It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Surgery Monday the 14th

Hi, I'm having shoulder surgery this Monday to "clean up" the joint from severe arthritis and possible partial tear. It will be done laproscopically (I know I botched the spelling there). What I wanted was some suggestions/tricks for post-surgery to help me get thru it. I've already purchased some button up tops and such. I've been told I probably won't be able to drive for a month. I'm nervous about pain management as well, I know its gonna hurt for the first week or so, right? thanks CJ

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
kolbrun2606 (05-08-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Bmwmama (05-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Surgery Monday the 14th

thanks for the hug Kulbron I really appreciate it!! But no one has no input???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had surgery a few years ago. Try finding a couple good front hook bras for when you are feeling better. A good blender to make ice fine like snow has been a lifesaver for me after both shoulder and wrist surgeries. The crushed ice molded around the area wonderfully. I fell in love with my kitchen Ninja chopper. Ask for your pres,riptions in non childproof bottles to make them easier to access. Some people like to sleep in a recliner too.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duh I didn't think about front hook bras!!! what a great idea! so glad I posted here! I have a couple of ice packs from previous stuff I think I can use too. Plus I have an ice machine that I used for my ankle I think I can lay that across my shoulder. (the ones you use specially for pain, has a cooler attached?)

THanks so much for the input! cj

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
MountainReader (05-11-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Bmwmama (05-15-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I forgot to share, in addition to the button up shirts, I used a zip up short sleeve sweatshirt for a while after surgery. the zipper was much easier to do on my own than even the buttons.

Have you had surgery before? Do you know how you react to anesthesia and pain killers? My shoulder surgery was my first several years ago. I found out both made me incredibly nauseaus. (The first thing I did when I got home after my shoulder surgery was throw up. Bending over the toiled with the splint wasn't fun.) During a wrist surgery a couple months ago, I had to make sure I had extra anti-nausea medication while in the surgical center and a prescription of anti-nausea meds to take along with the pain killers. Also, if you are on pain killers more than a few days, you will probably need a laxative as well. The surgeon prescribed me dulcolax (colace) but it didn't work. (Sorry if this is TMI.) I called my GI doc and he said Miralax was much more effective and that I could use a double dose for a few days if I needed to. I think if I'd taken it from the day after surgery I would have been OK. Now I know.

If your surgery is mostly just the "clean up" vs. a full repair, you may be able to wean off of the narcotic pain meds to the OTC ones after a few days. That is how it was for my shoulder surgery. The full repair may take a bit longer until you feel up to downgrading. Your icing machine should be a significant help. I wish I had had one available to me.

Have a plan before surgery for how you will bathe and wash your hair. I needed some help for a bit after surgery. Kind of embarrassing, but it is what it is. I felt much better when I was clean while recouping.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care,
MountainReader

Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi MountainReader, I've been on pain meds for a while now for my back so I know what you mean about the constipation. I use Miralax when I need to.
I have Zofran too because I already have nausea from acid reflux (great, huh?) so we'll see how that goes. They've instructed me to take my reflux meds prior to surgery.

Thanks for the input on the clean up vs. repair I like hearing that. I thought it would be the opposite! so good to hear. Might have a partial tear, not sure though.

thanks again for your input,

CJ

Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi no34evr,

I hope your surgery went well and you are recouping as you should.

Take care,
MountainReader

Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
(female)

Bmwmama HB UserBmwmama HB UserBmwmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Hi no34evr,

I hope your surgery went well and you are recouping as you should.

Take care,
MountainReader
Gezzz.I m wondering where he is?? I wanted to see how his pain is...My surgery is may18th. Praying that he is doing well.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
I forgot to share, in addition to the button up shirts, I used a zip up short sleeve sweatshirt for a while after surgery. the zipper was much easier to do on my own than even the buttons.

