It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
(male)

sponger951 HB User
Has anyone had Platelet Rich Plasma done

Hi, I have a bankart tear in my left shoulder and have had arthroscopic surgery in the past. There is a great procedure called Platelet Rich Plasma and I was wondering if anyone has had this done with a bankart/slap tear on their shoulder. Even if you have had this done on any joint injury let me know. Peace

Old 01-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Has anyone had Platelet Rich Plasma done

I would say that with a Bankart lesion you have a tear of the labrum which is the fibrous material deepening the shoulder joint. There is a danger that the humerus will dislocate as there is instability. I cant see PRP having an effect at all on a lesion like this. In fact evidence shows that it is if little help for any injury even if TIGER says so. Also at $1,000 a pop and you may need 3 shots is it not surprising it's touted by those who do it.
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
(male)

sponger951 HB User

Thanks for responding James. I went ahead and had PRP done. Luckily with my insurance it was only $15!!!!!!!!!!!! And I had it done by the doctor who perfected the procedure. I'll keep you updated on the results!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
(male)

sponger951 HB User

Well guys let me give you an update. I had the first PRP session done. Besides the fact that I almost passed out giving blood (note, drink lots of fluid and eat a good amount of food before giving blood haha) it was an easy procedure. They don't put you under and withdrawing the blood, separating the platelets from the blood and injecting the platelets takes about 35 minutes. The shoulder was sore for about a week after the injury and my range of motion was limited. After the 6 weeks I felt like one injection was not enough to completely heal my injury but I did feel like my labrum was stronger because there was a slight increase in my range of motion. It's been almost two weeks since my second injection and it is still to early to tell if it healed a lot. I will keep you updated!! Here's a few notes too. If you are going to get this done, don't expect to work out with weights until maybe week 3 to be on the safe side. Working out with weights seemed to create a lot of painful inflammation. Another note, to give you an idea as far as the progression, I started out started out at about 40%, after the first it maybe jumped up to 50% and ill let you know if there is any increase with the 2nd procedure. Until then, Peace!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
(female)

capodo HB User

Glad to know the PRP went well for you! I had PRP done on my right ankle (tendon tears) about two years ago. They had to put me out for the procedure. I actually have a high pain threshold, but HOLY WOW... steriod shots kill me. And I was told the PRP would be just as severe. I only had one procedure done and couldn't afford the rest.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
(male)

sponger951 HB User

Well it's been about 3 weeks since I wrote about the second injection. To be honest I haven't seen too much improvement in strength and range of motion. As far as a percentage it might have gone up about 6%. I don't have the patience to continue getting these injections done if every time there will only be a small increase. Going from working out 5-6 days a week to only being able to do lower body one to maybe twice a week has affected me physically and mentally. With that said, I am going to have my arm amputated so I no longer Have this problem. JK!!!! Going to have arthroscopic done in about a week and try to follow the recovery process that Drew Brees followed. After the surgery I am going to have another Prp sesh just to help any cartilage heal quicker. There is also a procedure called Prolotherapy and an institution called Thorp Institution that are worth checking out if you have any tissue injuries. My final opinion on PRP. If you have any tissue issues that are not deep in your body (muscle, lower back, knee) then I think this procedure may benefit you. Hope this helps someone out in the future. Peace

Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger951 View Post
Well it's been about 3 weeks since I wrote about the second injection. To be honest I haven't seen too much improvement in strength and range of motion. As far as a percentage it might have gone up about 6%. I don't have the patience to continue getting these injections done if every time there will only be a small increase. Going from working out 5-6 days a week to only being able to do lower body one to maybe twice a week has affected me physically and mentally. With that said, I am going to have my arm amputated so I no longer Have this problem. JK!!!! Going to have arthroscopic done in about a week and try to follow the recovery process that Drew Brees followed. After the surgery I am going to have another Prp sesh just to help any cartilage heal quicker. There is also a procedure called Prolotherapy and an institution called Thorp Institution that are worth checking out if you have any tissue injuries. My final opinion on PRP. If you have any tissue issues that are not deep in your body (muscle, lower back, knee) then I think this procedure may benefit you. Hope this helps someone out in the future. Peace
I really don't know why a doctor would give a platelet injection into an area in which, like a labral tendinous lesion, could not possibly work.
James

Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Thanks for your updats on your PRP treatment. I have a friend who it was very successful for.

I would love to try it, but it isn't covered at all by my insurance.

I have rotator cuff multidirectional instability and get flares at least once a year. I don't have many treatment options.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
(male)

sponger951 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
I really don't know why a doctor would give a platelet injection into an area in which, like a labral tendinous lesion, could not possibly work.
James
You know James I have wondered that myself. He even mentioned that he has attempted PRP with a few others but they still have shoulders that "clunk" down. I was hoping to be one of those miraculous rare cases where you heal fine but unfortunately I was not. He seemed like a nice guy but maybe in the end the ***hole just wanted money. I had to cancel my arthroscopic surgery the day before because after the doc examined the MRI images, he saw that there had been a good amount of bone loss on the shoulder bone. Now I have to see if I have to get another procedure done in replace of the Arthoscopic or in addition to.

The following user gives a hug of support to sponger951:
MountainReader (03-23-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger951 View Post
You know James I have wondered that myself. He even mentioned that he has attempted PRP with a few others but they still have shoulders that "clunk" down. I was hoping to be one of those miraculous rare cases where you heal fine but unfortunately I was not. He seemed like a nice guy but maybe in the end the ***hole just wanted money. I had to cancel my arthroscopic surgery the day before because after the doc examined the MRI images, he saw that there had been a good amount of bone loss on the shoulder bone. Now I have to see if I have to get another procedure done in replace of the Arthoscopic or in addition to.
You answered my question!
James

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
(male)

Tangles112 HB User

I have had PRP and straight blood injections into a tendinosis/tendinopathy injury site and it has been quite successful. It's pretty good gear, and a great advancement in medicine.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
(male)

sponger951 HB User

Well it's been several months since I had the prp session. I ended up having some bone loss because of the dislocations and because of this a laterjet/bankart repair was done. When it comes down to it I would not recommend prp if you have a joint that dislocates, get mri/ct's done and you'll most likely have to get arthroscopic done. Hope this helps anyone in the future!!

Closed Thread