It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
(male)

dg456 HB User
Impingement Syndrome - Need Advice on Rehab

I was diagnosed with impingement syndrome in my right shoulder about 8 weeks ago. As far as I can tell, "impingement syndrome" is a generic term for tendonitis, bursitis, or some combination of the two in the shoulder joint which causes impingement of the tendons in the joint. I had an x-ray but no MRI and both the ortho and PT are confident nothing is torn.

I've been in PT for 7 weeks and have also been seeing a sports chiro for some active release and Graston therapy. I'm pretty active and was working out 4-5 times a week, but have stopped any overhead lifting or movements (pullups, pushups, presses, etc.) I've been doing the strengthening exercises prescribed by my PT, plus taking ibuprofen and icing regularly.

I'm getting frustrated because I haven't seen any real improvement over the 7weeks, in fact often times it feels worse than when I started PT. I know this is a common injury and this seems like the standard course of treatment, but it doesn't seem to be working. PT initially said 4-8 weeks recovery but there is no way it will be back to normal in another week. Has anyone else had experience with this process? How long did it take until full recovery? Has the injury happened again since?

Also, I'm going to ask for an MRI and a Cortisone shot. Does anyone know if you can return to normal activity and continue to rehab simultaneously after a cortisone shot? I know it doesn't fix the problem but I'd like to get back to working out as quickly as possible.

Any experiences/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: Impingement Syndrome - Need Advice on Rehab

I have had the cortisone shots about 6 times over the last 3 years. It is the only thing that works on my shoulder impingement, I have tried PT on several occasions. The first shot I got was done with ultra sound after that just the shot on it's own. I get 4 to 6 months relief from the shots and can exercise after 24 hours, relief is almost immediate.

Good luck

Last edited by Agenda; 07-24-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

PT did nothing for me with my Shoulder Impingement. Over the months, even with PT, I lost a lot of my ROM. Cortisone shot did help, but didn't last long. I ended up having subacromial decompression surgery. I was back to almost normal within a couple months.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
(male)

dg456 HB User

Thanks for your replies!

Agenda - have you considered surgery?

Thanks

Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

No not really because the shots are working and I get so long from them, but if I was to get to a stage were I was only getting weeks rather than 4 to 6 months then I would.

Good luck

Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My ortho told me that more than two cortisone shots can lead to possible weakness in the area where the shots are given. That played a part in my deciding to have surgery sooner rather than later.

Reply Reply