It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
(male)

Shoulders1091 HB User
Almost a year after surgery... Still have instability

Its almost 1 year since I had an orthoscopic SLAP tear repair (Nov 3). I have very good range of motion, pretty good strength and flexibility, but I still feel a great deal of instability when I do movements such as arm circles, or even front raises.

I've been doing a lot of RC exercises (int/ext rotation) in an attempt to fix this stability problem, but I don't see that as working. Any ideas as to what is going on in there? Why does it feel that something is popping out, then back in?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: Almost a year after surgery... Still have instability

Have you been back to your surgeon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
(male)

Shoulders1091 HB User

Several times, but for several issues... I was looking to get the other shoulder operated on, but then I cancelled... I went back and forth a couple of times. I'm a little reluctant to go there again, but it does sound reasonable to see the surgeon that operated on me, and listen to what he has to say...

Maybe they can do another orthoscopy, to see what the deal is in there. That would probably be the best thing, but it costs money, luckily I'm insured, but I've really squeezed what I could out of them, and I'm not sure how much more juice there is, honestly.

I'm just for some other answers/options online in the mean time.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

So shoulders, what caused your initial injury and how long ago did it happen. What could you not do that you can do now? Like most musculoskeletal conditions I'm sure a slap lesion has several classifications, type one would be a minor tear whereas type three or four or whatever it maybe would be perhaps frayed or stretched or the cartilage degenerated. It maybe that with the more degenerated shoulders improvement might not be perfect. You can hear of this regularly with pitchers and in days gone bye laborers who did repetative heavy work. Another aspect is that if the shoulder subluxed before there is an apprehension after the operation that it feels like it may do it again.
You were doing internal and external band exercises but what have you progressed to now?
James

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
(male)

Shoulders1091 HB User

My arm dislocated, broke off like a branch. I really don't know the details, but it was bad, they put 3 anchors in.

I'm just upset that I'm still having problems.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

You say, "my arm broke off like a branch" and you are upset that although you have good flexability and strength it feels unstable. I would think after such a severe injury that you have a very good result. What rehab work have you continued at home with?
James

Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
(male)

Shoulders1091 HB User

You're right, I'm blessed to have my arm still connected... I've been doing exercises here and there for the last 11 months... Sometimes more intense and for a longer duration than others. Exercises usually for Rotator Cuff, shoulders, and scapular muscles.

I recently tried some stretches that I think made the instability worse, maybe strained one of the RC muscles or stretched it. So I'm kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. I want to exercise to get my muscles strong, but not only is it difficult to do that physically due to pain, I'm worried it only makes the problem worse.... I see the Doc tomorrow. This AC joint needs to get shaved as well.

I set high standards for myself because I have to, plus I'm a young guy.

Closed Thread