Shoulder pain going on 8 months...any reccommendations?
Hi, I had a fall about 8 months ago and hurt my shoulder. I didn't think much of it, as I have never had an injury before. I'm a 28 year old male. I workout a lot.
I rested my arm for awhile and laid off the gym for awhile, and my arm felt better after maybe 2 months. I got down and tried to do some pushups, and I felt pain in my shoulder again. The next day I couldn't lift my arm above the horizon! After a week or two of rest, it got noticeably better but there was still a "kink" feeling in my shoulder area.
Well, long story short, it's been about 6 months since I "reaggravated" it. I don't have insurance and am trying to not see a doc and have surgery. However, I am addicted to exercise and can't live without weightlifting and pushups-- I have a hard time staying out of the gym. I'm not the type that can go on living with a "bum" shoulder because I'd kill myself if I couldn't workout.
About two weeks ago, I read some books on PT and educated myself on some basic rehab. After only one and a half weeks, my shoulder has dramatically improved. I have full range of motion and little pain, but I still feel some tightness/"clicking" in the front/top part of my shoulder when I do certain things. I also can feel pain setting in if I do any type of "pushing," like a pushup-- I can sort of feel it between my shoulder and pec. I feel pain when I do the "empty can test"-- that is, if I hold my arm in front of me with thumbs down and palms facing out, and raise it upwards. I can do bicep curls without any pain, and DB chest presses. I feel no pain whatsoever in my elbow-- it is all basically in my shoulder region. I feel as though my arm would be reaggravated though If I did a pushup. This suggest anything?
Also, my insurance DID cover an x-ray-- and that showed nothing-- all my bones looked healthy-- no spurs etc. So it is definitely something soft tissue...
Given that I've responded pretty well to the PT program I've sort of come up by myself, anyone have a reccommendation or imput as to what could be going on? Or should I go spend the thousands to have an MRI and get diagnosed? I am afraid of the possibility of having a tear I have left untreated, and the chances of successful surgery are decreasing as I let time go by. At the same time, I don't want to spend thousands on an MRI only to have them tell me I don't have a tear and to keep doing the PT. Since I''ve improved from just over a week of PT, should I do it for a bit longer? Or should I rush in for the MRI since it's been nearly 8 months and I don't want anymore time to slip by while my shoulder atrophys?
Any ideas/imput would be GREATLY appreciated-- thank you so much!
Last edited by jackcrab; 07-01-2012 at 10:11 PM.