It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User
Shoulder degeneration Needs surgery or not?

I have an X-ray of my shoulders the findings are as follows:
Widening of ac joints with Scleratic margins, question prior surgery(I never had prior surgery). Normal acromiohumeral interval. No glenohumeral osteoarthritis . No acute osseous.

I'm getting c-5,6 acdf and c-7 fusion in a month. Are my shoulders something I should worry about? My shoulders blades sometimes feel like a knife is in them and just hanging a little strap across purse on my shoulder hurts. I haven't seen an ortho for this yet.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User
Has anyone had AC surgery due to degeneration? Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwalla57 View Post
I have an X-ray of my shoulders the findings are as follows:
Widening of ac joints with Scleratic margins, question prior surgery(I never had prior surgery). Normal acromiohumeral interval. No glenohumeral osteoarthritis . No acute osseous.

I'm getting c-5,6 acdf and c-7 fusion in a month and want to go into my neck surgery with a positive attitude, but now just thinking i will have this next hurdle after neck surgery. Its depressing because i really need to get back to work my disability will be running out. Are my shoulders something I should worry about? My shoulders blades sometimes feel like a knife is in them and just hanging a little strap across purse on my shoulder hurts. I haven't seen an ortho for this yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
(male)

kolbrun2606 HB Userkolbrun2606 HB User
Re: Has anyone had AC surgery due to degeneration? Help!

Hi. The changing of rotator cuff muscles (AC joint as well as supraspinatus muscle are important for shoulder movements) seems to be a result of changes in the back. I´d see an extraordinary interested Physiotherapist in your case. Their experience and workmanship is about to know what the impact of small changes in our body will have for the future. Changes because of wearing out of the cartilagediscs in our spine may result in wrong movements of the back which will have an impact on movements of the shouder. These changes go very slowly and you won´t notice it until something goes wrong. Possibly the PT can help you by teaching you how to strenghten your back and shoulders. Recovering the natural way is always best.

The Following User Says Thank You to kolbrun2606 For This Useful Post:
Pwalla57 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User

I'm afraid with the widening of ac joints and Scleratic margins that it's hard to turn back the clock. I wonder why the radiologist suggested that I had previous surgery when I didn't too.
For the past eight years I've taught private swim lessons and get pretty buff. But now it feels like everything is crumbling and those years took its toll on everything. I can't even lift a weight right now. I guess I need to take care of one thing at a time right now.

Last edited by Pwalla57; 02-05-2012 at 12:45 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pwalla57:
kolbrun2606 (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
(male)

Hi Pwalla. I experienced unbelievable improvement after my rotator cuff tear operation.My PT explained the degeneration of the rotator cuff as the result of wrong movements and unconscious and unwanted that I´d been making most of my life. My PT told me to keep out of the swimming pool after I´d been a daily guest there for many years. Some movement simply make things worse. The natural "healing method" that PT is about takes lots of time and many years but the result is unbelievable. Hope this is a little help.

The Following User Says Thank You to kolbrun2606 For This Useful Post:
Pwalla57 (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbrun2606 View Post
Hi Pwalla. I experienced unbelievable improvement after my rotator cuff tear operation.My PT explained the degeneration of the rotator cuff as the result of wrong movements and unconscious and unwanted that I´d been making most of my life. My PT told me to keep out of the swimming pool after I´d been a daily guest there for many years. Some movement simply make things worse. The natural "healing method" that PT is about takes lots of time and many years but the result is unbelievable. Hope this is a little help.
How long did it take you to recover from the operation and did you have degeneration in both shoulders? I do Ugh! After my c5,6,7 spinal surgery in a few weeks I do not look forward to this. I taught mostly young kids and used my shoulders and neck muscles alot. I know that's what did it. I'm bummed that I won't ever be teaching swim lessons again after 8 years. Thank you for your optimism regarding the shoulders. I definitely need that right now.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
(male)

Hi Pwalla! On 18th of february 2012 is 4 years since I got surgery on my right supraspínatus(part of the rotator cuff). I recovered for 3 weeks in a RedCrosshótel where food was served.My operated arm was very immobile, couldn´t put my socks on or brush teeth. First week I had to eat full boxes of painkillers. The orthopedian told me I should sleep "sitting in bed" for at least 1 month so the tendon would heal better. I started PT after 8 weeks. My PT would f.i. let me do "sideways lifting", which I couldn´t because also my left supra needed a decompression(!) January 2009 I got a decompression on my left supra, actually a minor surgery through small holes in my shoulder. My left shoulder also had become very stuck, it´s range of motion was incomplete so I had to start working on getting full motion back.After some months daily exercising for 6-7 hours plus working for 8 hours full motion came back. PT told me that a drop on the left-outstretched arm would have ripped my left supra also. This recovery needs lots of patience, f.i. I didn´t get a real night´s sleep for 18 months (!) Now after nearly 4 years since surgery I don´t have no longer nightpain after a hard working day. As a result of the ripped supra my right shpulder is still more sensible to tiredness also my right elbow has a tendency to get a tennis-elbow. I still have PT once a week as it turned out that problems have started decades ago because of a "turned" pelvis. A genetic reason is the cause of ligaments shortening around the pelvis because of poor bloodflow. The lower part of the spine has to adjust and cartilage wears out to help with the adjustment. So now I do exercises to stabilize the pelvis. My PT says cartilage will kind of recover with a type of scar tissue which is no longer elastic like the original cartilage. I feel better every day as long as I keep on exercising. I wish this is a little help for you.

Closed Thread

Tags
ac joint seperation, degeneration of shoulders, scleratic margins, widening of ac joints