It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #106
(female)

Booniebear HB User
Re: Surgery Monday the 14th

Thanks for your words of wisdom. That's the best way to learn things.

My husband and I will be on a road trip in a few weeks to find a new house because we are moving back to TX the end of August. He seems to think that I'll be able to drive for TWO whole days. He wants me to follow him towing a u-haul trailor with stuff to put in storage so that we can leave his truck at his friends house and that way he won't have to tow it behind a u-haul van with the rest of our stuffs when we actually move. He's crazy! Lol! I told him he should not get mad at me if I can't drive. Honestly...I don't even plan on trying. How would I use the turn signal? I'm right-handed so I'm glad the surgery is on my left side! But still! Two weeks and one day is too soon.

How long did it take for you to do/wash your hair? Or shave your armpits? Stuff like that?

I'm so glad you are feeling well. That's awesome! I hope I feel as week as you do as quickly.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #107
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

There is no way you will be able to drive like that for 2 days by then.

I started driving after about a week, but only for short distances. I was out of my sling after a couple days. I started driving before I had a lot of ROM back which probably wasn't the best. I mostly used that arm for guiding the wheel and gripping, not so much for lots of the movement. I probably pushed faster than I should have. I'd lost so much ROM and was in so much pain prior to the surgery, that I was actually doing better that much quickly and it made me feel more confident than maybe I should have.

I'm right handed and the surgery was on the right.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
kolbrun2606 (07-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #108
(female)

Bmwmama HB UserBmwmama HB UserBmwmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booniebear View Post
Thanks for your words of wisdom. That's the best way to learn things.

My husband and I will be on a road trip in a few weeks to find a new house because we are moving back to TX the end of August. He seems to think that I'll be able to drive for TWO whole days. He wants me to follow him towing a u-haul trailor with stuff to put in storage so that we can leave his truck at his friends house and that way he won't have to tow it behind a u-haul van with the rest of our stuffs when we actually move. He's crazy! Lol! I told him he should not get mad at me if I can't drive. Honestly...I don't even plan on trying. How would I use the turn signal? I'm right-handed so I'm glad the surgery is on my left side! But still! Two weeks and one day is too soon.

How long did it take for you to do/wash your hair? Or shave your armpits? Stuff like that?

I'm so glad you are feeling well. That's awesome! I hope I feel as week as you do as quickly.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #109
(female)

Bmwmama HB UserBmwmama HB UserBmwmama HB User

You should not drive for a month. I too was in such pain before surgery that I felt well a few days after. I tried to drive but it will only hurt you. Don't do it!! It took me a month to be able to wash my hair. I just had it done at salOns and still do. Deodorant and washing under left arm was hard. I did it anyway. Lol. The only thing I can't do now is put my arm behind my back to unhook bra. Not sure I ever will. Other than that " No pain". Good luck!! Remember to do therapy ASAP. 3 x week.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #110
(female)

Booniebear HB User

I agree with you both. I was just curious. I'm a nervous wreck about tomorrow!!!!! I have a cotton front closure bra. Almost like a sports bra but no where near as supportive which I don't care about that for right now. I don't have anything other than that. What should I wear as far as a top? I don't have any button down summer shirts and it's HOT here! Would a cotton tank top work? Not a stringy strap. Just a lose fitting sleeveless top.

I'm seriously worried. I've had to go to the bathroom a few times today if you know what I mean. Lol! TMI. And my entire back and neck AND other shoulder are hurting too more than usual. I'm guessing stress is jacking it all up a notch.

I'm not sure what to expect as far as pain. On a 1-10 what would you say yours was after the nerve block wore off? It won't bother me. I'm used to being in a lot of pain. I just want to get some kind of idea. The reason I'm worried is about them knocking me out. I'm always afraid I won't wake up. Pain is to be expected.

Ok well I took something to calm me down so I'm gonna lay down and try to chill. Lol!!!!

