It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

ocpilates HB User
Unhappy Labrum tear of the shoulder...surgery needed?

Hey All,
I'm a Pilates enthusiast and budding instructor who recently hurt my shoulder in yoga. It looks like I have a bone contusion as well as a posterior labral tear. I feel pain in my biceps tendon too so I am thinking there's more to this. I injured it 4 months ago and have had no improvement from physical therapy. I'm going nuts since I can't work out anything but my legs. It's literally driving me crazy and making me depressed.

So, my question is, has anyone had surgery to repair this? My surgeon said it's probably necessary and told me recovery would involve 9-12 months without ANY activity involving the shoulder. That sounds unbearable to me but at this point, it seems like my only option.

Has anyone else had a labrum tear? Did you do surgery? Are you back to 100%?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Labrum tear of the shoulder...surgery needed?

Is your problem loss of range or pain or both. To get what you call a bone contusion would be from a direct blow to the part, is this what happened? What did your PT consist of ?
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

ocpilates HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
Is your problem loss of range or pain or both. To get what you call a bone contusion would be from a direct blow to the part, is this what happened? What did your PT consist of ?
James
I haven't had loss of range at all. Part of my problem is actually how flexible my shoulders are to begin with, so my main issue is instability. The contusion is due to a direct blow. I fell on the outstretched arm in yoga.

PT hasn't helped at all. I've mostly been doing rows and rotator cuff strengthening with the thera band. Every time I try to do anything more aggressive the pain gets worse. Really though, the pain has never been over a 5 on a scale of 1-10, it's just constantly there and worsens if I try to do anything, even cleaning my apartment

Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

I had a SLAP II repair 5 years ago. The bicep tendon got pinched and I had sudden excruciating pain for a few minutes. The MRI at that time did not show the tear and my surgeon was surprised. I was not allowed any exercise for 1 month, then slow PT the second month. I returned to work after 2 months, but it was 4 months before I could reach behind me to hook my bra. I work in the Operating Room and moving patients and other activities is quite stressful. By 6 months I was back to normal.

I now have a SLAP II lesion in the opposite shoulder. While the pain is minimal, it is the weakness and difficulty with over shoulder height activities that have progressed over 4 months. This time the MRI showed the tear. So here we go again....

Yes, it is a long progress, but to let it go longer puts you at risk for further damage.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
(female)

ocpilates HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84life View Post
I had a SLAP II repair 5 years ago. The bicep tendon got pinched and I had sudden excruciating pain for a few minutes. The MRI at that time did not show the tear and my surgeon was surprised. I was not allowed any exercise for 1 month, then slow PT the second month. I returned to work after 2 months, but it was 4 months before I could reach behind me to hook my bra. I work in the Operating Room and moving patients and other activities is quite stressful. By 6 months I was back to normal.

I now have a SLAP II lesion in the opposite shoulder. While the pain is minimal, it is the weakness and difficulty with over shoulder height activities that have progressed over 4 months. This time the MRI showed the tear. So here we go again....

Yes, it is a long progress, but to let it go longer puts you at risk for further damage.

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this a second time.

Six months is about the average of what I've been hearing. My surgery is now scheduled for a few weeks away so I'm just mentally preparing.

I have been told to plan on 3-6 weeks off of work since unfortunately this is the shoulder of my dominant arm. My boss was none-too-pleased. I just work at a desk job though, and although it will be annoying and difficult, I think I could work one-armed. Do you think you would have been able to return to a desk job in a shorter amount of time?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

No I do not think you should return even to a desk job in less time then the surgeon stated. The shoulder stitching needs time to heal - any unusual movement could pull it all apart. We do things and movement out of habit. Don't risk it. Talk with your doctor in the post-op office visit and let him guide you.

Closed Thread