It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
(male)

hunkrc HB User
Rotator Cuff Bone Spur

After a year of excrutiating pain, I had an examination and an MRI. The result: Bone Spur in my left shoulder. The initial treatment "will be cortisone shot". I have two questions (actually many...but I'll keep it to two):

1. The start of the pain was "event specific"...it occured on the driving range as I attempted to over rotate my wrists on one swing. Prior to this one swing, I had never experienced any discomfort in the shoulder, and this one swing took me to my knees. Thus, I question the diagonisis...wouldn't bone spurs have been at least "bothersome" prior to this one event?

2. I have heard/read that cortisone is damaging to the existing cartiledge and thus only allowed to occur 2-3 times annually. Does cortisone "fix" bone spurs, or just mask the pain? Years ago I had a cortisone shot in my knee and it was the most painful shot I ever had....should I expect any less in this shoulder location?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Re: Rotator Cuff Bone Spur

I have had bone spurs 3 times. Had the shots and therapy and rest and all of that other stuff, but nothing seemed to work, so finally had surgery so they could remove them, but when they went in there was also a tear in my rotator cuff do to the bone spurs and letting it go so long I was told. After the 3rd time they came back they finally removed part of my clavical. Haven't had any bones spurs back since that. My pain came on all of a sudden with the bone spurs. The thing is each person is different. Some respond to shots or other means and some it takes surgery. Don't be afraid to ask your doc questions because you want to feel good about your doc. You are the patient, so don't settle for anything then answers that you understand and feel good about or find another doc. The shots never got rid of the bone spurs and I don't think the shots do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Do not wait too long before having bone spurs removed or your shoulder will end up like "shag carpet" and possibly cut muscles/tendons. Every time you use your arm the bone spurs do more damage. Impingement goes along with bone spurs.

I had bone spurs with impingement in both shoulders removed in the past two years. It does take a year to heal each one and gain strength back to normal. It is necessary to have physical therapy after surgery in order to regain use and strength back to normal. You need to do the physical therapy exercises at home on daily basis for best recovery.

The shoulder I waited almost too long to have surgery took longer to recover than the shoulder I did not wait so long.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB User

Cortisone shots will not do a thing for bone spurs.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

Withdrawz HB User

Hi hunkrc .. i too have both shoulders stuffed due to spurs,annoying i know..mine was a gradual pain, then unbearable it practically made me scream moving my arm a certain way.I had an xray + scans,diagnosed with "subacromial bursitis"..was sent along for a ct steriod injection.Didnt do a bloody thing!lol
I seeked accupunture,that was amazing ( i got instant relief but it came back on the 2nd 3rd day)as long as you were in a laying postion( not sitting)
Im now pondering surgery if thats my only option to physically get back to 'normal',if such a word,lol.

p.s. doctors will put you thru the cortisone first. I wont have any more though.

Last edited by Withdrawz; 10-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB User

You do not have to allow the doc to do a cortisone shot first. That was also done with me - huge mistake. I had a major accident - no cortisone was going to help repair a completely torn cuff and crushed bone. But he insisted AND refused to order a MRI, saying I was just a middle aged woman - who cares about spending money on me. The minute any doc pulls out a needle on the first visit, I'd run out of there. And it is has been proven that cortisone shots CAN weaken the tendon and interfere with healing.

The Following User Says Thank You to galalena For This Useful Post:
Withdrawz (10-28-2012)
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
(female)

abby20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkrc View Post
After a year of excrutiating pain, I had an examination and an MRI. The result: Bone Spur in my left shoulder. The initial treatment "will be cortisone shot". I have two questions (actually many...but I'll keep it to two):

1. The start of the pain was "event specific"...it occured on the driving range as I attempted to over rotate my wrists on one swing. Prior to this one swing, I had never experienced any discomfort in the shoulder, and this one swing took me to my knees. Thus, I question the diagonisis...wouldn't bone spurs have been at least "bothersome" prior to this one event?

2. I have heard/read that cortisone is damaging to the existing cartiledge and thus only allowed to occur 2-3 times annually. Does cortisone "fix" bone spurs, or just mask the pain? Years ago I had a cortisone shot in my knee and it was the most painful shot I ever had....should I expect any less in this shoulder location?
ANSWER to your question NO it does not fix bone spurs, those have to be shaved off. And they can reoccur. Simple 1 hr lap surgery can do that, IF you can find a doc willing to do it. Good luck finding one, let us know when you do. Lots of us have bone spurs in many places, some docs will take off heel spurs but not want to go near things like spinal or rotator cuff spurs.

I woke up with the pain unable to raise my arm at all. Partial tear, cortisone shot worked all of 3 weeks. Now 3 years later it is a full tear. I've had 2 cervical nerve blocks, one gave me 3 months relief, the other did not work. 2 more injections Medrol based, I am allergic to the Celestone based one. I am nearly bone on bone C 3-7 and have had additional DR and PT cause damage to my spine. Popped a compression fracture at L 4/5 which is now crumbling into my spine. Yet not one doc will treat it. I am now told I have both Osteoarthritis and osteoprosis -3.1T, which is bad. And can't take the drugs because of the GI and muscle side effects. I also have Fibromyalgia, that is why I react so strongly to meds that effect muscles.

It it is a partial tear they won't do surgery, if it is to small of a full tear ditto. Which makes no sense to me, why not put in a couple of stitches with Lap surgery so it does not tear more after you cleaned out the torn tissue?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
(female)

abby20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegaderob18 View Post
I have had bone spurs 3 times. Had the shots and therapy and rest and all of that other stuff, but nothing seemed to work, so finally had surgery so they could remove them, but when they went in there was also a tear in my rotator cuff do to the bone spurs and letting it go so long I was told. After the 3rd time they came back they finally removed part of my clavical. Haven't had any bones spurs back since that. My pain came on all of a sudden with the bone spurs. The thing is each person is different. Some respond to shots or other means and some it takes surgery. Don't be afraid to ask your doc questions because you want to feel good about your doc. You are the patient, so don't settle for anything then answers that you understand and feel good about or find another doc. The shots never got rid of the bone spurs and I don't think the shots do.
Hubby is going through the same thing, both shoulders equal pain. Ortho cleaned out one shoulder, no improvement. Now they are talking partial shoulder replacement. The knee worked well, but was done in his 70's he'd suffered with it since his 30's. Car accident. In fact he sees the Ortho today once again, the pain has become unbearable and his tolerance for loretabs has stopped working, putting him into drug induced IBS. He is meek and does what they tell him to do.

Me they don't even want to see come in the door. I am being offered an experimental $10K which I have to pay for fat stem cell treatment. They believe most of all my pain is coming from the spine from Hades. I'm the rebel and am not afraid to tell them they are liars or fire one. I do a ton of research and know there are treatments out there that do not do the damage of full knee or full shoulder replacements, or leaving a lumbar compression fracture unfixed. The later takes 1 hr Lap surgery fairly safe, just like taking off the bone spurs. It is an injection of bone cement that stablizes the compression fracture.

Word to the wise check out your doc and hospital they use, some are not worth spit and some hospitals are so staff infected you don't want to go there for surgery. BIL got a whopping staff infection following back surgery he is a diabetic and nearly died, they had to go back in and clean out the infection. At least the surgery was successful other wise.

Reply Reply

Tags
bone spurs removed, cortisone injection, rotator cuff pain