It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

Trysha HB User
Unhappy Bursitis in Right Shoulder

Hi All
I was recently diagnosed with bursitis of the right shoulder (Xray & MRI). I have inflammation and the bone is rubbing against the RC/bursa (?)My orthopedic surgeon feels that ibuprofen, physical therapy, and time (6 weeks)may solve my problem. I had a cortisone injection, but the shot had no impact on my limited range of motion or minor pain. My doctor informed me if I am not better in 6 weeks, he will go in and clean out the inflammation and file down the bone spur. I certainly am not looking forward to microscopic surgery or scars, but I want my arm back in action.I am use to working out 1 1/2 hours 5 days a week, so I am upset with being limited to running. Does anyone have experience or suggestions regarding the aforementioned? Thank you.
Trish

Last edited by Trysha; 03-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Bursitis in Right Shoulder

Do you really have a loss of joint range or is your loss due to pain. If it truly a joint restriction it is not a bursitis or tendonitis. The protocol of a cortizone injection should be to inject some pain killer in first and see if it works then the cortizone and it may take several goes to get it right. It may not have worked if it missed the inflammed area. Are you being treated for you xray and MRI results or what was found at an expert examination? Let know what the diagnosis of the PT is.
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

Trysha HB User
Question Re: Bursitis in Right Shoulder

Hi James. Thank you for your response. My limited range of motion is due to discomfort. I am inclined to believe that the cortisone shot did not get in the correct inflamed area. The shot was given before the MRI. My doctor (sports med/orthopedic physician) said that he will give me another shot before I go to Vegas April 23rd if I still have discomfort. He informed me that the shots work 80 % of the time. Unfortunately, I was in the 20%! What do you think?
Trish

Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

Trysha HB User

I will start PT Monday.
Trish

The following user gives a hug of support to Trysha:
kolbrun2606 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
(female)

Trysha HB User
Angry Re: Bursitis in Right Shoulder

I will start PT Monday.
Trish

Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I find it interesting the cortizone didn't work for you. My ortho used it as a diagnostic tool for my shoulder impingement. It actually worked for a bit, but when the pain came back, it was determined that it was time for the surgery. I have an expert shoulder ortho though. I found out from other sources later that he works on many pro athletes, and there are many in my area. He knew exactly what he was doing. I've had other cortizone shots by other docs since then for other joint issues and my experiences with them weren't as great.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

I suppose cortizone could be used diagnostically because if the pain goes that would prove it. I would rather myself have an anaethetic into the area first and when that worked have the cortizone, that way the chances of the right bit of anatomy getting the shot would be much increased.
James

Closed Thread

Tags
bursitis, shoulder injury