Thank you ladies for your words of wisdom and kindness.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #111
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Boonie, had my surgery at around 10 am w/ nerve block and it wore off around 1 amish had ice machine going on it and meds on board already and pain was around a 7 I guess. I'm a little worrid that u don't have any button up the front stuff...its all I wore for two weeks at least. even had zip up moo moo type things to sleep in. I slept in my button up shirt I wore home from the hospital the first night cuz my arm was "dead" and just didnt want to try to manuever it to another outfit. I am scheduled to have a shoulder manipulation under anethesia (MUA) on Monday cuz its partially frozen they haven't been able to get it moving enough in PT. good luck tomrrow and be sure to do ur PT at home (I did!) when they tell ya. CJ

Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #112
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Bonnie,
Can you borrow a button down shirt from your husband, I know it is hot here right now, I am in Maryland as wel, but will the AC and the ice, you should be pretty comfortable. I was strapped down pretty well for my SLAP tear surgery and didn't want to change that first night either. Nerve block was great, just make sure you follow all the directions the doctor and surgery center gives you and you will do well.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #113
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I've had 5 surgeries on the right (dominant) shoulder within 2 years, ending with a total shoulder replacement. No matter what is done in your surgery, it is invasive and you do need to follow instructions. Others can relate their own experience, but everyone is different so you can't judge your recovery by that. Some surgeons are conservative, some are not, as far as sling use and PT. Depending on what is done, you really won't know how soon you can drive or such until it is over. Be sure to ask for your operative notes asap so you know what the surgeon did.

Anything that goes on over the head will be difficult to wear unless it is very loose and stretchy. LOL - shave armpits? I haven't had a good shave in 3 years - can't lift the right arm enough to get under there, and can't reach across far enough to get the left pit. Do I care any more? heck no!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #114
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Gala, replacement is what I'm looking at down the road according to the doc cuz of the arthritis. I can barely shave now and dont care either been thru so much stuff.

Maggie borrowing one of hubby's shirts is a great idea. I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #115
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My shoulder surgery was the first I'd ever had. I can't remember how long it took the block to wear off because I had so many problems with nausea and vomiting from the anesthesia. (My last 2 surgeries, I had them give me tons of anti-nausea meds. I learned the hard way.)

A loose tank might work. I'd found a zip front short sleeve terry jacket that worked great for me. I didn't wear a bra home from the hospital. I had to work up to that. Just make sure that whatever you take is loose enough that you don't have to do much moving to put it on. I found big baggy t-shirts also worked well.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #116
(female)

Booniebear HB User

OUCH!!!!! Yesterday the pain was there but not as bad as today!!!! I'm in PAIN! Jeez.

Everything went fine. Except I don't think the anesthesiologist gave me enough anti-nausea meds because man oh man was I ever nauseted! I've had two other surgeries before (not related to this) and I never got nauseated one bit. It was horrible. And then to top it off, the nurse helped me put my contacts back in but got them mixed up. That could have contributed to the nausea. Lol! I tried watching tv and couldn't focus. That's how I knew.

All he did as far as I know was clean it up in there. No torn rotator cuff thank goodness. I can't even imagine how bad I would be hurting if it was! Yikes!

The main pain I had yesterday was my neck. I told the doc about how messed up it was but I guess they can only do so much about that. Must have been the positioning.

They gave me Percocet but I don't like it. The rebound pain is horrible and it gives me a headache. I guess I could try taking my ultram or Vicodin. Or I could just take the Percocet and stop whining. Lol!

They sent me home with my shorts and the hospital gown draped over me!!!!!! I got my husband to help me put on a loose tank top after I started coming back to earth. Ha ha! No bra. I'll wait on that for a couple days. They put my arm in an immobilizer. This thing is huge. I tried sleeping without it but as soon as I laid down....I had to put it back on. I slept in my bed. My lower back doesn't like the recliner a whole lot. But I might have to try sleeping in it tonight if I'm still hurting as bad as I am right now.

