It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
SLAP Tear Surgery Scheduled for 1/24 Any advice

Hi all,
I am scheduled for SLAP tear surgery on the 24th of this month. Anyone that has had this surgery, do you have any advice for me. Things to be ready for both before and after surgery.
Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to maggietaz:
xilch (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User
Re: SLAP Tear Surgery Scheduled for 1/24 Any advice

hi maggietaz --- i had rotator cuff surgery 5 months ago.... do you live alone? do you need to head back to work quickly? i hope you have TIME to recuperate WITH HELP.... everyone is different in how they recuperate with it -- probably because everyone's procedure is different even if they are having the same laparoscopy surgery. be sure to accept the GOOD pain meds before leaving the surgical clinic and get them in your system before the nerve block wears off; hope you have a type of recliner for sleeping; if they put you in a pillow sling and find it as uncomfortable as i did, i was unable to sleep in bed; buy several gel ice packs, one with a cloth cover -- you will use them for weeks and weeks; you might also find a heating pad useful; depending upon your surgeon's directions, you'll probably begin PT in 10 days to 2 1/2 weeks..... PT can be extremely challenging, so remember to take MEDS before you head there. i don't wish to bore you or scare you with too much info -- and i'll happily write more as you have questions or desire more tips.... i wish you well.....

The Following User Says Thank You to xilch For This Useful Post:
maggietaz (01-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Thanks Wanda Jo
My husband will be around to help me as much as I need as he works from home during the winter months. Right now the doctor is saying I will be out of work for six weeks, hope I can from ack before that, but will follow orders. I am used to dealing wth some pain on a regular basis as I have CRPS in my lower left leg, but don't like to take the pain meds, but take the, when I have too. Any special things you did for clothing during the first few weeks?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

hi maggietaz --

good question about the clothing --- if you have a large robe or shirt to bring with you to the surgical center you may be happy with something very loose and able to close in front without having to even go thru your surgical arm..... some good friend gave me some big blouses that button down the front and later they were useful..... during the recuperation, tho, i wore a sleep bra because i could hook it in the front with very little help -- besides the strap on the shoulder did NOT feel good..... i found an old robe that could go over my head without having to raise my surgical arm --- and that is what i washed and wore every day...... i also found i had some old polyester sundresses that were perfect: big, loose, and didn't require that i raise the surgical arm -----

be prepared to need help in the shower..... i brought in a stool, sat on it -- and hubby had the job of washing where it didn't hurt when the good arm ran out of ooommmph............ it felt so good to be clean in the a.m. -- and yet it took a lot out of me....and those recuperative naps were gorgeous.....

big and loose is the answer -- and something that can cover you so visitors can come
see you..... and yet you are comfortable.....

keep those questions a'comin' ---

Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I am in the northeast, so it is kind of cooler here now, so have some camisole type tops that I can just pull straight up and then thought I would just use some zip up type sweat jackets and sweats. I am right handed and having the right shoulder done.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

you sound as if you have the clothing thing figgered out well -- anything that will go around you and not needing to raise that surgical arm will do very nicely........

i found great comfort from a little 1/2 pillow i still had from long ago --- the slight elevation of the arm seemed to provide less discomfort for me.........

friends of mine have described this post-surgery recuperation as more challenging than childbirth.... my primary doc was a Navy surgeon for years and he saw 'macho men' try to go back to doing 'man things' waaaaay to early and did terrible things to their recuperation..... i know you mentioned you feel you have a good toleration of pain -- but PLEASE do not turn down the medication the surgeon gives you. my surgeon began me on a lower type med and within 12 hours i was calling and requesting something stronger. percocet worked well for me -- and surely helped me thru the roughest of the PT sessions..... i surely do not wish to predestine you to have the same pain as others have had with this -- but i do believe you should be prepared with meds that will help 'just in case'....

being right handed will provide you with the need to do some adjustments with daily activities. depending upon your surgeon's directions (i.e. some surgeons desire total quiet in the sling for 10 days or so; some surgeons desire passive movements immediately) you or your PT therapist will be moving the arm very very gently...... while in the sling that has the 'tummy pillow' your arm will be unable to move for any activity. i became quite adept at being a one-handed typer for folks that were communicating with me...... you'll find your own needs and address them as time progresses.........

if you have a chance to prep meals ahead of time, you'll be happy you have some instant meals in the freezer............ unless your hubby desires to cook that is... my honey doesn't cook much but he was willing to dash to a ????? to get an entree and put together a salad..... i wasn't terribly hungry for anything for many a day -- but i knew i had to eat when i was taking the pain pills. soups tasted good, etc. do what works for you and your husband.

if you know how your body reacts to strong pain medicines, prepare yourself ahead of time for the side effects. the only side effect i get from percocet is extreme constipation --- and i discovered that powder fiber of any kind with juice or atop foods every day and every PM was a godsend...... that kept the plumbing working regularly. i also bought those fiber one brownies to use occasionally -- tasted good and worked like a dream

if you have a recliner, please figger out what blankets, pillows, etc. would work for your body when you lie in it --- with the arm in the surgical sling you are going to NEED to find a comfort zone quickly after the nerve block wears off...........

hope i haven't repeated too much from previous messages -- i'm raking my brain for things i learned or had help with while i was in those first weeks.....

Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks again Wanda Jo
Won't turn down any of the pain medication, alot of it makes me sick, so will ask for anti-nausea meds. as well. My husbands cooks fairly well, so we are ok on that level- I tend not to want to eat alot when I am laid up- but know I have to with the pain meds. so think it might be soup and sandwiches etc. for a little while. Doc said that it would be pendulms day after surgery and then husband would be taught how to help exercise the arm ten days out after that- guess it also depends upon what he finds when up goes in. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
(female)

maggietaz, you're gonna do great --- you sound as if you have a good handle on how to handle all this..... and you are thinking ahead truly well...... i found the recuperation pretty challenging but i'm ever so glad i had it done..... prior to it, my arm hurt so badly because of the 'complete tear' i had..... and it could have gotten much worse had i not allowed the surgery... and i was told by several medical sources that full tears do not do well when left on their own.... and at times later in life cannot be surgically helped.....

i promise to write again when/if i get a 'flash of good info' that i haven't thought of yet...
wishing you well ---

The Following User Says Thank You to xilch For This Useful Post:
maggietaz (01-09-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Had the surgery today. It was a good size slap tear. Had a nerve block. Said that should last for a out 12 hours. Arm is strapped to chest,no pillow thing thought, think it is just to keep the shoulder stable. Start tomorrow with the pendulum exercises. Can remove the bandage on Friday and take a shower.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
(female)

hi maggietaz --- hey, i was thinking of you all day yesterday and hoping that all went well. the nerve block will feel great -- and hopefully the meds you have will work wonders when that wears off............ glad to hear of those pendulum exercises........they are ever SOOOOOOO good for that arm and keeping it limber. it may not feel good at first but it will get stronger and stronger and stronger the more you do it....... don't worry about doing a wide swing at first.........just a gentle sway back and forth. wishing you well with all this...keep on writing when you wish........ love to help if i can ---- or just listen to what you are experiencing if i canot...............hugs

Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Thanks it was achy after doing the pendulum exercises this morning. Taking the sling offwas fun. Had to have my husband help me, it is like a Houdini act. Taking Percocet every four hours will probably switch to hydrocodone on Friday. Get the stitches out a week from Friday.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
(female)

yeah for 'modern chemistry' to control that pain --- residual pain from exercises is going to happen every day..... and it's okay to calm the size of that 'hanging swing' if the residual gets beyond what can be handled.......don't feel alone in not getting that sling off along....besides you don't want to move that arm much more than what was directed for the arm pendulums..... the arm pendulums aren't meant to do much more than to keep the arm from 'freezing up'...you don't have to worry you aren't moving enough.....the PT folks will do that for you once you begin that regime..... don't be too much in a hurry to get off percocet......you have the right to be in as low a degree of pain as you can...... i remember doing the 5 hour between pills for awhile and then tried to use something around 2 pm that was of lesser intensity for meds so i could save the percocet for nighttime to help me get to sleep........... how is sleeping going? where did you sleep?................

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I have been in the recliner pretty much since we got home. Not really getting that much sleep dozing off and on.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
(female)

my surgeon allowed me a prescription for ambien -- works great for putting you to sleep without groggy in the a.m. --- if you doc is reluctant to do that, Tylenol PM works sort of okay --- try to find a way to get more sleep if you can

also -- within two days i was checking with my surgeon as to whether he could 'live with me' if i slept without that dang sling/pillow attached to me.... i put it to him this way "What's the purpose of it? To keep my arm in one position only -- or safety so I don't move it drastically?" His response told me it was for SAFETY --- and so I asked if he could live with me if I created the position he wanted with PILLOWS -- it made all the difference.... it took TWO BIG PILLOWS and one half pillow to do the trick -- and believe me, my arm was safe.......as the recliner kept me from making any thrashing movements with the arm.... i still slept in spurts, but they were HOURS instead of minutes........ remember, not all goofy tips belong to everyone --- but i'll keep blabbing my 'comfort tips' in case they fit you and you care to try them..........

wishing you a comfy night ----

Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

I don't have the pillow thing, mine is just this Velcro contraption that you arm slides into and then it wraps around your chest and scraps over and under the shoulders! They'd the pendulms a second time yesterday and it was really sore and aching by the time I was dine, by some ice and a pain pill really helped and I slept for almost three hours! Longest I have slept at one time.

Closed Thread