Have you had surgery before? Do you know how you react to anesthesia and pain killers? My shoulder surgery was my first several years ago. I found out both made me incredibly nauseaus. (The first thing I did when I got home after my shoulder surgery was throw up. Bending over the toiled with the splint wasn't fun.) During a wrist surgery a couple months ago, I had to make sure I had extra anti-nausea medication while in the surgical center and a prescription of anti-nausea meds to take along with the pain killers. Also, if you are on pain killers more than a few days, you will probably need a laxative as well. The surgeon prescribed me dulcolax (colace) but it didn't work. (Sorry if this is TMI.) I called my GI doc and he said Miralax was much more effective and that I could use a double dose for a few days if I needed to. I think if I'd taken it from the day after surgery I would have been OK. Now I know.

If your surgery is mostly just the "clean up" vs. a full repair, you may be able to wean off of the narcotic pain meds to the OTC ones after a few days. That is how it was for my shoulder surgery. The full repair may take a bit longer until you feel up to downgrading. Your icing machine should be a significant help. I wish I had had one available to me.

Have a plan before surgery for how you will bathe and wash your hair. I needed some help for a bit after surgery. Kind of embarrassing, but it is what it is. I felt much better when I was clean while recouping.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care,
MountainReader
I have my plan in order...strapless dresses,strapless tops. Funiture moved around....gezzz I just want this over!!! Friday can't get here soon enough!!!

Last edited by Bmwmama; 05-16-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add

The following user gives a hug of support to Bmwmama:
MountainReader (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwmama View Post
I have my plan in order...strapless dresses,strapless tops. Funiture moved around....gezzz I just want this over!!! Friday can't get here soon enough!!!
I will have hair done tomorrow.... I have a high pain tolerance!! We will see how good it is!! Everyone i tell what kind of surgery they scare me to death with stories!! I am hoping for the clean up and bone spur only.Doctor said last mri showed tiny tear...not so sure what that means?? I do have a MEAN bone spur!! Just pray for me...Thanks.J

Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi bmwmama,

What kind of surgery are you having? I'm assumming a subacromial decompression for the bone spur.

Good call on getting your hair done. I had surgery on my wrist a couple months ago and thought I was going to be in a full-arm cast for 6 weeks (turns out I just ended up with a short arm cast, thank goodness) and went to see my hairdresser. I told him I would only have one hand available to do my hair for a while. He actually cut my hair shorter (I went short last fall) and dried and styled my hair with his left hand just to make sure the cut would work for me. I loved that he did that for me. Guess what? After I was up and moving around post-surgery I never had a bad hair day!

I only wore my splint for a couple days and started PT a few days after surgery. It took a couple months to get full ROM back. Honestly, I was in so much pain and frustration over my lack of ROM before surgery that I only used the pain killers for a couple days and then went to OTC because the pain was less than what it was before surgery. I hope your experience is as good.

Do you have any additional questions? I'm happy to share from my experience.

BTW, I have a co-worker having surgery on the 18th as well. I'll be praying for you both.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
(female)

Thank you so much. Not sure what I am having. I have a small tear and none spur. Torn ligaments too. Thanks for prayers.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi I had the surgery and was supposed to have the 48 hr nerve block but they took it out after surgery ...stu pid stupid stupid. First night was awful. better now. good luck on yours. cj ps i ended up have full tear and nick in my cartrlidge.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Sounds like you went through a lot. I know recovery will be slow, but I have faith you will get back to a better "normal" and it will all be worth it.

Wishing you well,
MountainReader

Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Sounds like you went through a lot. I know recovery will be slow, but I have faith you will get back to a better "normal" and it will all be worth it.

Wishing you well,
MountainReader
I had my surgery done today. I only had a clean up of arthritis and removal of bone spur. My tear was so tiny he did not have to repair it. I did not choose the nerve block. Whatever they gave me has lasted all day!! I have not taken any pain meds. I have no pain.. I had pain before surgery. When I got home I did throw up many times. (hated that ). That was from gas they gave me!!! I am in a sling shoulder wrapped up till next Tuesday. Tomorrow I will take arm out of sling and do the pendulum exercise. Monday therapy. I can't believe I am not in pain. I was scared for nothing.

Closed Thread