It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

Dubster HB User
"Strained rotator cuff and tight posterior capsule"

A little over 2 months ago I was diagnosed with a "strained rotator cuff and tight posterior capsule." I showed the doctor exactly where my right shoulder hurt, he looked at X-rays, and moved my arm around to further examine it.

He said there was some inflamation in the roatator cuff and that I should take pain killers (Aleve, etc.) for that. He also reffered me to a P.T. so I could strengthen my shoulder and return to doing to what I love to do (weight lifting).

For the last 2 months I have been doing physical therapy at home and at the P.T.'s office. For the last few weeks nothing new has been added and because I have progressed so much they are not going to add anything new to my regimine. I feel like I have plateaued in my recovery, however. After about 2 weeks of doing the same theraputic exercises I decided I would start lifting weights again as I didn't feel like I was getting any better. Of course I have been lifting lightly. I also make sure to stretch and loosen up well before lifting. I also do my therapy IMMEDIATELY after lifting weights.

At this point the pain is still there. It's much better than before I started therapy, but it seems to have hit a wall now, whether I lift weights or not.

What should I do? This is extremely frustrating as I want to get back in the gym at full go. The pain in the top front, center of my shoulder.

Thanks,

Alex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: "Strained rotator cuff and tight posterior capsule"

Did you have an injury?
James

Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
(male)

Dubster HB User

Yes. This stems from weight lifting all the way back in October. Did chest one day, felt normal, then the next day my shoulder hurt so bad I could barely move it. I went to a doctor in November and he only gave me some stretches to do.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Tell us exactly where your pain is and if it goes anywhere other than your shoulder. It is important to know this to find out what has gone wrong.
james

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
(male)

Dubster HB User

The pain is only in my right shoulder. I only feel the pain when sticking my arm straight up in the air, behind my head (such as to stretch), and sometimes when i do a chest exercise such push ups or bench pressing.

The pain is felt at the very top center of my shoulder, slightly towards the front side my body. It kind of feels like it is pinching something towards my neck when I make the movements I mentioned above.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

If you have a strained rotator cuff and tight "posterior capsule" whatever that is, you have to have pain down the arm as the capsule nerves and tendon neves are from the same ones, from C5 down that supply the arm. The acromioclavicular is innervated from C4 if I remember so the pain should be at the tip of the shoulder. The A/C joint has a pattern of movement in which the joint is under tension when the shoulder joint reaches the end of its range, that is why you have pain raising you arm and the pain appears at full elevation. Now try this, raise your arm so it is parallel to the ground and have someone bring your arm accross your chest and see if it gives you pain or discomfort in the top of your shoulder. Usually this is the most painful task. If this movement is not painful you most likely have a subacromial bursa. If it is your A/C joint or the barsa one shot of painkiller and cortizone into the offending area should suffice. Quit the weights till you get full passive movements or the plateau feeling will remain.
James

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
(male)

Dubster HB User

Thank you for your help. Is bursitis something that would be visible in an X-ray?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubster View Post
Thank you for your help. Is bursitis something that would be visible in an X-ray?
Tendons and bursae will show on an xray if there if a clcium deposite in them. By the way, did you get pain when your arm was taken across your chest?
James

Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
(male)

Dubster HB User

I did not.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubster View Post
I did not.
Then could be subacromial bursa, have your doc needle it.
James

Closed Thread