It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
(male)

stanleyatl HB Userstanleyatl HB User
Shoulder Replacement what to expect??

I have been told I have to have should replacement on my left side because I have completely worn it out and arthritis is setting in. I have always led a very active life which is probably why it is shot, but what are going to be my limitations with a replacement. Will I be able to play Golf?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
(male)

break60 HB User
Re: Shoulder Replacement what to expect??

Stan
Did you get any replies? Have you had the surgery? I had rotator cuff tear surgery almost one year ago at age 68 at which time the surgeon found lots of arthritis. The repair came out ok, but I still have bad arthritis pain in front and behind the gleno-humerol joint. I've had cortisone shots like every 5-6 weeks for five months which work for about a month. I take them to be able to play golf. I'm facing complete shoulder replacement also since shots just mask the pain. I've read and have been told that I'll have no problem playing golf after the surgery, but I must say that recovery from RC surgery was tough and I'm not looking forward to going through that again. Stats indicate you'll be back on the course in 4-5 months. That's how long it took me for RC repair BTW.
Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

I have had three replacements, same shoulder, partial, then total, then reverse. I am 58 and now disabled. If the rotator cuff is in good condition, the replacement should be successful and you should be able to play golf. I would suggest having it done by a surgeon who only does shoulders, and does a lot of shoulder replacements.

The recovery is not as difficult as rotator cuff repair. Yep, had that too.

I am in excellent health otherwise, and was very active - a horse person. Note the " was". I am still trying to come to terms with all the surgical failures and subsequent restrictions, and chronic pain. Can we say BAD luck.

Anyway, i know more about shoulder replacements and other issues than I ever wanted to, and who the very best surgeons are. i managed to go up the ranks to one of the best in the country.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
(male)

Nebraskaguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by break60 View Post
Stan
Did you get any replies? Have you had the surgery? I had rotator cuff tear surgery almost one year ago at age 68 at which time the surgeon found lots of arthritis. The repair came out ok, but I still have bad arthritis pain in front and behind the gleno-humerol joint. I've had cortisone shots like every 5-6 weeks for five months which work for about a month. I take them to be able to play golf. I'm facing complete shoulder replacement also since shots just mask the pain. I've read and have been told that I'll have no problem playing golf after the surgery, but I must say that recovery from RC surgery was tough and I'm not looking forward to going through that again. Stats indicate you'll be back on the course in 4-5 months. That's how long it took me for RC repair BTW.
Bob

Old 12-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
(male)

Nebraskaguy HB User

Greetings first time have posted. Had right shoulder replaced last year and started golfing and swimming about five months post surgery. Fell earlier this year and tore sub scapular is muscle having that repaired next week. The shoulder replacement is not as painful as the bicep tendon and labrum repair I had three years ago. I would suggest you go through with the replacement you will feel so much better

Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

Best wishes on the subscap repair. When you hope it is over....

Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
(male)

Nebraskaguy HB User

Thanks. This is the third shoulder surgery on same shoulder in three years. So pretty much know what to expect. Sadly it's going to be have to done with an open repair,so recovery will be a bit longer. Just getting tired of all of it am sure you can relate, as it's another 10/12 weeks of therapy and rehab

Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Yes, i can relate after 6 surgeries in 3 years. I did not even have to bother with PT much after the last one since there is nothing left to rehab. All the rotator muscles are nonfunctional and atrophied, as well as the pec and anterior deltoid. I was a strict immobility after the total to protect the subscap since it was the second time, but it ruptured anyway. so if I can offer any advice at all, treat that subscap like a treasure!

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
(male)

Nebraskaguy HB User

Thanks. I thought I was treating my shoulder kindly. Since the can't scan the shoulder because of the replacement they are guessing it's the sub scap. But it could be more. Or could be less. Like you, I have become very proficient at knowing things about my shoulder. All I can tell is I can reach behind my back anymore

Ah well. So it goes

Old 12-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Can or cannot? What about the xray? Did it show anterior escape? Pain? They can do a CT arthrogram.

Last edited by galalena; 12-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
(male)

Nebraskaguy HB User

No they can't do an MRI ct or ultrasound. To much artifact from metal in shoulder. Painful., yep but you learn to deal with it. Really not looking forward once again to the rehab required

Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

I had a total shoulder and they did the ct arthrogram, twice. There WAS a lot of artifact, and it did not show what tuned out to be failure of the cuff, all except the teres minor. But I think it was helpful to prepare for the reverse. If the subscap is torn, they might see the anterior dislocation.

I am sorry you are having so much pain and hope they get it repaired. I had a bit of a disaster as he had to remove the stem and that did not go well. You really never know until they get in there, and even then.... At least I have better ROM - about 90 flex, which is fantastic, but stuck with chronic pain.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
(male)

break60 HB User
Smile Re: Shoulder Replacement what to expect??

All the studies I've read say that shoulder replacement is a highly successful albeit relatively infrequent surgery compared to hip and knee replacements which, combined, are done twenty times more often than shoulder. So most folks choose to live with the arthritis and stop the activities which exacerbate the pain. My problem is that I'm 70 and do not wish to stop golf which I enjoy so much. So I'll do some more due diligence but am probably going to have the surgery.
I would appreciate having the names of the best surgeons sent to my email address!
Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year.
Bob

Old 12-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
(male)

Nebraskaguy HB User

Greetings break 60. The shoulder replacement actually went very very well last year. I fell this year in march and had to have my sub scapularis muscle repaired

As far as the shoulder replacement, I would do again in a heart beat. The quality of life is so much better my range of motion is great. I could golf after about 15 weeks. Therapy very important. I am a vey active person so started swimming after about 12 weeks, and folk like I said a month later. My surgeon was on Nebraska but was fabulous. He specializes in upper body ortho issues, primarily shoulders

His name is Patrick hurlbut at prarie hand and shoulder. He does have a web site if interested. It was about a 3 hour procedure and two night stay in hospital. It was a bit painful once the nerve block wore off.

I work in Atlanta and commute back to Nebraska on weekends and only took about 2 1/2 weeks off work,

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Be well

Dan

Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Bob my surgeon in boston is one of the top in the country. Plus a golfer. He only does shoulders, and specializes in difficult or failed surgeries.

Reply Reply