It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
(female)

Punkyman HB User
Frozen Shoulder?

About 8 weeks ago I started having a full ache around my shoulder...about 2 inches down from the ball of my shoulder. One day I woke up in excruciating pain. Tried to nurse it with heat, ice, ibuprofin, and muscle cream...nothing worked. Eventually the excruciating pain turned into pain and each week my range of motion continues to deteriorate. I went to my primary care doctor and she ordered an x-ray and then an mri. The results of my mri show moderate size joint effusion of the glenohumeral joint, small amount of fluid within the subacromial and subdeltoid bursa. It says it may indicate bursal inflammation. The mri also noted a chondroid lesion proximal humerus with benign looking features. There is mild subarticular marrow edema on the humeral head and glenoid and mild edema in the acromion.

Went to the ortho spec. today and he diagnosed me with frozen shoulder. I am 37 years old with no other health problems. I also feel a mass where the chondroid lesion is, but he said it was enchondroma and not to worry about it. The mass is painful when I press on it and this is the area I seem to have the most pain. I have an appt with ortho oncologist next week. The ortho guy I saw today wasn't board certified and doesn't have much experience. Overall I don't feel confident with his diagnosis. He said my range of motion was severe, but didn't offer anything for pain or inflammation, just PT. Your thoughts????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: Frozen Shoulder?

Check out the web for adhesive capsulitis or frozen shoulder, definitely not fun to deal with, but you do need to go to PT to try and keep the joint moving.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings I would definately keep it moving every motion counts even if not really noticable to others. Physical Therapy ordered by physicians has helped some people. The exercises might include shoulder circles and arm circles in a large wide circle making the hands go around as far as possible like those large bicycle tires of the old days.

I would drink plenty of water to help keep the bursa filled with fluid and eat foods known to be anti-inflammatory such as cherries, pineapple, turmeric and also any foods that have been ommitted from the diet unless allergic to them. I would skip the animal foods and dairy foods. I would avoid those foods which contain food additives. I would eat more of the foods containing the vitamins especially vitamin B-1 since some people improve bursitis with B vitamins but would not use the artificially made ones since some doctors are now saying the manufactured ones may cause cancer. Peace, sjb

Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

I think you need to see an ortho surgeon who specializes in shoulders. They're out there. Most ortho center docs may do multiple kinds of surgery, but most of them also have an area of specialty.

IMO, the doc should have given you both some pain meds and anti-inflammatories. Shoulder PT is awful. I had a very experienced ortho who diagnosed frozen shoulder but wanted to try PT first for several weeks. I only had about 12-15% range of motion. I ended up needing the surgery anyway. If it were to happen again, I would be willing to sign anything to wave the initial attempt at PT and go straight to surgery. After surgery there is more PT, which is very sore, but in my experience not as bad as pre-surgery because you do then have full range of motion.

What they do is go in arthroscopically to ensure there is not some other problem and to clean up anythiing necessary. But the fix for the frozen shoulder is that while you're under anesthesia they force range of motion.

Most important is to be confident in your doc.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings, of course anything tried whether surgery with a knife or physical therapy is going to hurt there is no getting out of it. Physical Therapy would need to be done in some form afterward anyway even after surgery. Sometimes there are bone spurs that do need to be removed however. Lemons and apples may help remove small calcifications (they are useful for kidney and gallstones) and provide anti-inflammatory effect but not likely large calcifications and are not recommended for anyone with osteoporosis. A physical therapist said if a person moves to the point of pain but not forcing it to the point of getting extreme with it and moving it slowly and gently, the next time he tries it is likely to be easier and easier until it moves. It can freeze just from lack of motion like rigor mortis if it is not moved it is lost. One more note, when sleeping on one's side I would try not to sleep directly on it since the pressure would push on bursa and also inhibit circulation somewhat. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 07-08-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: addition made

Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
(female)

texas1992 HB User

Please try physical therapy first. I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder 1 year ago in April. I lost almost all my range of motion. I went to PT 2 days per wk for 1 month...it was expensive and PAINFUL. I also got copies of the exercies from the PT and I did them in the AM and PM. I worked it every day and try to push a little further past the pain at least every few days. I also received cortisone injections...which IS VERY PAINFUL...The injections is a temp fix...only got pain relief for about 2wks..........now a year later....I have 98% of my range of motion back...

I don't do the exercises as often but I make an effort to work that shoulder at least once or twice per week so that it does not freeze up again.

My ortho did not think that surgery was the right option..so i would get a 2nd opinion if this is what is being recommended........you will have to do PT's anyway...to restore your range of motion and break up scar tissue if you have surgery....also from my research....it may take up to 1 to 2 years to get it all back....

Good luck

Closed Thread