It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

eloisekre HB User
rotator cuff suture anchor failure

I had surgery in November to repair a rotator cuff tear. During physical therapy, I kept telling the PT staff that it felt as though I had a piece of glass in my shoulder. They said it was normal so I continued to push through excruciating pain for four weeks until another MRI showed that the suture anchor had yanked out of the bone somehow and the screw was "floating around" in my muscles. I had surgery to remove the broken screw and to repair a second tear in February. I now have had deep, stabbing pain from my shoulder/armpit through my elbow and into my wrist/hand. There is also a small lump on the inside of my elbow and my muscles look extremely wasted. I've called the doctor twice and he says it's probably just the position in which I'm holding my arm. Of course, I've tried every position I can think of, taken ibuprofen, a vicodin, heat, ice, rest, distraction, and so on. It's Saturday night and I've been in pain all day. I joined the discussion group because I don't know what else to do and I can hardly stand this pain anymore. I'm not young--58 and I do not have good muscle quality to begin with and I also have osteoporosis. I'm wondering if this will EVER heal? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any ideas as to what the heck is going on? Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

The following user gives a hug of support to eloisekre:
MountainReader (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

Irish59 HB UserIrish59 HB User
Re: rotator cuff suture anchor failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloisekre View Post
I had surgery in November to repair a rotator cuff tear. During physical therapy, I kept telling the PT staff that it felt as though I had a piece of glass in my shoulder. They said it was normal so I continued to push through excruciating pain for four weeks until another MRI showed that the suture anchor had yanked out of the bone somehow and the screw was "floating around" in my muscles. I had surgery to remove the broken screw and to repair a second tear in February. I now have had deep, stabbing pain from my shoulder/armpit through my elbow and into my wrist/hand. There is also a small lump on the inside of my elbow and my muscles look extremely wasted. I've called the doctor twice and he says it's probably just the position in which I'm holding my arm. Of course, I've tried every position I can think of, taken ibuprofen, a vicodin, heat, ice, rest, distraction, and so on. It's Saturday night and I've been in pain all day. I joined the discussion group because I don't know what else to do and I can hardly stand this pain anymore. I'm not young--58 and I do not have good muscle quality to begin with and I also have osteoporosis. I'm wondering if this will EVER heal? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any ideas as to what the heck is going on? Thanks for whatever info you can provide.
What a ridiculous response from the dr!!!! "The postion your holding your arm in that's a non answer & makes me furious. I would get a hold of your records and get a 2nd, 3rd,opinion etc if you must until you find a dr your comfortable with. This one sounds incompetent. I'm sorry but it just makes me mad when I hear of a dr that diminishes his patients pain. I'm a nurse and they are usually the best people to tell you who the best surgeons are. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Irish59; 03-24-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: forgot word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
(female)

eloisekre HB User

Thanks for your response, Donna. Yes, you're correct, my trust in this surgeon is virtually depleted. My instincts told me that something was VERY wrong when the screw dislodged after the first surgery, but I had a heck of a time getting anyone to listen. I second guessed myself and did a lot of soft tissue damage by continuing with therapy. After the second surgery, I hoped for a better outcome. But as they say, hope is not a plan. Obviously, five weeks out from the second surgery with unrelenting pain, I'll need to be more assertive. Have you had or heard of any similar experiences? Is suture anchor failure a common complication? Thanks again for your encouragement to pursue the best treatment possible.

The following user gives a hug of support to eloisekre:
Irish59 (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

Irish59 HB UserIrish59 HB User

Quote:
Thanks for your response, Donna. Yes, you're correct, my trust in this surgeon is virtually depleted. My instincts told me that something was VERY wrong when the screw dislodged after the first surgery, but I had a heck of a time getting anyone to listen. I second guessed myself and did a lot of soft tissue damage by continuing with therapy. After the second surgery, I hoped for a better outcome. But as they say, hope is not a plan. Obviously, five weeks out from the second surgery with unrelenting pain, I'll need to be more assertive. Have you had or heard of any similar experiences? Is suture anchor failure a common complication? Thanks again for your encouragement to pursue the best treatment possible.
Eloise, hope it's okay to call you that, if not let me know. I know with my re-tear it was a case of the tendon tearing away from bone and leaving anchor in place in bone. So this I find very concerning. I hope you search for a dr who will listen to you!!!! Don't know where you live, but I live in GA and have a great surgeon.

Donna

The Following User Says Thank You to Irish59 For This Useful Post:
kolbrun2606 (03-30-2012)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
(female)

lavash HB User

Quote:

Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
(female)

lavash HB User

to eloisekre i joined this today as i wanted to reply to your post about you shoulder issues..it sounds exactly like me..its been a yr since i fell!! ..took 3 mo. for dr to find out my humeral head was fractured! sent me to p.t. and I worked at a very physical demanding job the whole time..I too asked my therapist if maybe something was broke? her response.oh no you wouldnt be able to move it (shoulder) if it was fractured!!! that healed by july..and in aug.went to my surgeon again about horrific pain..he said he needed to clean things up inside..i came out of surgery (sept) with the news of tears in rot.cuff! went from oct. thru jan 8th to p.t. no improvement no strenghth just pain..he took me out of p.t. took mri and back to the OP room I go in cpl. weeks to possibly fix/remove the anchors! im 55 and feel my life will never be the same just nice to see im not the only one take care and i would welcome any feedback

Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I went from a rotator cuff tear and compression fracture of the humeral head, through 5 surgeries, up to a total shoulder replacement, and am now waiting to hear from my surgeon to schedule a reverse replacement - last ditch effort to control pain. Forget ROM. I was 54 when this started - 57 now, so 5 failed surgeries in 3 years. I was also ignored and dismissed by orthopods, even against the advice of my PT who refused to continue treatment until I got an MRI. I had to get my own by going to a chiropractor. The first orthopod I saw said "why should I spend $2000 on you?".

Needless to say, things were in bad shape by the time I finally had surgery the first time. I had the total replacement in May (had a hemiarthroplasty the previous summer, but the hemicap was misplaced and it failed - that doc refused to continue treatment, just saying 'you have a bad shoulder.' I "convinced" him to send me to one of his mentors, so he did and now I have to travel 600 miles. I thought the replacement would work - it failed when the subscap tore a couple months later. So, I went from being employed, active, have horses at home, out every weekend, to a couch potato pretty much, active elevation of 20 degrees, totally dislocated joint (superior/anterior subluxation -you can see the humeral head bulging through the skin), lost 65 pounds (yay) and in pain management.

What, is it because we are women in our 50s? I say yes. I had one surgeon insist that I am a woman between 40-60 and they get frozen shoulder, so that is what I have. There is no such thing as an acute traumatic rotator cuff in women my age. That IS what he said. I am sick.

Reply Reply