It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #121
(female)

Booniebear HB User
Re: Surgery Monday the 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
I had that stuff in my hair too it was gross. Yeah hubby helped w/ the shower plus I made a temp sling out of old pilow case to hold my arm up during the shower. Hurt to much to let it hang down all that time.

my pain mgt dr. explained to me how they position you on the table w/ like vises and stuff, its wild. My whole back ached for a couple of days from it. it was like stiff or something.

I would insist on PT. its the only way to get your range of motion and strength back. ice will help w/ the pain.

That is crazy!!!!! I am putting ice on my shoulder right now. But I can't feel it.

Did you wait until you got a shower before you got that stuff out of your hair? It really is nasty!

It's been raining here all day so my fibro is adding to my pain I'm sure.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #122
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hey not unless you can bend over a sink right now and wash your hair. You don't want to get those wounds wet yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #123
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Bonnie bear,
I am sure this rain isn't helping, I am in Maryland too, and I had surgery on my shoulder the end of January and it is really bugging me today. No hair problems for me as I have really short hair. even though you aren't feeling the ice that much, it is doing something, so keep using it, it will help some. It might be the percocet that is giving you the headaches as it does do that to some people. Are you eating enough and trying to stay hydrated?

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #124
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

Hang in there - it gets better.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-25-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to galalena For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #125
(female)

Booniebear HB User

There is no way I can bend over the sink. Guess I'll just have to deal with a crunchy head. Lol!

I've got ice on it but the weight is making it hurt worse. And my neck is hurting so much more too. On both sides. This sucks.

Going under anesthesia again for manipulation of a frozen shoulder....OUCH! Sorry about that!

Thanks guys. I don't have anyone else to talk with about this. So thanks for letting me vent and for answering my questions.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #126
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Also, do any of you remember having a bunch of sticky tape residue on your face after you woke up? I had a bunch!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #127
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I've had 5 surgeries on the right shoulder in the last 2 years, ending with a total shoulder replacement. Yes, things get sticky from all that is done. I was finding little patches with the metal dots on them - to monitor heart or whatever, for 3 days after the last one.

Your neck might be hurting from the positioning. All my surgeries were done in the "beach chair" position - most are. Just from the short time I was conscious in the OR, those tables are not comfortable!

Orders for PT depend on what was done in your shoulder, and surgeon preference. I was immobilized for 6 weeks after the replacement, my previous surgeon allows patients to ditch the sling after 2 weeks. Did they tell you to do anything like pendulums? That usually starts right away.

Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #128
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

hi BOoniebear -- the first few days of shoulder pain following surgery are not easy. everyone who has written is giving great suggestions: ice (crush some to use less if the weight still hurts?... or try a small gel pack?) --- experiment with a variety of pillows to 'find your comfort spot' (it takes awhile and each of us is different) --- do try to find a med that works without adding more discomfort --- brief sponge bath at the sink might? make you feel better -- have you tried heating pad right below the surgical spots on the arm? sometimes good heat can 'feel good'? i wish i could think of something else that truly might help immediately as i can identify with that pain....... if you know some 'inner yoga muscle relaxing methods', sometimes lowering those muscles can dissipate a bit of the pain............. thinking of you......a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to xilch For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #129
(female)

hello again booniebear: thinking about the ultra strong pain you have been experiencing, please remember that DEFINING your pain to the surgeon's nurse could be a very good thing for you. if, by tomorrow am when the office opens, you are still in that much discomfort -- i recommend you call that nurse (hopefully they handed you his/her number -- if not call the office and say your pain is ACUTE and CONSTANT) and ?perhaps? they will consider giving you a SHOT that can lower the pain temporarily so you are not 'catching the pain' any further...... then, perhaps the meds you have will work better and you might consider taking them PRIOR to the high pain....... stating a Level of pain (from 1 to 10) also might help when you talk to the nurse...... if you had a rough night, i am sure your surgery clinic has emergency numbers and a doctor 'on call'.............to get the possible pain shot TODAY............ you are not expected to live with this high pain level........... nighttime is always worse so i would imagine you are sleep deprived as well -- which can cause other pains to increase........ try to define if the pain is slightly better or still as high...and hopefully HELP is out there for you if you need it........ hang in there, it will get better............

Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #130
Inactive
(female)

While pain is intense right after surgery, it should diminish rather quickly. I had to call my pain management doc after a partial shoulder replacement since i was sent home that day - most people stay overnight for pain control. I had pain meds, but they weren't helping much. He said take as much as you need, just not too much. It was only that day, though. Ice does help - gel packs come in different sizes so they aren't so heavy and work wonders. Get at least 2 so one is always ready.

Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #131
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

I found that if you add 1/3 water and 2/3 rubbing alcohol in small zip lock baggies (double) for leak protection. It freezes gel like it is soft, light weight, and works wonders. Just a thought, I saw where it hurt to ice your shoulder due to weight and thought this might be a temp remedy for you. It is like making your own gel packs, it is inexpensive and you can size to your liking.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

The following user gives a hug of support to sandiemas:
xilch (07-22-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sandiemas For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #132
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Wow! Y'all have such good info! Thanks so much!!!

I had to sleep on the couch last night. There was NO way I would have been able to lay flat.

I tried using less crushed ice (I've been chopping it up in the blender) but it doesn't seem to help. I can't feel the coldness at all. Just painful pressure. My husband said the dressing is at least 2 inches higher than my shoulder. Is that normal? And sometimes it starts itching in there. I just wanna scratch it and then I realize I can't. Lol! I'll try making those homemade gel packs. I haven't tried heat.

My doc never said a word about any exercises. That has me very concerned. I'm going to look up this pendulum thing I keep hearing about. Maybe doing it will help in the long run. I'm going to call his office tomorrow and ask what the deal is!!!!

When it was time to remove the dressing.....was it painful? Did you get it wet or something to make it come off easier? That stuff is STICKY!!!!

Thanks again.

The following user gives a hug of support to Booniebear:
sandiemas (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #133
(female)

boonibear --
i had full rotator cuff surgery and was told via surgery clinic (on a sheet of directions) to take the gauze off within 24 hours......... obviously your directions are different -- but i was told to replace it with wide bandaids. the moment that heavy gauze packing was off my shoulder i think my pain level went DOWN a couple of levels. is there any way you feel comfortable to call the surgical clinic TODAY and ask to talk to the doc 'on call'....... i guess i would encourage you to do so......as another 24 hours of this sounds 'over the top' to me. and yes, find out about when/if you move the arm. so many surgeons have different theories about that....nobody is wrong really.... but many of us feel that minor movements help in the long run...... if you get permission, place your good arm on a table, lean forward slightly, and just hang the surgical arm down, slowly slowly slowly swinging it like a pendulum....... i do so hope you feel better soon -- and that you can rid yourself of that heavy gauze SOON....if not today

Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #134
(female)

Booniebear HB User

I am going to try hanging my arm like you said. I looked up the pendulum exercise. I'm afraid that's going to hurt too much. So I'll try it without holding something in my hand.

I'm trying ice again. Maybe I'm just being a big baby....? If I can tolerate it, I'll just wait until first thing in the morning to get this stuff off!

Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #135
(female)

boonibear --- you are NOT being a baby about this...... you are being very very brave....
don't be too energetic about hanging the arm....just slowly and ?maybe? 5 swings or so and then rest...... if residual pain comes that was higher than before you began, please consider doing no more..........

you're a strong little bear ----

The following user gives a hug of support to xilch:
Booniebear (07-22-2012)
Closed Thread