It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

bkm1923 HB User
acute shoulder pain

I am a 40 year old woman. I have had acute pain under my right shoulder blade, everyday, for 4.5 years now. I can only describe it as a "knot". The pain is constant whether at rest or during activity. It is very bad when laying down and I can feel it every time i inhale. Because it is "under" the shoulder blade, you can't get to it. I'm so frustrated. I've had a chest xray and an MRI of the neck and both were negative. Have tried anti inflammatories, Lyrica, and pain meds to no avail. Anyone know of this?

The Following User Says Thank You to bkm1923 For This Useful Post:
Squirrr (01-23-2012)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: acute shoulder pain

I suppose the good news is that it is not something such as a heart condition as after several years it would have been diagnosed. It could be a facet or rib joint which has lost it's mobility, perhaps it needs manipulating. Also the muscles which the scapula rubs over can give chronic pain and at times crepitus can be heard or at least felt. If you can move your scapula back as far as possible to the spine have your partner do some friction massage to where you think the pain is coming from and as far under the shoulder blade as possible. Usually the painfull area is normally not much more painfull when being rubbed. Good luck.
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
(male)

nfld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm1923 View Post
I am a 40 year old woman. I have had acute pain under my right shoulder blade, everyday, for 4.5 years now. I can only describe it as a "knot". The pain is constant whether at rest or during activity. It is very bad when laying down and I can feel it every time i inhale. Because it is "under" the shoulder blade, you can't get to it. I'm so frustrated. I've had a chest xray and an MRI of the neck and both were negative. Have tried anti inflammatories, Lyrica, and pain meds to no avail. Anyone know of this?
hi, it sounds like i have a simalar problem although i have pain in my shoulder aswell as my shoulder blade, the pain in my shoulder is like a dull ache thats doesnt really go away. My doc thinks i could have a small labral tear. Im not so sure because i have full rom and decent strength but it just aches most of the time and certian movements seem to cause it to flare up. My shoulder blade came after the shoulder problem. It feels like there are knots under the blade itself and it seems like they are just out of reach to massage them, my PT thinks its an RSI from over compensating for the shoulder problem over the past year along with rotatorcuff tendenitis. I am getting an mri done in dec and they are also doing an arthrogram with it to try and find a tear.The one bad thing is that i am terrified of needles and the arthrogram procedure involves the biggest needle ive ever seen. I would really like to know if you have any more of the symptoms i have?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

Hi Bkm1923,
Has any doctor recommended or referred you to a good MASSAGIST??? These folks are trained to 'find knots' --- and with ultrasound, electricity, acupuncture or a knowledgeable rub can deal with many pains like this. It wouldn't be a 'quick fix' -- but if your primary doc thinks it ?may? help -- do consider. I'm SOLD on massage therapy -- as I have lots of 'born with tight knots' in my shoulder/back. I wish you good luck on finding help.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
(male)

kolbrun2606 HB Userkolbrun2606 HB User

Hi. I used to have this "knot" under my shoulder blade after work for many more years but it used to disappear when I rested. In my case it was the indication of a swollen supraspinatus. It swells because of a bad blood flow and I had always a little problems with my lower back and my pelvis was turned very early, at least at 30 yrs. my PT says. This is also genetic so try to remember what happened to your grandma/pa. Make sure you get a good physiotherapist the sooner the better!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbrun2606 View Post
Hi. I used to have this "knot" under my shoulder blade after work for many more years but it used to disappear when I rested. In my case it was the indication of a swollen supraspinatus. It swells because of a bad blood flow and I had always a little problems with my lower back and my pelvis was turned very early, at least at 30 yrs. my PT says. This is also genetic so try to remember what happened to your grandma/pa. Make sure you get a good physiotherapist the sooner the better!
Supraspinatus,( ie supra: above) is surely on the upper outside of the scapula and would not cause a knot under the blade?
James

Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
(male)

Hi James. My PT told me the movement of the scapula changes when the supraspinatus is swollen and the bursa and cannot move freely!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbrun2606 View Post
Hi James. My PT told me the movement of the scapula changes when the supraspinatus is swollen and the bursa and cannot move freely!
No, it does not change the kinematics of the scapulo thoracic movement and even if it did it would hardly be the cause of anterior scapular pain.
James

Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
(male)

Thanks James. Are you orthopedic surgeon maybe? Now my PT thinks cause of this pain might be a frozen rib. I´m curious what you think about this.I get this pain always after doing lots of cutting in front of me, t.i. moving my right hand back and forth very quickly for a long time. Then this anterior scapular pain feels like burning and might take a long time to get away but it always did and no pain at night. By the way the reason why my supra snapped was a hard fall on the stretchted right hand. The surge wrote there had been a serious impingement. The PT says this was caused by many years of poor bloodflow which originated from a turned pelvis and as well as stiffness of the spinefluid. Also my left supra was in poor state but could be saved by a small decompreesion and intensive exercising for 2 years.

Closed Thread