It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
(male)

andy1992 HB User
Very weird shoulder issue (pic attached).

I dont know why, but I can raise but left should bone/ muscle (what ever it is), i have full control over it, yet nothing on my right arm. My left shoulder also has problems with clicking I have only just noticed this, but had the clicking for a year.

It seems as though something is dislocating but totally painless, but yet I still have full ROM in my left arm while holding this position. It is totally impossible with my right side.

It looks even worse from side on but cant take a picture.
Help me out guys, seems like the shoulder blade but yet its soft, feels like muscle that isn't attached to anything. I have no idea.

edit: after looking at it from side on it seems as though the should blade is indeed protruding when tensed.

Normal/relaxed then Tensing this thing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (19.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (18.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: to show your pics as attachments

Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Very weird shoulder issue (pic attached).

Welcome Andy,
Tell me if the following is correct. You have no pain but you can't complete a full range in your shoulder. If someone moves the arm for you can we presume you can be helped through a full range? If so, the problem would appear to be a weak muscle or group of weak muscles. So either the muscle is at fault or the nerve supply to the muscles. Many conditions contibute to such conditions but we can leave out those in which you are not old enough to suffer from and those which are caused by trauma or those where muscle weakness is preceded by pain. We are therefore left with two different nerve signs. One "The long Thoracic Nerve". So stand a bit away from the wall, lean forwards weight on your hands. Does your shoulder blade wing. If so you probably have the LTN neuritis.
If OK do the same test again and get someone to see if you shoulder blade pokes out a bit at next to the spine. If this is so it may well be the "Spinal Accessory Nerve". If either are at fault it will take from 4 to 8 months to return to normal. Your history suggests the serratus anterior weakness from the long thoracic nerve with winging but the photos suggests the weakness in trapezius from the accessory nerve. Seems to be loss of bulk.Google these anatomical terms above and you will get a good picture of things. Let us know. This is fairly rare and interesting. See your Doc in any case.
James

Last edited by james079; 07-15-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
andy1992 (07-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
(male)

andy1992 HB User

hi, thank you for the reply. I do indeed have a full range of motion, Which I can do with no help whatsoever. the only thing is click I have to get passed every time I spin my arm around every time.
I go to gym quite often if it matters and can do press ups with out it sticking out, it seems to stick out it I tense it.
Yeah I have to wait till Monday to book an appointment.
If I push against the wall, it seems to stick a tad bit more than the right one but it doesn't wing.

Its only when I tense a certain muscle, as soon as I stop tensing it goes down.

Last edited by Scott_HB; 08-03-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
(male)

andy1992 HB User

Sorry just thought I should add some more information. I have managed to find which muscle I tense which causes the winging. It is the pec (seems to be mostly when I tense the lower left pec). It seems to only happen when I tense the lower left pec and slant slightly forward. If my back is straight and tencethe pec, its fine.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
(male)

andy1992 HB User

Guys back after 2 months, visited doctors who think its a lipoma and havent seen anything like it...
Ive got some more info for you guys.
1)it is winged scapula
2)only sticks out if I straighten my arm and tense peck, no other motion makes it poke out,
3)shoulder painlessly clicks (very noticable) when doing lateral raises, are they related?
4)Remember straining same should when I was 15 doing lateral raises in the wrong movement.

Any ideas?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

A lipoma!, are you sure these were medical doctors?
You have weakness in your serratus anterior from a long thoracic nerve palsy, a common happening in weight lifters. Looking at the photo you may have an accessory nerve involvement affecting trapezius. See someone who knows what what to test for, a neurologist preferably. Physiotherapists could easily diagnose this as well.
James

Closed Thread