It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

Neptune227 HB User
Multiple shoulder surgeries

I am a physical therapist and --ironically enough-- I got injured on the job. I suffered a subluxation/dislocation. I couldn't tell which because it happened so fast and I immediately popped it back in. I got an MRI 2 months after the injury (gotta love workers comp) and it showed a healing contusion on the head of my humerus, as well as signs of neuropraxia. There was also tendonosis of my supraspintus but that's chronic and unrelated to the injury.

I had an ORIF to fuse my acromion in 2001. In 2002 I had a subacromial decompression in January and a distal clavicle resection in July when they also removed the hardware from the ORIF. Things were good until 2008 when I developed multidirectional instability and had to go for a capsular plication. Since then I have never actually had a "pain free" day but after that dislocation, I'm reeling! It's getting worse, even with therapy. I feel like a traitor to my profession!

The only pain medication that works for me is tramadol but I am concerned about long term use. My @$$hole dr also won't prescribe it because he thinks I'm either faking it or I'm a junkie... Nevertheless, I really just have some questions about my prognosis.

Is surgery number 5 looming around the corner? I'm going for an emg to see if there really is nerve damage. How long will that take to heal? Are there worthwhile herbal/nutritional supplements I can take for the pain? It's starting to make me depressed and anxious because I can't do my job. I can't even open a damn window without pain. Does anyone have any insight?

The following user gives a hug of support to Neptune227:
MountainReader (10-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
(female)

Clairethebear17 HB User
Re: Multiple shoulder surgeries

I have multidirectional shoulder instability as well on my 6 major shoulder dislocation. I was told that surgery couldn't help people with this because they can't reconstruct it when it moves 2 or more directions... I may be different as I am 13... But I was on morphine for a while but when it ended I was screaming in pain for a week. After that though I got on a good combo of Tylenol 1s and 700 mg of Advil alternating every 2 hours. Try going to a different doctor and see if he will get you tramadol and Tylenol combined but on a lower dose and try to work yourself off it it helps trust me.

Good luck,Claire

Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

Clairethebear17 HB User

I have multidirectional shoulder instability as well on my 6 major shoulder dislocation. I was told that surgery couldn't help people with this because they can't reconstruct it when it moves 2 or more directions... I may be different as I am 13... But I was on morphine for a while but when it ended I was screaming in pain for a week. After that though I got on a good combo of Tylenol 1s and 700 mg of Advil alternating every 2 hours. Try going to a different doctor and see if he will get you tramadol and Tylenol combined but on a lower dose and try to work yourself off it it helps trust me.

Good luck,Claire

Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
(female)

Iseekanswers HB User

I agree.. Try the tramadol Tylenol combo. I am kinda in the same boat. Lots of pain having my third surgery today in fact. It's hard for a doctor to understand the pain and frustration unless they have been through it. The key is to take the pills as prescribed and actually tramadol is also used to treat depression in some cases.. Maybe if you saw a therapist they could recommend that you need the tramadol. It helps me with my mood which is great since I can't take anything. Good luck to you.. Emg is fun fun! Had one months ago.. It's really weird but not too bad.

Reply Reply