It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
(male)

hawjboiz HB User
Exclamation VollyBall injury Non-Popular topic

General information:

I am glad I found this site. Let me explain some things.

Volleyball is a fun sport and can be very very competitive in my community. I am Asian (Hmong), 25, and slightly obeast now. In our culture the main sport is soccer and since migrating to the states the main sports for youth is Volleyball. Most Hmong people do not have health insurance like me.

I am making this post noticed because i believe it can help many people. Volleyball can have many injuries such as muscle strains, sprain ankle ( or twist), and shoulder injury's.

My problem I have is a should injury. This has been going on for at lease 1 and 1/2 years now. Reason I have it is because spiking the ball can have many impacts though out the arm and shoulder. I have no insurance and currently a student with no job. I am trying to find what might be my problem so I can find out what I can and can not do. I still play the sport but focusing on not using my shoulders as much.

So I believed it is a rotator cuff problem but at the same time I don't think so. Reason why is because spiking some times hurt but there are times when there is no pain at all. When relaxed there is pain when lifting my arm up and a sharp pain when my arm is lifted and in certain spots.

I think there could just be extra scar tissue making it hurt. But i could be very wrong, or just torn muscle. What can or might this be.

What: shoulder is functional but has pain during rest and sometimes at use. Sometimes alot of pain.

Where: pain some times burns, but it is on the side of my shoulder under the top bone of the shoulder deep inside. Also directly above the arm pit has pain also.

Tried: i've used ice before help for a bit. Now i am trying to stretch it out very little.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. It is very hard to find a topic about volleyball shoulder injury's.

--Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: VollyBall injury Non-Popular topic

Hello and welcome to the HealthBoards. We are happy to have you...

I loved to play volleyball when I was younger, and I am glad you enjoy it as well. It is a great game. I do not see why it would be unpopular, maybe just a different cause of shoulder injury. It is a sports related injury, which are very common.

When it comes to shoulder injuries, without a doctor to diagnose the exact nature of it, it would be impossible to guess.

As much as you will probably not like my advice, I will share what I know with you, and hope for more posters will come along with more experience than I have with shoulder injury.

When it hurts the best thing to do is stop the activity that causes you the pain, that is just logical. I know, that means no volleyball until you are healed or treated properly. The first step would be resting the injured area, and using heat and ice, 20 minutes on, 20 min off. Any further use of the hurt area could cause more injury and a longer time for healing.

I know there are stretching and exercises that would help, but without knowing the exact injury, it would be potentially damaging to guess and do the wrong thing.

Can you cut out the serving for now, as that seems like the most damaging move on the court. Try and avoid the over the shoulder shots, and stick with the underhand moves, or even better, coach the team for now, and cheer the team on until you are healed.

Damage now can last a life time, so be aware of what can happen if you continue to injure yourself.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by writeleft; 06-13-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
(male)

hawjboiz HB User

I understand what you mean. I've been trying hard not to play. there are days with no pain at all and there are days with pain. Serving underhand is what i try to do all the time its the spiking that has more impact.

Does anyone know if a small tear is still possible to continue being active or not?

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-14-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawjboiz View Post
I understand what you mean. I've been trying hard not to play. there are days with no pain at all and there are days with pain. Serving underhand is what i try to do all the time its the spiking that has more impact.

Does anyone know if a small tear is still possible to continue being active or not?

< edited >
What we do know is that you do not have a tight capsule in your large shoulder joint. Also as the pain is intermittent that it doesn't seem like a torn muscle or tendon. You don't have the pattern of an acromioclavicular joint lesion either. No nerve injury as you do not have weakness. So unless you have something very rare we can believe you have either a bursitis or a tendon being impinged upon. My money would be on the tendon being impinged somewhere under the A/C joint. See a PT and get a diagnosis, advice and treatment.
James

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
hawjboiz (06-15-2011), writeleft (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
(male)

hawjboiz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
What we do know is that you do not have a tight capsule in your large shoulder joint. Also as the pain is intermittent that it doesn't seem like a torn muscle or tendon. You don't have the pattern of an acromioclavicular joint lesion either. No nerve injury as you do not have weakness. So unless you have something very rare we can believe you have either a bursitis or a tendon being impinged upon. My money would be on the tendon being impinged somewhere under the A/C joint. See a PT and get a diagnosis, advice and treatment.
James
Wow you might actully be close to it. from what you explained and some of the symthoms it is close to the bursitis or impinged tendon.

For example, two weeks ago during a tournament that I wasn't planning on playing in my shoulder felt great. When a team had an emergency and needed me; i played one game less than 15 minutes. The day after it was slightly sore. This last weekend I used one of those stretchy bands to work it out a little. Now it is in pain. Pain in my sleep and during the day. I have not taken any medication for it.

Today I am taking two Advil and the pain is reduced. but I am sore from playing for the last two days. with minimal spiking. All I am doing is setting the ball but my arms are lifted above my head so it has pressure on my shoulders.

Therefore, I do agree with some things that you are saying because it is possible to hit the ball super hard like I used to but not in some angles. For example on some spikes people stretch out their arm or reach to kill the ball. When I do this it hurts so I don't ever do that no more. This is more detail about my shoulder and it is possible that you are correct if it is a bursitis or a tendon being impinged.

Does anyone know any ways to treat this? or rehab?

just happened, if you grab your right shoulder. right where your fingure tips are my muscles there were just twitching for a good 10-15 seconds what does this mean also?

Last edited by hawjboiz; 06-15-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: twitching

Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Thank goodness James came along with some useful information that helps. Thanks James, I was hoping he would get more information than I could offer.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
(male)

hawjboiz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Thank goodness James came along with some useful information that helps. Thanks James, I was hoping he would get more information than I could offer.
LOL.. well I guess it is verified that it is a good possibility. I hope others that have similar problems like me find this post.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
(male)

hawjboiz HB User

A quick thought. How will we really know if it is the rotator cuff or the bursitis or a tendon being impinged upon? Since both symptoms are similar in pain? When lifting my arms and stuff I do have pain. Some times there is no pain. if I take Advil or something like that it helps and I might be able to play on it. So my big question is, How will i know if it is the cuff or the bursitis?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Well that can be difficult, remember that when you speak of tendons you are relating to part of the rotator cuff, the tendons of the muscles of the glenohumeral joint, that is the big ball and socket joint. The tendons, one or more can become inflammed or impinged on certain movements. The bursa allow the tendons to glide freely and not rub on the bone. Therefore it is difficult sometimes to know by the history and physical exam which one it is. For instance if supraspinatus is the culprit its bursa may or may not be involved. In fact the true culprit may be the lack of space under the acromioclavicular joint. One way is to have a needle inserted into the bursa or and tendon with a few drops of numbing stuff and if you can't produce the symptoms there you may have the diagnosis. Of course you need someone who knows the anatomy of the shoulder.
James

i

Last edited by james079; 06-21-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Closed Thread