It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
(male)

Fellen HB User
Rotator cuff surgery? Yes or no?

So I am still in pain and have done PT, cortisone and RICE. I fell down in the middle of November reaching out with my right hand. I was working so I went to the hospital because my knee arm hand and elbow all hurt. They told me it's just bruises suck it up. Two weeks later I couldn't put a jacket on or pick up a drink because my shoulder elbow and wrist hurt so bad. I went to the ortho who said it's just some bursitis and gave me percocets and anti inflammatories. Went back to him before christmas and told him it hurts I can't move it and I can't sleep. He changed his diagnosis and said tear. I went got an MRI.
I got the MRI results ortho said small tear with impingement on supraspinatus and what appears to be tendinosis on the rest of the tendons. I have a 50% partial thickness tear measuring 6 mm on the bursal side of my suprspinatus he gave me PT and more NSAIDS. Went to PT. Still had pain, the stretching and weights, 5 pounds max mind you was torture. PT said they think I may have fully severed my tendon and sends me back to ortho for cortisone.
I go back to ortho, he says it's not a full year it's just stiff. He gives me two cortisone shots, which hurts worse then you can imagine and more PT. This has been going on for almost six months.

I can lift my arm but it hurts and I can't hold it at ninety for long. When I drive the front of my shoulder has a stabbing pain. My shoulder blade neck and trap/felt area are in constant pain. I still can't reach behind my back and need to for work. I have been having trouble holding things with my right arm, like cradling a bottle of water or drinks I can't hold my arm to my side with out dropping what I was holding.

My question is has anyone ever experienced this with pain going away and coming back after cortisone and does surgery seem like the option? Considering my ortho was ready to schedule me for it before the shots?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Rotator cuff surgery? Yes or no?

You seem to be getting the run around!
So you have pain which could come from your spine or anywhere in or around your shoulder. You initially need an examination of the area, beginning from your neck and then arm. By falling you may or may not have disrupted your brachial plexus, that is the nerves that come from the spine or someway down to the arm. This will determine whether a root is involved and if so which one. This will differentiate between a muscle or tendon of the shoulder being implicated either weak or ruptured.
Then you need to see if your shoulder joint has a full range. This has to be passively by your doctor or therapist and to make shure that it is not the pain causing the lack of range but truly joint restriction. If there is restiction is it a pattern showing the large shoulder joint has a capsular restriction or non capsular restriction.
If the shoulder has a full range then the tissues aroung the joint will seem to be at fault. With this part of the exam all muscles and their power has to be looked at. Complete weakness would show a rupture and pain would implicate a tendon or muscle. There are movements which will implicate one of the barsae also.
Unfortunately with the shoulder it possible to have more than one lesion or even the neck component and a joint muscle or barsae implicated at the same time.
Unfortunately these days most clinicians zero in on the MRI or whatever which may or more impotantly may just be a "red herring" and the the exam is over in a few minutes rather than a getting the whole deal to get to the real anatomical culprit.
James

Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
(male)

Fellen HB User

I had an exam. The initial diagnosis was impingement, after the MRI x marked tge spot it was the tear in the rotator. It's been a month since cortisone and the pain is coming back. I get no relief sleeping on the opposite side of the injury any more. I have been getting sharp pains w some of the PT exercises and every time they stretch and massage it I'm in alot of pain. Ortho just said go back to work full duty and if in 3 to 4 weeks it hurts then decide on surgery. He said no one is in perfect condition an can I live w the pain. He didn't like the fact that I pointed out I was in perfect condition prior to me ever seeing him.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, have you considered getting another opinion? I know if it were my shoulder I would. Doesn't sound like this Dr. is very caring to me. That's important when they are going to be cutting on you. Is the surgery laproscopic (SP?)? IF you do get another opinion be sure to take a copy of the MRI w/ you.

CJ

Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
I had an exam. The initial diagnosis was impingement, after the MRI x marked tge spot it was the tear in the rotator. It's been a month since cortisone and the pain is coming back. I get no relief sleeping on the opposite side of the injury any more. I have been getting sharp pains w some of the PT exercises and every time they stretch and massage it I'm in alot of pain. Ortho just said go back to work full duty and if in 3 to 4 weeks it hurts then decide on surgery. He said no one is in perfect condition an can I live w the pain. He didn't like the fact that I pointed out I was in perfect condition prior to me ever seeing him.
Impingement is not a diagnosis.There has never been a MRI that has ever been read normal. Is your tear relevant. See someone that will make the diagnosis by examining you properly. Don't show them the MRI before they finish the exam.
James

Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
(male)

Fellen HB User

Thanks for the replies. The doc did go through the motions and went w the more conservative diagnosis and then said tear. The MRI confirmed I had a tear in the area I had the pain. The PT and PT doc both think something more is wrong w my shoulder. The ortho keeps saying i'm just sore from the PT. He won't be the one cutting into me thankfully. I have to get authorized for another opinion though. Thanks again, hopefully I can get another doc.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
(female)

Karatemom40 HB UserKaratemom40 HB User

Solved the whole issue! 100% happy with results. Pain after surgery was a bit rough. Stay on top of meds!

Closed Thread