It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

LazMaz HB User
Today marks 5 weeks since rotator cuff repair surgery!

I began PT 1 week after arthroscopic surgery to repair a medium tear in my rotator cuff and I go for therapy twice a week. At 5 weeks post op I am just now beginning to do active assistance motion with my physical therapist and at home. I am getting decent ROM, of course it could be better, but I am not discouraged at this time. My concern is that I am hitting an area in my range, that is an incredibly sharp pain and the movement almost seems to get "stuck". Has anyone had this problem?

I am a hairdresser and will have to be away from work at least 14 weeks. I am trying to be very diligent and work hard to follow the recommendations by both the Dr and the physical therapist, so I can return to work without difficulties. Have any other hairdressers dealt with this problem?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
(male)

Wanabewell HB User
Re: Today marks 5 weeks since rotator cuff repair surgery!

Hello, I am no expert but would like to share an experience. I had rotator surgery 5 years ago. Stick with the experienced physical therapists and/or say loudly and clearly to them "I am healing from surgery, not working out!" before they work on you. 2 weeks after my surgery when I had full ROM a younger therapist yanked on my arm when it got "stuck". I was laying flat on my back and she yanked on my outstretched arm towards behind my head. The pain made my scream, then cry, and I never felt like my ROM was OK after that and the doctor could not figure out what happened although MRI showed unexplained swelling. I am sure the PT caused harm. From my years in PT I observed the older more experienced ones knew their stuff. The younger ones take a course one day and think they knw it all - this person probably coaused me permanent damage. So be wary of the younger and/or more aggressive therapists! Aso from what I remember they do need to break up scar tissue but slow and steady should be the way to go, not always avoiding some discomfort but not ripping your shoulder apart either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
(female)

LazMaz HB User

Thanks for your insight, wow that experience sounded painful! I am working with an older, experienced therapist and she is definitely on the conservative side, and is following the Dr's protocol precisely. I am sure that I have just gotten to a place of soreness and stiffness, even though I am making progress. I am taking it slowly and working through the pain of therapy. Today, I have decided to take the day off from exercises at home, I think my shoulder needs a rest. Thank you again for your response.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazMaz View Post
Thanks for your insight, wow that experience sounded painful! I am working with an older, experienced therapist and she is definitely on the conservative side, and is following the Dr's protocol precisely. I am sure that I have just gotten to a place of soreness and stiffness, even though I am making progress. I am taking it slowly and working through the pain of therapy. Today, I have decided to take the day off from exercises at home, I think my shoulder needs a rest. Thank you again for your response.
Your shoulder capsule is now tighter than it was because of the inflammation from the operation. It is relatively easy to reach the stage where the capsule is now restricting your movements. The shoulder joint now acts like a hinge as it can't glide and roll as it should and loses it's joint play movements. Joint play movements are those which you can not do yourself and the therapist has to do for you. They are very small movements done passively, precisely and in a pain free fashion. The integrity of these movements make them important.
James

Closed Thread