It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Getting shoulder stretreched under anethesia after cuff surgery

Kim, so let me get this right, your surgeon said you DON'T require pt at all?? cuz if that's so that ain't right! And I'm not real sure how to handle that, maybe someone else does? I'd hate to tell you exercises to do because I'm not qualified PT and you could hurt yourself. There are exercises to do at certain weeks of recovery. Maybe you could research it. I was thinking you could call your insurance company about the situation but then again I don't know if that's a good idea. hmmmm. I will try to remember to ask today when I go at 4 but forgive me if I forget because I have another appt at 1:15 to get the Prolia shot for osteoporsis (worried about that too). I had severe arthritis in my shoulder he said so I've got to get on something.

take care gotta go, cj

Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
Kim, so let me get this right, your surgeon said you DON'T require pt at all?? cuz if that's so that ain't right! And I'm not real sure how to handle that, maybe someone else does? I'd hate to tell you exercises to do because I'm not qualified PT and you could hurt yourself. There are exercises to do at certain weeks of recovery. Maybe you could research it. I was thinking you could call your insurance company about the situation but then again I don't know if that's a good idea. hmmmm. I will try to remember to ask today when I go at 4 but forgive me if I forget because I have another appt at 1:15 to get the Prolia shot for osteoporsis (worried about that too). I had severe arthritis in my shoulder he said so I've got to get on something.

take care gotta go, cj
Gurl!!!!!! You need a break!!!

Yes, he told me that since all he did was I guess shave the bone that I can do whatever I want to with my arm/shoulder. No torn rotator cuff. And he'll assess it next week when I go in for my follow-up. I don't know what to think honestly. It just doesn't seem right. If I just babied my shoulder because of the pain....wouldn't I end up causing myself more pain in the long run???!! Very odd.

Anyway....good luck today! I'm thinking good thoughts for ya.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

well its Thursday 3rd of PT after the manipulation. Still really sore or still have a lot of pain whatever it comes from. I asked the PT about when my pain will go away and she said she hoped the reason I was hurting now was because I was still sore from Monday's procedure. This has me a little worried making me think that my pain should be easing up since the manipulation but it has not and in addition I have new pain and its when I use the "stick" to do overhead exercises when I come back down I get a big cramp in my upper arm almost near my armpit. PT doesn't really know why of course. I asked about some exercises to do in the pool (I have an inground) maybe that will make it a little more fun???

I don't know. We shall see.

btw, KIm if you read this, I asked about your situation about your dr. saying no PT and she said just to research arthorscopic shoulder surgery physical therapy and you would find the protocol. Good luck there! cj

Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

felt bad today when I went to PT, woosy, nauseas, maybe from Prolia shot IDK. Still worked hard 1.5 hrs. But tonite I am in terrible pain in my upper forearm, like spasms, almost a 9 at times, sharp stabbing pains. I tried, ice, biofreeze a nd then heat and then it calmed a bit but still hurts. Of course its friday and won't be able to call them in the am . Hope it doesn't keep me up all night. cj

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
maggietaz (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Maggie, thanks for responding, the ROM has improved in two areas only. Yet it is improvement (Since Tue's measurement that is). See I had that Prolia shot wed (I think) for the osteo and that can cause muscle pain, great I know maybe that's it cuz my left wrist is hurting too. Just have to be sure to work hard myself over the weekend that's gonna be hard if I still have all this pain. I go back to the dr. I think on the 1st of Aug., next Wed. PT said pain will probably be the concern at that point, she's hoping my pain will be gone next week (ha). cj

Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

I heard that pain goes away in a few days-hope that will be the case. Use your ice or heat, whatever will help to get you through till Monday.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
(female)

Booniebear HB User
Re: Getting shoulder stretreched under anesthesia after cuff surgery

CJ ~ I'm so sorry you are in such pain! Thanks for asking your PT. I have been doing the pendulum and wall walk exercises. I still can't pull my arm backwards. I forgot about my shoulder - believe it or not - for a second when I had an itch on my back and went to reach behind me as if to hook my bra and OMG the pain! I keep feeling like I shouldn't be in pain anymore. But my neck hurts a lot too. Not just my shoulder. I really think my fibro is causing some of this pain. Darn fibro!! I keep icing both. And I can't remember who suggested making my own gel pack but I did and it's awesome!!!!!! Way colder than ice. Thanks to that person.

I really hope the pain eases up over the weekend for ya. I doubt I'm in as much pain as you're going through. I'm so sorry. I'll keep you in my prayers. Hang in there.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim, thanks for replying, its feeling better this am, of course I haven't done my am PT! ha! Gonnna go do them as soon as I sign off here. I am trying so hard to get m ROM back. oh yeah, one other thing the PT said about you was to get a 2nd opionion but I told her when I tried to get one I couldn't once I had been cut on before, that bites. Especially when you are just asking for something like PT or in my case I was wanting to ask another dr. about the shoulder manipulation process. oh well. Its over with now.

