It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

Queenie49 HB User
Smile severe shoulder arthritis and a tear

Hi, I am a newcomer and have been having shoulder pain for several months. Finally, had a MRI and was told there is severe shoulder arthritis and also a tear. I'm waiting to see my orthopedic doctor who has said I am a candidate for shoulder replacement!! I just had total knee replacement surgery in April and I am in no frame of mind to consider shoulder replacement. Has anyone here had shoulder replacement surgery?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: severe shoulder arthritis and a tear

Just how bad is your pain and how limited is your shoulder?
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie49 View Post
Hi, I am a newcomer and have been having shoulder pain for several months. Finally, had a MRI and was told there is severe shoulder arthritis and also a tear. I'm waiting to see my orthopedic doctor who has said I am a candidate for shoulder replacement!! I just had total knee replacement surgery in April and I am in no frame of mind to consider shoulder replacement. Has anyone here had shoulder replacement surgery?
I have the same after a Frozen Shoulder. Diagnosed after F.S. with wear/tear Arthritis.
The pain is awful at times and my shoulder or top of arm will go into spasm which is scary.
Owing to stomach ulcer I cannot take Anti-inflammatories.
Have you tried Physiotherapy. I was given exercise to do at home to avoid F.S. again and have now been given an Anti-inflammatory gel to rub in.
I am going to stick with this for a time and see how things work out.
I know what you are going through, exercise is really important for Arthritis.
All the best, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Queenie49 (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
(female)

Queenie49 HB User

I really don't have a problem with pain until I move it in certain directions (lifting, reaching behind my back, crossing over in front of my body). Can't sleep on the side with the problem. According to the MRI, I have advanced arthritis in the shoulder,and there is a tear- although I don't know exactly where or how large or small. I am doing prescribed exercises until I see my doctor on Sept. 7.
Thanks.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

Queenie49 HB User

there is not much pain unless I am lifting my arm, crossing over my body, or reaching behind. As I think I said, the MRI shows I have advanced arthritis in the shoulder and a tear (which I don't know where it is or how large or small).
I have an appt. with my doctor on Sept. 7. For now, I am doing prescribed exercises every day.

I'm just getting past a total knee replacement and do not want to even think about any surgery.

A little frustrated right now. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
(female)

carolteach HB User

I too am a candidate for a shoulder replacement -- severe arthritis. I had a knee replaced about a year and a half ago. I am so afraid of a replacement -- not that many people have had them. If anyone has information I too would like to have it.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie49 View Post
there is not much pain unless I am lifting my arm, crossing over my body, or reaching behind. As I think I said, the MRI shows I have advanced arthritis in the shoulder and a tear (which I don't know where it is or how large or small).
I have an appt. with my doctor on Sept. 7. For now, I am doing prescribed exercises every day.

I'm just getting past a total knee replacement and do not want to even think about any surgery.

A little frustrated right now. Thanks.

Hi, I also had a tear, A ligament I think they said.
Mine was also diagnosed with MRI. My frozen shoulder lasted over two yrs.
My Dr said it was one of the worst she had seen. Yesterday she told me I must keep up the exercises (painful) or it will freeze again.
I was told I could have Manipulative surgery for the F.S. but I refused.
If your Dr recommends surgery for you then he must think that is the best option. Solofelix.

Closed Thread