It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
(male)

dale2035 HB User
Cool How is your TONGUE after shoulder orthoscopy?

My wife had shoulder orthoscopy about a week ago performed by a wonderful medical team...outstanding surgeon and anesthiologist. Everything going well ...even surviving my cooking. However, a strange thing which hopefully is temorary. She will see the surgeon on 9/13 and may get the questions answered then. The PA said the absence of some movement and some sensation ...in her TONGUE (of all places) was a result of something being placed down the throat by the anesthiologist (who was super in avoiding nausea which had followed surgery on an ankle a few years ago). The PA had to cover many topics and did not answer whether the condition is temporary. The shoulder and the rest of the body seem to be doing very well. I don't suppose anyone has had a comparable problem with her/his tongue following shoulder orthoscopy. It is probably so rare that I should not put in a thread...especially prior to hearing from the surgeon...who seems to my wife to deserve all the glowing reviews he has on his web site. If you have any ideas...thanks. Dale

Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: How is your TONGUE after shoulder orthoscopy?

hi, I had shoulder surgery May14 and didn't have any tongue problems. I looked around and found "Lingual Nerve Injury" not saying that is the problem but maybe read up on it and see if it is familiar. good luck cj

Last edited by noevr; 08-28-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: changed wording

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
(male)

dale2035 HB User

Hi,no34, Thanks. I did not succeed in trying to send "thanks." I will try again later. After I posted the threat and received your thoughtful reply, my wife heard from the anesthesia doctor...who reported he may have damaged a nerve when he intubated her. He thought it would correct without intervention, but would see her in a couple weeks. My wife is doing some research...thanks to your help. I checked some last night...and wonder if her dentist (best one in LA county) has had more experience with this type injury. Thanks again for your help. .... I hope your rehab did well and you are swinging without limitation. A friend of ours had shoulder surgery a few weeks ago and is having lots more pain that I thought would accompany rehab. My friend and my wife are tough...and can handle it...but I am not sure her husband or my wife's husband can be as tough...if we have comparable discomfort. Thanks again. Dale

Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

oh I had terrible pain after my shoulder she's not in PT yet right ? just make sure she takes her pain meds before she goes to pt! cj

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
dale2035 (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
(male)

dale2035 HB User

Hi, My wife starts P.T. on Monday. She is really doing well. I think she will not need much pain medication. The only thing that was not at the optimum level...was the tongue. Thanks for your research. She will ask our dentist about the damaged nerve/tongue...which is the only problem. That may be permanent...due to the intubation. The anthesiologist calls each week...and feels bad...but has no answers (probably a PR thing ...worrying about law suits....but we never think of such actions...we presume that we take some risks with any surgery)....Hope your pain is gone...and your shoulder is BACK.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Dale,

so sorry to hear about the tongue problem, how bad is it? Does it affect her speech? I may be having problems with my aneth. I just posted a thread in health insurance section. Its kinda long.

I'm still in PT. I missed a week due to my Addison's disease, long story there too. I got a TENS unit which has helped me a lot wish I had it in the beginning I would be out of there by now.

So by your comment I'm assuming your wife isn't having much pain now and is not taking any pain meds? The first day is pretty easy they just assess you, measure your range of motion (ROM) and stuff. But as it moves thru the sessions it gets rough or at least mine did, depending on what she had done and all. Just don't throw those meds away, but hopefully she won't need them.

There's always icing afterwards too, love that. Ice is my next best friend right now ha! I think I have about 10 more sessions to go and I'm working on strength bldg at this point. I have a 96 yo mom and when I take her to the dr. I have to push her in a wheelchair and she weighs about 230 and some of those ramps are steep.

tell your wife I said good luck on Monday and I hope her tongue gets better. oh I was just thinking, since its nerve damage, there's several meds out there for nerve damage. My son cut his hand several yrs ago that's why I know. Not sure if its applicable in her case but I'd ask about it. There's neurontin, lyrica, topomax, I think elavil is one too. He severed his in half and they were sewn back together. Doing well now.

ok, later, Cathy

Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
(male)

dale2035 HB User

Is that part of your scheduled rehab? ...pushing your mother in a w/c? ...including up inclines and over cracks and bumps along the path. Are you doing too much? Your mother is lucky to have such a dedicated daughter who lives close and is willing to help...even when not fully able. Do you have someone to help get the w/c in and out of the car? You have to have help....you can't lift a w/c...even if you have a suv.
I think my wife had a surgeon as good as his reviews. She did some research ...after not being impressed with the surgeon that was in the group recommended by her p.c. I have a childhood friend who have comparable surgery a month ago...and is having lots of pain with her rehab. My wife's surgeon does not think she should tolerate any pain from the P.T. exercises.
I read your thread. I am happy that Dr. Q. apparently did an adequate job. He sounds like he was new...but soon gone...sort of a "fly by night" person. Your surgeon using him...will certainly be a clear and strong helper with any biling problems related to his services. He probably does not want to highlight any problems with medical staff whose credentials seem a bit superficial. You are going to have any headaches from this...and he apparently did a good job in the area where it really counts.
Thanks for your input about the tongue. It is not that bad...just some mild discomfort...I think. She has not called the ENT doctors recommended (probably just interested in covering the referring doctor). She will use your information in doing some research before her appointment with her dentist. He is as good (my opinion) as her terrific shoulder surgeon (her opinion). You don't hve a sibling whose shoulders are more suited for pushing an occupied w/c? If not....you be careful.
Dale

Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Dale, we use the wheelchairs at the drs office right now leaving mom's at home. I'm also getting my niece to help out when her schedule allows. My brother is working and my sister just had knee replacement. My brother can't take off he works for himself and is the supervisors on sites.

I may have not worded my other thread very well, but Dr. Q did NOT do what he was supposed to do. He messed u the q-ball block and is now trying to bill my insurance co for it and they denied it because it was not on the original drs orders for some reason.

Yes I think I'm going to have a problem with this too, just waiting for his bill to come in. My hubby is going to have a fit when that happens I'm telling ya.

I sure do hope my surgeon will help me out.

Let me know how it goes w/ the dentist, I am anxious at to what he/she has to say.

Cathy

Reply Reply