Did you research what I told you ? it should give you a list of PT to do in addition to the pendulum. Sounds like you are going to need some strength PT eventually too. IMO. I'm no PT though by no means. Hope you feel better soon. btw, I took a hot epson salt bath yesterday and it made my shoulder feel so good!!!

talk to you soon, cj

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
Booniebear (07-29-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Booniebear (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #24
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

CJ
Glad to hear that it is feeling a little better this morning- remember that ice will be your friend for a long time. My shoulder is aching like crazy today- I had what was probably my first long business trip (where I wasn't in control of what would happen each day) this week, and my shoulder took a little bit of a beating- not bad just really tight and now sore from the exercises yesterday- think I will have to do some stretching tonight.
Also, remember no matter what the doctor says anytime, you are put under it is a small trauma to your body and you do need a few days to recover and you did have the prolia shot as well- so you have had a heck of a week!! Hope you can have a good weekend.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
noevr (07-28-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Quote:
Hi Kim, thanks for replying, its feeling better this am, of course I haven't done my am PT! ha! Gonnna go do them as soon as I sign off here. I am trying so hard to get m ROM back. oh yeah, one other thing the PT said about you was to get a 2nd opionion but I told her when I tried to get one I couldn't once I had been cut on before, that bites. Especially when you are just asking for something like PT or in my case I was wanting to ask another dr. about the shoulder manipulation process. oh well. Its over with now.

Did you research what I told you ? it should give you a list of PT to do in addition to the pendulum. Sounds like you are going to need some strength PT eventually too. IMO. I'm no PT though by no means. Hope you feel better soon. btw, I took a hot epson salt bath yesterday and it made my shoulder feel so good!!!

talk to you soon, cj

Hey CJ. Thanks again. I see the doc tomorrow morning and I'll let you know what he says. Not sure if I even have time to see another doc for a second opinion before we move. But I'll need to see a new doc in Texas anyway so I can ask him/her. Hopefully it won't be too late by then though!

We took a trip up to PA where I grew up yesterday. My grandma moved down to be with my parents a few years ago when it got to the point that she could no longer take care of herself. I went to get some of the few items they couldn't take with them when they moved her to VA before we aren't just 3 or so hours away. I really didn't pick up anything heavy. But my shoulder is sooooooo sore today! It started hurting really bad on our way home last night. It was just over 3 hours up and back. We visited relatives for a few hours....we (he did all the driving) drove around the town a little so I could show it to my husband because he had never been there. Nothing strenuous. I'm not sure if sitting that long in pretty much one position or being up and constantly moving around, or if I picked up something too heavy, etc. caused it.

My husband and I were just discussing our trip to TX next weekend again. He still insists that I'll be able to follow him in my vehicle all the way down there. It's a two day trip.....of driving allllll day. No taking turns of driving for a few hours. He says it's going to be just too expensive to haul his Tahoe behind the uhaul truck when we actually move if we can't leave it down there when we go next weekend so we can drive just my truck back. He wants me to just suck it up and follow him. He says that I don't really need to use my arm that much while driving. Am I being a big baby here or is that asking/expecting too much from me? My shoulder still really hurts. I just want some opinions. I'll ask my doc tomorrow. If he says it just depends on how I feel...then that would be all the more reason for my husband to expect it of me. Lol!

How are you feeling today? Did you other shoulder start hurting (more if it was before the surgery) after your surgery? My other shoulder has really been bothering me.

I've been keeping you in my thoughts. All of you.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim, glad you got to visit your home town sorry you're having additional pain. I don't see how you're going to drive like that. I think you're asking for trouble honestly but see what the doc says. I have more pain now than before my original surgery btw . glad I have a break from PT but I've still been doing my home exercises but there's no one stretching me out and yanking on it lol! cj

Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Quote:
Hi Kim, glad you got to visit your home town sorry you're having additional pain. I don't see how you're going to drive like that. I think you're asking for trouble honestly but see what the doc says. I have more pain now than before my original surgery btw . glad I have a break from PT but I've still been doing my home exercises but there's no one stretching me out and yanking on it lol! cj
Oh I'm so sorry. I wish your pain would just go away. You've been through the ringer!!! I feel bad about me whining about MY pain. I hope you start feeling better real soon!!!!

P.S. I seriously doubt I'll be driving my truck too. I already have enough pain issues sitting in a vehicle whether driving or riding without also dealing with my shoulder. My hubby will just have to get mad. My body is more important to ME (at least) than a couple hundred bucks!

Hang in there!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh you're not whining, that's why this board is here for support . Just don't let hubby bully you into something that's going to cause you scar tissue or something. cj

Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #29
(female)

Booniebear HB User

You're right. I wonder how long it takes for scar tissue to form...?

And I am so thankful for this forum and all of you!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

There is no doubt in my mind that driving that distance would be very difficult. We did a lot of long distance driving after my surgeries and it was hard just to be a passenger. My husband knew better than to ask me to drive. Not sure if asking a doc would do much good and they can't know the pain and discomfort levels you have. The worst trip I had was driving home 6 days after the shoulder replacement, 600 miles. Not only the surgery was difficult, but I picked some bug up and had headache, nausea and stomach issues. Nothing like being folded up in the back seat of a Subaru for 12 hours.

Closed Thread