It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
(male)

purplemonster HB User
Question rotator and labrum surgery post op

I'm going in for surgey for a large slap tear and torn rotator cuff. People have told me post op is very painful. Can anyone tell me how painful and how long. My doctor already prescribed oxy for me.

Another person also told me to sleep in a recliner...

Any help I will appreciate it.

I'm a truck driver and my doctor told me 6-12 months to et back to work but highly unlikely as I lift heavy objects.

Purplemonster

Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User
Re: rotator and labrum surgery post op

Hello Purplemonster --- I had rotator cuff surgery a year and a half ago -- and it sounds to me as if your doctor has already given you good directions and good help with oxy and being honest with the potential challenges ahead of you. For the first 12 hours you will feel fine, because the surgeon will most likely use a nerve block and you will be comfy as you get back home and settled. My surgeon was definitely right when he told me to begin the oxy BEFORE the nerve block ran out of its goodness. "Catching Pain" is no fun....... If you are still in high pain after taking an percocet (takes about 45 to 60 min to work), ask your doc if you can add another 'family' of meds to what you take. My doc allowed me to take ibuprofen WITH the percocet when the level of pain seemed to be near the nauseous level.
You'll have less pain if you can keep your arm in the sling, but balanced with lots and lots of pillows.
Recliner sleeping is great if you have a recliner.
CLOTHES: Big things you can slip on -- cut an old t-shirt down the front so you have something underneath your sling or wear a lightweight robe underneath.
I hope you live with someone -- because if you don't, do yourself a favor and prep some simple easy meals (tv dinners?) so you don't have to go out while you are resting those first few days.
Most likely you'll be able to shower (not bathe) after the first 48 hours -- but quick sponge baths will feel good. When you do shower, try to sit on a stool if you can -- you might still feel wobbly.
Prep your life prior to surgery with some fun things to do close to the recliner so your GOOD hand can reach them --- it's important. Have your phone by you; laptop for communication with friends/family (one hand typing is a challenge but you'll enjoy hearing from people of you contact them); magazines and puzzles; a good book if you are a reader; remote for tv; healthy snacks..
If you are able, 'walk the house' slowly so atrophy doesn't hit your legs. This doesn't mean walking a mile -- just move a little. When you go to the bathroom, try to walk into all the rooms of your house before you sit down again. You'll pant pretty good when you sit down --- but it's good for your ticker.
Get out some very comfy clothes prior to going for surgery. In fact, when you go to surgery wear a really big shirt (or just wear a robe) and pants or shorts that are loose or have an elastic band. Taking down your pants for a 'plumbing experience' won't be fun for awhile (one handed remember) -- so do yourself a favor and wear something you can wear a couple of days that doesn't rub on any parts of your body.
Your directions for the post-surgery are different from every doctor. Some say to 'rest' totally for the first week -- some will start PT right away. If you start PT right away, they aren't going to hurt you at first. They will begin really gently. The moment you hear from them that they are going to put you on the table to 'measure' your arm movement -- on that day you definitely want to take an oxy one hour prior to going. I took TWO (surgeon's directions... not mine) -- and it helped me a lot. I found the stretching very painful -- and the oxy really helped. You might find you'll sleep a lot after those first days of PT.... let yourself rest.
I have lots more to tell you of little tips I learned on how to be comfy --- but I don't want to inundate you with 'stuff'. I can add more whenever you wish -- and don't hesitate to ask questions about it all. I'm a 70 year old female -- and I sense as a truckdriver -- probaby male -- your arms are muscular and you handle a lot of heavy equipment. Your work as a truckdriver will help you -- because your arms are already strong. Females -- well, we didn't grow up throwing the football/baseball -- so we're kinda wusses in that area.
I wish you luck. You'll do fine -- try to enjoy the time off from work -- and try to work hard when its time for 'homework' on those PT exercises. Again, they will start out slowly -- and then keep on adding to your wad of movements. They are SOOOOOOO important to your future work and life.........

Last edited by Administrator; 10-01-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply