It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

Rigley HB User
Smile Scared about Rotator Cuff Surgery

I have had 2 SLAP tear repairs on each shoulder, last one in 9/11 with anchors. I went to a chiropractor for migraines at the suggestion of my neurologist for several visits in 4/12. I was sure to warn him about my SLAP repair--he told me everything would be fine. At first, when he just "cracked" my neck, all was fine. In May, he had me lay on my back and cross my arms. I told him he was going to hurt my shoulder, to which he replied, "You'll be fine." He leaned into my shoulders with all his weight and "cracked" my thoracic spine. Instantly, I had severe pain in my left shoulder.
I continued to have shoulder pain for another 3 weeks, and went to my Ortho MD. He ordered an MRI/Arthrogram which shows a full thickness tear of my supraspinatus tendon. Surgery is scheduled 8/14/12.
Can anyone help me, is Rotator cuff surgery more painful than SLAP repair with anchors--how about the rehab? I see it's a long rehab, so was SLAP repair. Anything you can tell me would be greatly helpful.

Last edited by Rigley; 06-27-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Add Thank You

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

Rigley HB User
Re: Scared about Rotator Cuff Surgery

Does anyone have any information about Rotator Cuff Repair surgery?? Any suggestions to help me prepare myself for postop time period? How long in the sling? Is surgery very painful? what can I do to make things easier afterward (I have had shoulder surgery before and sleep in a recliner)?
How about rehab, how long does it last? When does it begin?
Please, please, ANY information would be helpful. I am very nervous about this surgery.
Thanks,
Rigley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Ridley
Wish I could help you but I also have only had the Slap repair done, from what I hear the
Prep around the house issimilar and the pain is similar. Not sure how long your Slaprepair rehab was, but your rotator cuff may or may not be as long depending upon your range of motion whe you start PT. hope someone who has had the surgery gets back to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
Rigley (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
(male)

ithurts47 HB User

make sure you get a cold therapy ice machine if its not provided for you. they can last 4-10 hours and will keep you from having to change ice packs. arrange to pick up your pain meds the day before surgery. i had repair of right rc and labrum and arthritis ac cleanup on 6-21-12. i've had hip replacement and this is much more painful. good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to ithurts47 For This Useful Post:
Rigley (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
(female)

Rigley HB User

Thanks for the suggestions...I expect to have a SLAP repair done as well as RC repair on 8/14. My Orthopedic surgeon said shoulders are the most painful surgergies, My previous labral repairs were very painful. The recliner was the best for sleeping. Great idea about getting the pain meds the day before. I will get the ice machine too. Thanks for the tips.
Rigley

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
(male)

ithurts47 HB User

make sure to get the pain med pump also. it is a ball of med they insert with a catheter that lasts 2-3 days administering a nerve block. it helped me a lot. i am now 10 dsays post op and the pain is much better. the first 4 days are the hardest

The Following User Says Thank You to ithurts47 For This Useful Post:
Rigley (07-01-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
(female)

Rigley HB User
Question Re: Scared about Rotator Cuff Surgery

As time nears for my Rotator cuff repair/labral tear repair, I am becoming more and more afraid. Is there anyone out there who has had both surgeries (not necessarily at the same time) who can tell me if the pain of rotator cuff repair is worse than labral tear repair (I've lad the Labral repair 3 times before)
I'm pretty sure my hospital doesn't do the nerve block nor the pain med pump (ball of med) postop. I want to be totally asleep (general anesthesia) for the whole surgery, which I'm sure the hospital does.
My surgery is scheduled for 8/14/12, and I'm trying to learn all I can about Rotator Cuff Repair and how to tend to my personal needs afterward. How many people had a sling with an abduction pillow?
Any other suggestions would be vastly helpful. I appreciate all info I've received thus far.
Rigley

Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago, followed by 4 more surgeries, including hemiarthroplasty and total shoulder replacement. The scarring was very extensive, leading to surgery for lysis of adhesions. The adhesions came back again, entrapping the bicep tendon, which led to a bicep tenodesis. Then, when that was repaired, I realized that a lot of the pain was from a focal chondral defect (traumatic arthritis). So, I had a humeral head resurfacing done (hemiarthroplasty). That was implanted too high, so it lead to arthrtis on the glenoid and dislocation, and a total shoulder replacement.

All that being said, yes cuff repairs are painful and the recovery time can be lengthy. You just have to deal with the pain as you can - meds, ice, rest. It is better to be prepared - I was not.

The Following User Says Thank You to galalena For This Useful Post:
Rigley (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I'm pretty sure my hospital doesn't do the nerve block nor the pain med pump (ball of med) postop. I want to be totally asleep (general anesthesia) for the whole surgery, which I'm sure the hospital does.

I think most surgeries are done with the nerve block. I've had 5, no pain pump ever. I have never heard of anyone being awake during shoulder surgery, although it probably happens if one can't tolerate anesthesia. The benefit to the nerve block is that the anesthesia can be lighter, which is a good thing. And it helps with pain control - at least until it wears off!

The Following User Says Thank You to galalena For This Useful Post:
Rigley (07-19-2012)
Closed Thread