It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

c1a1r3119 HB User
Question Lump under shoulder blade on right side only accompanied by burning pain

Hello
I have been getting quite severe pain under my shoulder blade which radiates up my neck and in severe cases i also get a headache. This normally happens more if i carry a rucksack or if i have been in cold temperatures. I decided to go to a osteo clinic (paying private not on nhs) who does sports massage and a variety of treatments. I do a lot of gym workouts so i thought sports massage may relieve it. The osteo nurse checked my posture and noticed my right shoulder blade was more pronounced than the left. My shoulder also pops out as i lift my arms above my head. She informed me that all the muscles around my shoulder were tight and did a short session of quite painful massage. I knew i had a lump under my shoulder blade as in the past i have asked my mum to massage my shoulder and she felt it and could move it under her fingers. I asked what the lump could be as i thought it could be a knot as that is mainly where the pain radiates from. The osteo nurse said it didnt feel muscular and that i should get it checked.
Im just wondering whether anyone else has had this problem and whether they could shed light on what it could be. I have a doctors appointment booked, but dont really want to go as i have been down there so often lately im worried they will think im looking for something to be wrong.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Lump under shoulder blade on right side only accompanied by burning pain

What you describe is a winged scapula. This is when your shoulder blade, especially the inside margin next to the spine pokes out from the chest wall. Stand a couple of feet from the wall and put your hands on the wall, now let your body slowly go forward with your arms stiff. Have your mother look at your shoulder blades and see the difference. If it is very minor it can be a nerve, C6 from the neck, but this is unusual. If it is this you will be able most likely to raise your arm straight up in the air as far or almost as far as the other. If it wings a lot and you have dificulty raising it near full it most likely is a palsy of the long thoracic nerve, it coming from some of the thoracic spine. It can be be a neuritis, perhaps caused by a virus. Another reason is carrying a too heavy back pack or slinging it over only one shoulder. Third reason is adolescents and young people who do gymnastics or heavy work and tweak the nerve. Usually it gives pain in the shoulder blade and to the neck. The pain settles after weeks or a month. It is unfortunate that in many cases it takes many months or even a year for the nerve to grow down, not usually painfull but certainly inconvenient. Treatments don't seem to help. No gym work for a while if it is a long thoracic nerve palsy. Your doctor may not fully understand what a palsy like this means, it is not very common, but who wants something that is common!!.
James

Last edited by james079; 06-11-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

den58 HB User
Re: Lump under shoulder blade on right side only accompanied by burning pain

Did you find out what this was? I am experiencing the same type of thing and thought you might be able to help me figure this out.

Closed Thread