It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
(female)

IMissYoga HB User
Remplissage or Hill Sachs, anyone?

Hello, all!

I am 12 weeks out of arthroscopic shoulder surgery. I suffered 8-12 dislocations on my right (dominant) shoulder over a period of 12 years. I had a pretty significant hills-sachs lesion which required a remplissage (anchoring of tissue to my humerus) and a torn labrum. I was in a sling for 5 weeks after my surgery and started PT 6 weeks after.

Six weeks into physical therapy, I have really only seen improvement in my flexion (went from 120-ish degrees to 160-ish degrees). It's pretty much impossible for me to shave my left arm pit with my right hand (sad face) or zip up my dresses (double sad face). I met with my surgeon yesterday for follow up, and he said he expects me to only gain about 10 degrees in my flexion and a little bit of movement when I reach behind me (currently I can only reach my right butt cheek ). He attributed my "stiffness" to the remplissage. Originally he told me I could expect to gain 85% of range of motion. I am no where near that! He told me that the remplissage is a relatively new procedure and that he himself has only done four of them.

This whole process has been really depressing. Although my hill-sachs lesion was really big and dislocating my shoulder every year really sucked, I was at least able to live a relatively normal life. Now, it is difficult for me to enjoy the activities I did before my surgery (like yoga), and I still have enough discomfort to be aware of my shoulder every minute of the day.

I asked my surgeon about tissue release and manipulation under general anesthesia since we are both disappointed with my current range of motion, but he is afraid of undoing some of the work accomplished by the surgery. He instead asked me to continue with PT for another six weeks. I am going to continue with PT, but honestly, I feel like it is a waste of time and money since the surgeon does not think I will get much more motion back.

So now I am reaching out (no pun intended) to those of you who have had the remplissage or any other procedure to fix a large hill sachs lesion. What were your experiences with physical therapy? How much range of motion do you have now? Has anyone has a post operative release or manipulation performed?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Remplissage or Hill Sachs, anyone?

Welcome to the board, Sorry to heal of your trials and tribulations with your shoulder. This operation is new to me. Sure is slow. What sort of PT are you having.
James

Closed Thread