It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Post Surgery Labrum Repair

Had labrum surgery 5 weeks ago. I will go see the doc in a week and then he will decide if i can remove the immobilizer at that time. It was a fully detached labrum. My question is how long is recovery after the 6 weeks when the immobilizer should be removed? What can you do the first few weeks and so on until u can have regular usage back and can lift things and throw a baseball with your kids?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: Post Surgery Labrum Repair

Hi, I know you posted this a few weeks ago, but I wants to see how you were doing. Did you do any other exercises while in the sling, I had a slap repair on the 24th of Jan, and had my stiches out this past Friday. I have been given two new exercises that my husband has to do with me, one is out to the side and one is more of an upward movement. One is somewhat painful. Just curious what PT has been like.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
(male)

I did not start any exercises until my 6th week. My doctor is very cautious which is fine. My first week of therapy has been great. I have doing shoulder swings, pendilums(think thats what there called), and general light stretches. After the first week of therapy which was only three sessions I can lift my arm three quarters of the way in front of me and half way out to my side when lifting up. The therapist said after 3 visits I am 3 weeks a head of schedule so I am going to the doc on Feb 9th to see if I can move forward to the next level since I am far a head. I still have some discomfort and and average pain level when doing stretches, but ice has become my best friend after stretches. Don't push it to hard, because you mess up the shoulder very quickly if you don't take it slow and easy in the start. Take your time as I waited a little longer to start therapy. Keep me posted and if I can tell you anything else please ask.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Wow, you weren't allowed to do anything? Sounds like you PT is going well. My shoulder is having a lot of pain the past few days, don't know why. I am two weeks today.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
(male)

Like I said my surgeon is very cautious, which is fine with me. I rather be safe then sorry. My PT said most start therapy around week 4 after labrum surgery, but some don't til week 6. The PT said if you start much more before week 4 it doesn't give your labrum time to start healing which you need. My doc said the same thing that you don't want to start PT to at the earliest week 4, but he waits to week 6 to make sure it heals more. I would average my pain at an average of 2-3 out of 10 while doing PT. I know at week 2 I was still averaging around a 5 out of 10 just relaxing it, so I know waiting til week 4-6 after surgery helps a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to renegaderob18 For This Useful Post:
maggietaz (02-07-2012)
Closed Thread