up and away from my body and is visible through my skin at the sternoclavicular joint. In this area there is often intence tearing/pinching feelings that come and go randomly all day. It is worse when its is humid.

So after a year of this I still have no improvement in my shoulder and I need help. All of the doctors I have seen told me something different. THe sports medicine doctor told me it was a sternoclavicular strain. The physical therapist told me I have ligament damage due to over use of the muscles in the area. The chiropractor said I damaged my rotator cuff.
All of them told me to rest and it will heal, but after no improvement for over a yeat I am tired of relaxing and I feel there Must be something I can do.

If anyone has had similar injuries or knows something I can do other than just rest please let me know. I have yet to recieve an MRI but have had one x-ray of my right lung it looked like...nothing came of that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: I Dont Know What To Do

You have a sternoclavicular joint injury. This joint depends on the capsule of the joint and small ligaments above the joint to keep it in place. As you can amagine it is a relatively unstable joint. Inside the joint is a small disc. Considering the forces put through these joints they very rarely become damages. Usually it is a blow to the clavicle but not in your case. In mostly all cases there is swelling and thickness around the joint. This means that it is difficult to know if the joint is subluxed or swollen without examing it it. But if you have signs and symptoms in your acomioclavicualr joint i.e. at the tip os your shoulder your S/T joint is probably subluxed. As you did not have serious signs at the time of injury you probably subluxed anteriorly. Ask your doc, if it has not been done before is a "cephalic tilt view of the sternoclavicular joint". This view will most likely show the bone relationships. This is quite a serious injury as it is part of the shoulder girdle. I dont know how surgery does, it is a small joint , rarely injured but important. Keep us in touch, this type of case is very interesting
James

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
kolbrun2606 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
(male)

mremasta HB User
Re: I Dont Know What To Do

Sorry I took so long to reply to this. First off let me say thank you for posting. I was finally able to see a doctor and get an MRI, well three MRI's. As it turns out you were right and I do have a sternoclavicular strain. They took MRIs to look for a torn rotatorcuff, hernia, and then of my chest. My shoulder had no problems at all, very normal said the doctor. There was a minor hernia between c-3 and c-4, but he said that was unrelated to my chest pain and very minor so probably not causing all of my shoulder pain I am having. The MRI of my chest was very white at the connection of the first rib to my sternum and my collarbone to my sternum. Doc told me to take pain killers as needed and to let it heal at its own pace. There was no mention of surgery or even physical therapy, I was told rest and wait it out..
Thank you again for your post

Closed Thread

Tags
collar bone, ribs, rotator cuff, shoulder, sternum