It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

SugarCoated HB User
Shoulder feels stiff, aches and has limited movement after injury...What could it be?

Hey guys.

On Monday, we had to lug wheelbarrows of sand. Where we were pushing them was very uneven, so we were pulling them up curbs and then trying to keep hold of them while we pushed them down slight slopes...We were doing this for over an hour.

By the end of the day my shoulders were aching. My left shoulder now feels "stiff" and there's a recurrent stinging pain. I have had problems with that shoulder in the past thanks to my excitable dog. He injured it once and it hurt for a couple of days, since then no other problems til now.

Any ideas? I don't know whether this is normal, but to the left of my shoulder blade it feels swollen. It's tender too. I can't bend it around as far as I normally can. It sort of "resists" when I try.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Shoulder feels stiff, aches and has limited movement after injury...What could it

I suspect at your age in a week you should be back to normal, do as much as you like just nudging into the pain ranges. Of course if you got this from a strenuous hour and a bit labouring perhaps you should get on the weights and prepare your self for the next wheelbarrow outing.
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

eloisekre HB User
Re: Shoulder feels stiff, aches and has limited movement after injury...What could it

Over the past few months of researching shoulder ailments, I've learned one important thing: typically, only a doctor, excellent physical therapist, or MRI can pinpoint the cause of the problem. The shoulder is the most unstable joint in our body and there are a myriad of dysfunctions that can occur from bursitis to tendonitis to shoulder separation to arthritis to bone spurs to aggravated muscles to pinched nerves to torn rotator cuff muscles. Yeeesh! Time will generally tell how serious this is. If ice, NSAIDs, and rest don't help and the pain lingers and/or gets worse, in my opinion, it's time to see the doctor. Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to eloisekre For This Useful Post:
kolbrun2606 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloisekre View Post
Over the past few months of researching shoulder ailments, I've learned one important thing: typically, only a doctor, excellent physical therapist, or MRI can pinpoint the cause of the problem. The shoulder is the most unstable joint in our body and there are a myriad of dysfunctions that can occur from bursitis to tendonitis to shoulder separation to arthritis to bone spurs to aggravated muscles to pinched nerves to torn rotator cuff muscles. Yeeesh! Time will generally tell how serious this is. If ice, NSAIDs, and rest don't help and the pain lingers and/or gets worse, in my opinion, it's time to see the doctor. Hope this helps.
eloisekre, You say only a doctor, excellant PT or a MRI can pin point a shoulder problem. If you look at the evidence, it is an orthopaedist who is the most accurate and PTs who are not far behind. Those PTs who have passed their orthopaedic manual therapy exams are as good as anyone. As for
MRIs they give more "Red Herrings" than enough. The shoulder is in fact the easiest area of the body to diagnose. Everything is relatively superficial and every condition has a distinct pattern. The common error in a shoulder diagnosis is that it is taken at face value when pain presents in the shoulder when it is a cervical problem. General practice docs seem to know little about musculoskeletal conditions, they have lots of knowledge of serious medical conditions that require their skills. In most places in the world a patient will go straight to a PT if they have a musculoskeletal condition. Not unhappily in America.
James

Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
(female)

eloisekre HB User

Well, yes, I'm speaking empirically only. My physical therapists responded indifferently to my insistence that something was "terribly wrong" because it felt as though I had a piece of glass in my shoulder three weeks after my first rotator cuff repair. I asked the PT staff again and again if they thought I should contact my orthopedic surgeon and they said, "no, just keep working it." Having no benchmark for the amount of pain that is within normal ranges post-operatively I did every exercise they told me to do--for two hours a day, three days a week for several more weeks--almost passing out at times from pain. They were about to add weights to my workout when I had a follow up with the surgeon who immediately stopped therapy and ordered a repeat MRI which revealed the suture anchor had completely dislodged and was tearing up my soft tissue. I've had a second surgery, hence my emphasis on EXCELLENT physical therapist, MRIs, and doctor (in this case, surgeon was implied--sorry for the lack of specificity) Hope this expands understanding of my thinking. Best of luck to all.

Closed Thread