It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Getting shoulder stretched under anesthesia after cuff surgery

Hi, I had rotator cuff surgery on May 14 which included some arthritis repair. I didn't start PT for almost 4 weeks per drs orders and am now very tight and behind the "power curve" or degree of stretching that I should be at and so my ortho wants to put me under on the 23rd of July so he can manipulate the shoulder himself and stretch it out. Has anyone ever heard of this or ever had this done? He told me I would feel much better afterwards and would be in less pain, somehow I just don't believe him. CJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Getting shoulder manipulated under anethesia after cuff surgery

I wanted to change the title to manipulated under anethesia to see if I could get some feedback....plz some one???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: Getting shoulder manipulated under anethesia after cuff surgery

MUA - have they tried everything else first. I had a SLAP repair and then my shoulder started to freeze up and with continued PT - 3 times a week, cortisone shots and a lot of diligence in doing my exercises I am almost back to my full range. I was in a sling for four weeks after my repair. It has been almost six months since my surgery, and I am just getting full range back. Sounds a little early for MUA to me. You will still have to do PT after the MUA

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Getting shoulder stretreched under anethesia after cuff surgery

MUA, I was wondering what it was called ha! I can't get cortisone shots due to Addison's disease. I am very scared because I also have ostepenia and was told there''s a chance he could break a bone plus dummy me went a looked at a video of the procedure online (with audio) and it ain't pretty. According to my PT this is an old school technique and she wondered why he was "going in" and loosing it up that way (she called it something but I don't remember what it was). cj

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

If you can't get cortisone shots then I can understand why he would want to do it. It took three cortisone shots over the course of seven weeks before I could even get to about 155 degrees. The doctor will be very careful when he does the manipulation. He is really just breaking up,the scar tissue that has formed. You will have to go to PT right away to ensure you keep it moving.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
noevr (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

yeah I've already scheduled PT for the 24th thru that friday and 3 times the following week and then I get back to my normal routine the following week. I'm just wondering how much pain I will have after the manipulation because I have fibromyalgia already and have been really pushing this PT so I haven't had much sleep since May 14th due to pain. I have a low pain tolerance even taking 30 opana er and 10 opana IR for breakthru. I just hope we haven't damaged something already. thanks so much for your input, it helps to have someone to talk to. CJ

Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I think that you will still find that you are in some pain right after the manipulation and then it should start to get better. For me, I had to take my hydrocodone before PT until about a month ago and I have been in PT since the end of Feb. Good luck. Post when you can.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks Maggie I am getting really nervous about this manipulation on Monday. Since I have osteo I am so afraid of a broken bone. Trying to get these bad vibes to go away. will post after monday, thanks again. cj

Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I have osteo as well! They will be careful. Think positive thoughts, also think about all the great range of motion you are going to have in a few days. My thoughts will be with you.

noevr (07-19-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

no34,
good luck on Monday- I am sure things will go great!! Post when you can. I have to go out of town for work, but will check the boards when I can. I am battling through the last few sessions of PT myself- this shoulder wants to have a mind of it's own sometimes

noevr (07-21-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi well I made it thru the MUA, had problems w/ the block but at least it numbed the shoulder area. I am pretty sore tonight and am trying to move the shoulder/arm every hour and stretch it out as much as possible. I have to take my other arm to do it due to the pain.

I think I'm going to use this thread to track my improvement (hopefully) throughout this process.

btw, so glad I remembered to take my sling w/ me to the hospital becuase my arm was numb for a good while. Took the sling off around 8 pm. I'm icing it every hour as instructed and they said to do this for 72 hours but I think its going to be a long night.

thanks. cj

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
MountainReader (07-23-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

went to PT today and ROM was a lot better. The only problem area is external rotation and PT said it was noted in the op notes that he had a problem manipulating that area but didn't want to push it (I guess so he wouldn't tear or break anything??).

I can now use the pulleys and take my arm a good foot over my head whereas before I could only go to the top of my head.

I am still pretty sore though. I'm to ice for 72 hrs after procedure. I have PT again tomorrow (they sent me home w/ a list of exercises of course).

cj

Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

That is great that you can get your arm up over your head. I am sure it will be sore for awhile. External is out to the side right? PT will really help now and hopefully you will start to feel better soon.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maggie the way I explained external rotation to my son is if you had your left hand at 9 oclock on the steering wheel and needed to move it to the left. I can move it about a foot out I guess. that's it for right now. thanks cj

Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Howdy! I hope all the PT helps you. I'm really nervous about my surgeon telling me that I don't require PT. If I have my arm close to my body and I try to lift it straight up.....it won't go very far. Same with trying to lift it out to the side. And not so much because of pain although it is painful. It's like it's not meant to go any further. But if I try to move it backwards.....OMG the pain! I can't lift my hand up to my hair to wash it - even with the other hand. Pulling up my shorts - owe!! I keep moving my arm though. Even though I have to use my other hand to move it. I've been doing the pendulum exercise. And my neck.....oh my gosh my neck. Already had really bad neck issues before.

What kind of PT do you do that you think could benefit others? I can't believe you go to PT the very next day.

I really hope you start feeling much better soon and have full range as soon as possible. You poor thing! You've been through it! Do keep us updated. I'm pulling for ya. Get it? He he!

Big hug!!!

Closed Thread