My doc called me last night and said that I could move my arm however I wanted since the rotator cuff wasn't torn. Didn't give me any pt instructions, etc. I just have to go see him in like a week and a half. Which his office didn't schedule!!!!! He said they normally do. So I'm not sure what I should and should not do with my shoulder!!!!! I must say.....this was not the best treatment I've been given.

Question....can I take a shower? They've got my shoulder all taped up with a bunch of gauge underneath. The doc told me that I could take the dressing off on Monday but they didn't send anything home with me. So I guess I'll send my hubby to the pharmacy and get some? I'm seriously in the dark here!

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #117
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi, yes the mix up on the contacts is probably what caused the nausea! ugh. I gave up on the bra for a while too, somethings ya just don't care about. hee hee. I was told to take bandages off on day 3 and then I could shower but that was MY dr with MY type of bandages and I had stitches and was told to put bandaids on after that (had to buy those of course). My neck was my worst pain and I found out its because they basically stand you on your head during the procedure and Ihave a herniated disc in my neck, great. plus I have fibro and my traps were awful.

Glad you didn't have a tear that means no anchor! yeah! Maybe you could take something w/ the percocet for the headache? or call him and let him know you're having a reaction to it and they'll change it up.

try LOTS of pillows all around your shoulder, arms and lower back when in bed. It really helps. be sure to put one under your elbow there. let us know if you have any other questions and when you call your dr. about the meds ask about HOW to move your shoulder, what direction. Its important that you do, I am going in for the manipulation under anethesia procedure on monday cuz mine is partially frozen. yuck.

hang in there it will get better. CJ (don't forget to ice it)

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #118
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Sorry about your nausea that can be the worst, hope it is getting better. You can usually just put bandaids over your stitches after you take off your dressing. But I would definitely call and ask his office what you are supposed to be doing with your arm. It sounds as if he said you don't have any restrictions with how you can move it, but he put you in an immobilizer, so that does not make sense then?? The recliner is not always comfortable on the other parts of the body, but it really works for the shoulder. Lots of ice does help. When does he have you starting PT?

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #119
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Well I already had nausea...even after them giving me two doses of the Phenergan. I think the contact mix up made it worse. All I wanted to do was come home and lay down and once I did I felt better. Thank goodness!

I think my doc said the same thing about showering on Monday now that I think about it. So what did y'all do? I've got some really sticky crap on the back of my neck that has my hair all clumped up! I tried combing it out and all that did was rip my hair out! Did you take a bath? I have got to get this stuff out of my hair. Did you have someone help you take a shower after you took off the dressing?

I think I'll wait until tomorrow to see if I'm still getting headaches. But on Monday I am going to call my doctor's office to ask about pt. Everyone who has talked about having this done has had pt. Why wouldn't I? I'm confused. He told me that the immobilizer was just for comfort.

They stand you on your neck???? I have two extra half of vertebrae in my neck. It CONSTANTLY hurts. No freakin wonder I'm in so much pain. I also have fibro so any pain I have is multiplied by like 10. I also have a herniated disc but it's in my back.

When did you notice the pain starting to ease up? I know we are all different. I'm just curious.

I did have pillows under my arm. I can't lay on my back for long periods of time because it hurts my back a lot. The pain is so bad that it feels like it's locked up. So I woke up in pain, rolled over onto my non-hurt side, woke up again, rolled back onto my back, and woke up in a lot of pain in my back and shoulder and neck. Lol! I'm a mess!!!!

I haven't been using ice. I guess I better!! I just don't know how it can help with all of this dressing. I look like a quarterbacker!

Thanks for all of your advice.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #120
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had that stuff in my hair too it was gross. Yeah hubby helped w/ the shower plus I made a temp sling out of old pilow case to hold my arm up during the shower. Hurt to much to let it hang down all that time.

my pain mgt dr. explained to me how they position you on the table w/ like vises and stuff, its wild. My whole back ached for a couple of days from it. it was like stiff or something.

I would insist on PT. its the only way to get your range of motion and strength back. ice will help w/ the pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Closed Thread